Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2011, 08:50 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,922,344 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
But it's mild (and rainy) winters more than makes up for it .
From what I can remember, it's not unusual for San Francisco to get over 20C in January/February - on some days that is - and I don't find anything wrong with the fog rolling in especially after several days of hot and dry conditions and whilst the cool and foggy summer conditions suits me just fine, the rather cold wind is a pain in the neck, take that away and all would be fine . If I sound like a San Francisco fan - I am, I love that city to pieces
I remember looking at the temp reading at Candlestick Park during a Giants game and the temp was 47F at night in summer. When you are used to summer nights that get down to around 70F just before sunrise, that was freezing!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2011, 08:57 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,509 times
I love oceanic/maritime climate, cloudy days, drizzles and cool to mild temperatures. 1500 hours of sunshine or less would always be nice enough for me!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:00 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,793,982 times
It all depends on temperature for me, and rainfall.

For example, San Francisco is, on the whole, too cool for me in every month. That being said, it's so incredibly sunny, with 3000+ hours per year, that I never seem to mind it while I'm there, even though I was wearing a jacket in some of its warmest months ( my visits in June and October ).

Conversely, in places like Miami in summer, I tend to enjoy myself far more when a raincloud starts moving in, even if the temperature is bobbing around 32C and humid.

In both these cases though, there are limits. I doubt I'd like 40C and humid even when shielded from the sun, and I know from experience that an average -25 day in Calgary is not made better by deep blue skies and pallid sunshine.

In general though, the hotter you go, the cloudier I like it.

San Francisco is good: San Francisco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

But a climate like, say, Singapore commends itself with lower sunshine hours:

Singapore - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

On other hand, cold, clammy, dark places like Glasgow are a misery:

Glasgow - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I always tended to feel warmer in my home town of Victoria then I did in England, despite the fact that the temperature stats are very similar overall. The only factor I can chalk it down to is the extra sunlight.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:04 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,458,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
I remember looking at the temp reading at Candlestick Park during a Giants game and the temp was 47F at night in summer. When you are used to summer nights that get down to around 70F just before sunrise, that was freezing!
I had something similar at a music festival in mid July in upstate New York. Was warm in the daytime and I had shorts and a T-shirt. Low was in the mid 40s and was probably around in the low 50s when I was outside around midnight. Brr.

I'm glad 70°F summer nights are rare here. And nights in the 40s!

Old 11-11-2011, 09:13 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,349,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Some parts of southern Victoria/WA/SA and Tasmania get temperatures that low in mid-summer, depending on the airflow naturally. In a northerly - hot, dry and windy, from the opposite direction, the reverse. Southern areas - namely Invercargill and Dunedin - of the South Island is subjected to this too. Another thing in San Francisco's favour is that the humidity, especially at night, makes it feel much more warmer than it actually is...
70F/21C nights is quite common here especially from January - March but I'd prefer the cool nights than the hot and humid ones

Old 11-11-2011, 09:36 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,215,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Very low. I prefer cloudy, rainy, cold days. I lived in Miami where it was non stop sun, all year round. I'm quite over it, actually. Sure, I like the sun sometimes but I really do prefer cloudy, rainy and cold.

I'd say less than 500 hours of sunlight would make me happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela
I love oceanic/maritime climate, cloudy days, drizzles and cool to mild temperatures. 1500 hours of sunshine or less would always be nice enough for me!

Old 11-11-2011, 10:02 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,524,538 times
Im surprised at how many people love that cloudy dark gloomy kind of weather.

Although, being in a forum for a while now....not so much.

Learned that there are people for everything. So many different tastes.

Old 11-11-2011, 10:17 AM

1,801 posts, read 3,553,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Im surprised at how many people love that cloudy dark gloomy kind of weather.

Although, being in a forum for a while now....not so much.

Learned that there are people for everything. So many different tastes.
Weather-wise (and in other ways too), Ushuaia in Argentina is the sort of place I'd love!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:02 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,524,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noela View Post
Weather-wise (and in other ways too), Ushuaia in Argentina is the sort of place I'd love!

Ushuaia seems like a beautiful place!! I mean all those snowy mountains, penguins, glaciars, and also the gelid coast. Its definetely a place i would love to visit sometime.
Weather wise, though........so gloomy! You must love rain (200 days a year of rain) snow (it can snow in summer), cloudiness and cold!

Old 11-11-2011, 11:53 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,596,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Ushuaia seems like a beautiful place!! I mean all those snowy mountains, penguins, glaciars, and also the gelid coast. Its definetely a place i would love to visit sometime.
Weather wise, though........so gloomy! You must love rain (200 days a year of rain) snow (it can snow in summer), cloudiness and cold!
Beautiful place, ghastly climate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather