Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2016, 01:05 PM

3,615 posts, read 2,327,898 times

Advertisements

I actually saw someone in this thread talk about seeing them in brookings oregon

Canary Date Palm, Canary Island Date Palm Phoenix canariensis

"On Feb 15, 2005, thrinax01 from Salt Spring Island,
Canada wrote:

Phoenix c. are grown as an experimental species in our zone 8b climate and some of them have managed to survive for several years unprotected.

I do know of one growing in town since the Spring of 1999 and it seem to be just thriving. However it is growing right beside the ocean so it can feel the full maderating affect the Winter months. Personally I've lost numerous Phoenix over the years, but I may try one more time. The nicest specimens I've photographed in the Pacific North West were located in Brookings, Oregon on the south coast. They seemed to be every where once I started driving down side streets. The crowns were massive and the trunks were thick.

They were decades old monsters and I've never even seen tham that full and with such thick trunks in southern California. The oldest I came across was planted in 1954. I also spotted two very large Phoenix in Gold Beach 27 miles north of Brookings, and they also looked great. I wouldn't mind to have one that size on my property. They are a beautiful palm indeed! By the way, many other species of palms are grown on our island with no problems at all. ature T.fortunei are common and there are some very nice Chamaerops as well

.Banana Joe, Salt Spring Island, B.C.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2016, 01:15 PM

I know they are quite prevalent in the low country south carolina, another poster mentioned in that same thread that he was able to grow some in emerald isle north carolina. Low country zone 8a and the cidps are talked by another poster in south carolina, maybe some of those hardiness zones in south carolina arent always correct

" Although for some reason the Lowcountry is classified as 8a/8b, which is incorrect for most of the region, because the winters are more like 8b and 9a and even higher on islands and near the beach or marsh (on Hilton Head to 10a in some places). this palm is popular here in residential landscapes and it is fining its way into commercial landscapes, as well as the pygmy date and sylvester date (wild date palm). canary dates hardly get damaged if at all during hard freezes"

this is from a cidp video shot in georgia from the ty ty nursery in zone 8. I have really looked into alot of these growing zones fro cidps for our beach house, buying these canary island palms are very expensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO4Q5Glvswc

Old 02-18-2016, 01:24 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dccomputers70 View Post
I actually saw someone in this thread talk about seeing them in brookings oregon

Canary Date Palm, Canary Island Date Palm Phoenix canariensis

"On Feb 15, 2005, thrinax01 from Salt Spring Island,
Canada wrote:

Phoenix c. are grown as an experimental species in our zone 8b climate and some of them have managed to survive for several years unprotected.

I do know of one growing in town since the Spring of 1999 and it seem to be just thriving. However it is growing right beside the ocean so it can feel the full maderating affect the Winter months. Personally I've lost numerous Phoenix over the years, but I may try one more time. The nicest specimens I've photographed in the Pacific North West were located in Brookings, Oregon on the south coast. They seemed to be every where once I started driving down side streets. The crowns were massive and the trunks were thick.

They were decades old monsters and I've never even seen tham that full and with such thick trunks in southern California. The oldest I came across was planted in 1954. I also spotted two very large Phoenix in Gold Beach 27 miles north of Brookings, and they also looked great. I wouldn't mind to have one that size on my property. They are a beautiful palm indeed! By the way, many other species of palms are grown on our island with no problems at all. ature T.fortunei are common and there are some very nice Chamaerops as well

.Banana Joe, Salt Spring Island, B.C.
Brookings and Gold Beach are almost on the OR/CA border... not really the PNW. I'm talking about Seattle and Vancouver which are fully zone 8.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:03 PM

This one is in BC, there is an entire thread on introducing palms into vancouver on skyscraper city called Turning Vancouver into Hawaii Turning Vancouver into Hawaii - Page 12 - SkyscraperPage Forum

http://www.cloudforest.com/northwest.../20082418.html

banana joe is from BC, looks like a pretty interesting guy

https://www.facebook.com/Banana-Joe-...82105/timeline

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_g3H5uXu3o

looking that cidp video up. I found this . amazing video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9NoB-Nsjc4

Last edited by floridanative10; 02-18-2016 at 02:14 PM..

Old 02-18-2016, 02:44 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
How so? It shows those native southern plants as cold hardy to zone 8, just like the CIDP.

Lol, just as I said they are native to deep S. Florida and S. Texas. Show me an 8b evergreen native to Jackson, MS.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dccomputers70 View Post
I know they are quite prevalent in the low country south carolina, another poster mentioned in that same thread that he was able to grow some in emerald isle north carolina. Low country zone 8a and the cidps are talked by another poster in south carolina, maybe some of those hardiness zones in south carolina arent always correct

" Although for some reason the Lowcountry is classified as 8a/8b, which is incorrect for most of the region, because the winters are more like 8b and 9a and even higher on islands and near the beach or marsh (on Hilton Head to 10a in some places). this palm is popular here in residential landscapes and it is fining its way into commercial landscapes, as well as the pygmy date and sylvester date (wild date palm). canary dates hardly get damaged if at all during hard freezes"

this is from a cidp video shot in georgia from the ty ty nursery in zone 8. I have really looked into alot of these growing zones fro cidps for our beach house, buying these canary island palms are very expensive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BO4Q5Glvswc

They grow decently well in the coastal Southeast, but I don't think they do very well in Vancouver. I just don't think it gets enough warmth like Brookings might get in winter.

The only problem with CIDP in the Southeast is I don't think they like humidity, and other Phoenix do quite a bit better like Sylvestris.

Old 02-18-2016, 02:55 PM

196 posts, read 198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Lol, just as I said they are native to deep S. Florida and S. Texas. Show me an 8b evergreen native to Jackson, MS.
No, the range for the Limestone Prickly Ash extends to North Florida, and up to the northern Texas coast (in the Houston area). The Anacua tree extends well inland to Texas, to near San Antonio/Austin.

Another set of zone 8 evergreens native to the Southeast, including Jackson, MS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_darrowii
Darrow's Blueberry, Scrub Blueberry Vaccinium darrowii

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_myrsinites
Florida Evergreen Blueberry, Shiny-leaved Blueberry, Shiny Blueberry Vaccinium myrsinites

Old 02-18-2016, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.I.0.N.I.C. View Post
No, the range for the Limestone Prickly Ash extends to North Florida, and up to the northern Texas coast (in the Houston area). The Anacua tree extends well inland to Texas, to near San Antonio/Austin.

Another set of zone 8 evergreens native to the Southeast, including Jackson, MS:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_darrowii
Darrow's Blueberry, Scrub Blueberry Vaccinium darrowii

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaccinium_myrsinites
Florida Evergreen Blueberry, Shiny-leaved Blueberry, Shiny Blueberry Vaccinium myrsinites

On Daves Garden it is listed as hardy to 10F, not 8b.

Old 02-18-2016, 03:04 PM

196 posts, read 198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
On Daves Garden it is listed as hardy to 10F, not 8b.
It shows that the plants are native to zone 8, specifically zone 8a. It shows 10F because that is the lower end of zone 8a, but the actual hardiness can be warmer (say down to 13F). But 13F is between 10-15F, so 13F is zone 8a.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather