Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate
A 6 14.63%
B 9 21.95%
C 3 7.32%
D 10 24.39%
F - Too hot not enough green!! 16 39.02%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2011, 07:38 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times

Advertisements

Although I was only here once – for just 48 hours - while passing through, Lake Havasu, Arizona is one of the strangest places I’ve ever been; a hot desert climate, with all the typical climate conditions one would expect in a lowland desert; At least 8 months of the year daily highs are above 80 F (and often over 100 F)…winters are quite mild with high temps in the 60’s and 70’s F (although many times each winter daily highs will crack 80 F) and no snow or frost. Although palms and citrus thrive in Lake Havusa - much of the year is truly arid, with only 3 inches of rain a year (although sometimes the summer monsoon might drop triple that amount in a year). Given the subtropical latitude, arid climate, and nearly non-stop high pressure, sunshine hrs are quite high (around 3300 annually I think). Cold weather fans will truly hate Lake Havasu I’m sure.

Yet, in the middle of this bone dry desert climate…is strangely a LAKE! The area has become a major winter resort in the USA, and BOATING is actually the biggest draw (lol). Homes in Lake Havasu, while modern and new, have little green around them. Although I prefer a greener tropical type climate with a wet/dry season (think Aw Miami, Rio…ect)…Lake Havasu proves you don’t have to reside on a tropical/subtropical seacoast to enjoy water, boating, and palm trees – lol.

Lake Havasu:

Boating in the desert

Your out of luck if you want alot of "green" in your landscape

Lake Havasu City, Arizona - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I give it a B -....just a little too hot and not enough green. Yet, I'm impressed it has the look of a coastal resort city...yet it is in the lowland desert.

Last edited by wavehunter007; 11-07-2011 at 08:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
F-, that place looks depressing especially that house.

Old 11-07-2011, 07:56 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
I don't care for dry climates, and this one is very dry. Any place with average highs above 110°F will rate poorly for me. The pleasant half a year from Mid October to April saves it from an F.

So D.

Interestingly, this must be, at least in the summer, one of the hottest places in the US, if not the world. Its summers are slightly hotter than Bagdad or Riyadh. Mean July temperature of 98.3°F. Where less in the world has a hotter mean? And a record temperature of 128°F

Strange retirement destination. And the London Bridge sitting in the middle of town feeling homesick for some cool gloomy weather.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:15 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I give it a solid "B".. summers are a bit on the warm side even for me... but winters look half-decent

Old 11-07-2011, 08:22 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,198 times
This place is a totally vile and inappropriate setting for that nice bridge.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:25 PM

5,069 posts, read 8,594,884 times
B for climate, but not for aesthetics!

Old 11-07-2011, 08:42 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I don't care for dry climates, and this one is very dry. Any place with average highs above 110°F will rate poorly for me. The pleasant half a year from Mid October to April saves it from an F.

So D.

Interestingly, this must be, at least in the summer, one of the hottest places in the US, if not the world. Its summers are slightly hotter than Bagdad or Riyadh. Mean July temperature of 98.3°F. Where less in the world has a hotter mean? And a record temperature of 128°F

Strange retirement destination. And the London Bridge sitting in the middle of town feeling homesick for some cool gloomy weather.
I would guess your right…that July mean of 98 F (average July high 111.3 F/44.1 C ) in Lake Havasu is about as high of a monthly mean temp as I’ve ever seen;

Nowhere in the Southern Hemisphere has a Jan monthly mean temp anywhere near what Lake Havasu has in July. In the Northern Hemisphere - there are only a few as I remember, like Jacobabad, Pakistan (July mean 98 F)….Kayes, Mali (July mean 96 – 97 F)…and a few places in Algeria and Ethiopia.

Yes, the London Bridge is quite ironic in this climate - lol

Old 11-07-2011, 08:46 PM

3,295 posts, read 7,013,476 times
B- at first thought for having those 3-4 hot months that are a little over the top for me even though I like hot climates.

Also, too dry and the sun might be overwhelming so if I experienced it for a while, I might not be a fan. If it's the case, I'd then downgrade my rating.

Quote:

Yeah, that really does surprise me that this is the hottest climate I've seen so far, in terms of the average summer temps (rather than mean annual), other than Death Valley.

I am actually quite intrigued at how hot the summer high peaks even beats out the stats I've seen so far for Africa/Mid-east/Asia locations. It's especially surprising considering those other continents are bigger, with larger deserts too, and the American southwest desert isn't physically that large by comparison.

Also Lake Havasu City isn't below sea level, not like Death Valley.

Quote:
And the London Bridge sitting in the middle of town feeling homesick for some cool gloomy weather.
lol

Old 11-07-2011, 08:48 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I would guess your right…that July mean of 98 F (average July high 111.3 F/44.1 C ) in Lake Havasu is about as high of a monthly mean temp as I’ve ever seen;
Death Valley has a mean of 102°F but it's not really inhabited.

Old 11-07-2011, 08:50 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
F

Winters are okay, but not enough to redeem for the sunshine, dryness, and horrid summers.

Quote:
Haha
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather