Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 08:58 AM

9 posts, read 101,517 times

Advertisements

I was a competitive swimmer. Swam with Harry Gallagher when I was younger and made the State finals in my region. I used to swim in an open pool in unheated water close to the beginning/end of the season. When one hit the water, first one felt nothing, then one got colder and colder until one could barely move. Had my father not been at the poolside to rub me down I would have frozen to the spot. In those conditions I reached state swimming speeds. Because of my experiences I consider a lot of people are wimps who can't tolerate anything outside their comfort zone.
I feel claustrophobic in water over 27C. Because of that I cannot find a local pool that I can swim in and I have to travel over 90 minutes to the nearest suitable pool. Unfortunately, I rarely have the time to do so. So I've gone from swimming 6.5km or more every week to not swimming at all. I really miss swimming, but unless someone dies in one of these overheated pools I seriously doubt anything will change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2014, 07:59 PM

14,498 posts, read 9,384,676 times
I hate swimming in cold water. I definitely need to it be warm, more so than I used to when I was younger. This past July when I was down the shore we were experiencing way colder than average ocean temperatures. I think it was around 61F (16C). I went in and at first the cold just produced this pain that just shot up my legs... not fun. I eventually got used to it a bit, but got out after not too long because it wasn't too fun. Then I went down the shore in late August and the water temp was around 75F (24C) and that was soo much better. I like it to be at least 80F, though. I've swum in tropical waters before and our ocean temperatures will just never truly satisfy me anymore.

I was down at Kiawah Island, South Carolina this past December and I heard the ocean temperature was in the upper 50s (around 15C) and I thought, hey why not go in up to my knees. So I did that... big mistake. That same pain just shot up my legs because I probably went in too fast. If it weren't for that, I probably could have gotten used to the water and swum in it for 10-15 minutes or so before getting too cold.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:01 PM

11,879 posts, read 14,143,262 times
52 F for 35 minutes .

Did it in Arizona as a child. Air temperature was 80 F and dew point was 39 F. Wind speed was 19 mph.

I usually shower in 90 F water during winter and 59 F water in summer.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:26 PM

4,965 posts, read 5,668,641 times
Swimming, 30°C water.

Bath: 38-40°C water.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:35 PM

11,645 posts, read 12,841,227 times
Water temp 21C

Air temp above 35C

Old 01-14-2014, 08:38 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,313,527 times
So you wouldn't go swimming when it's 34 C outside?

My minimum temp for swimming comfortably out is about 25 C, below that is a bit cool. Water temp above 20 C.

Old 01-14-2014, 08:49 PM

12,059 posts, read 13,794,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated_01 View Post
I was a competitive swimmer. Swam with Harry Gallagher when I was younger and made the State finals in my region. I used to swim in an open pool in unheated water close to the beginning/end of the season. When one hit the water, first one felt nothing, then one got colder and colder until one could barely move. Had my father not been at the poolside to rub me down I would have frozen to the spot. In those conditions I reached state swimming speeds. Because of my experiences I consider a lot of people are wimps who can't tolerate anything outside their comfort zone.
I feel claustrophobic in water over 27C. Because of that I cannot find a local pool that I can swim in and I have to travel over 90 minutes to the nearest suitable pool. Unfortunately, I rarely have the time to do so. So I've gone from swimming 6.5km or more every week to not swimming at all. I really miss swimming, but unless someone dies in one of these overheated pools I seriously doubt anything will change.
Woe is you, 27C water is so difficult to tolerate but you judge those who can't take unheated water?

So you judge anyone that can't take a freezing pool as a wimp but don't want anyone to judge you as a wimp because you can't take swimming in 27C water? Sorry, pot meet kettle. 27C water isn't even that warm...

Old 01-14-2014, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frustrated_01 View Post
So 27C is outside your comfort zone and you can't tolerate it, what does that make you by your own logic?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:00 PM

Air temp above 80 then water temp must be above 75
Air temp above 90 then water temp must be above 70
Air temp above 95 then water temp must be above 68
Air temp above 100 then water temp must be above 50

One of the most pleasant experiences I had was white water rafting the Merced River. Water temperature was in the low 50's, air temp was 105. I would get hot from the sun and then I'd be splashed by the water and cooled off. The combination of cold water and hot dry air was ideal. Then the raft flipped and I was in that water, boy was it cold. But then you just go to the shore, suntan for a few minutes and you're back warm again.

When the air temp is lower, then the water temp must be higher to compensate. So what this means is most of my swimming is summer to early Fall. In the Fall when the air is warm but not hot but the water still warm, that's still doable for me. I'm talking about Texas so that is a factor.

In Austin we have a cold spring called Barton Springs, it is 68 degrees yeard round. In the summer, in 105 degrees it feels really good. I usually have to wait for the hottest days of the year to actually go into it. , In the peak of summer, at the same time that Barton Springs is 68, our neighborhood pool is 91 degrees, Lake Travis is around 85 degrees, and Lake Austin is around 78 degrees (fed from bottom of Lake Travis). So there are always lots of options about where to swim, one of the things I love about Austin.

Old 01-14-2014, 09:04 PM

2,043 posts, read 3,864,444 times
For unheated outdoor pools; High be over 80 F but the temperature can be in the low 70s at the time of swimming. In summers here, the daytime highs are usually in the low to mid 80s but I'll swim sometimes in the evenings when it cools down in to the low 70s by 7-8PM.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather