Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
Miami 53 60.92%
Brownsville 34 39.08%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:58 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
"chilly temps", seriously? Bit of an exaggeration don't you think. A Jan avg high/low of 71/52F as "chilly"..
Must you nitpick? Okay, perhaps it isn't chilly all that often,
but I think it's retarded to think that Brownsville's lower winter temperatures are an advantage.

I've BEEN to South Florida many times in winter.
I've watched people's behavior. Almost nobody there seems upset about winter weather.
So why would going even cooler and much cloudier be so much better?

A typical winter evening in Miami, say 8pm is a horrid 63-70 F... Truely revolting?
By comparison, Brownsville at 8pm is probably 64-56 F...*** Ahhh, isn't it grand that short sleeves feel bad? ***

Okay, apart from seeing an occaisional dusting of snow for weather interest.
Not that I want to see any more snowfalls, but it could be a possible advantage for some people.
But most of the winter in Brownsville makes their winter seem ugly by comparison.

I just don't understand why an average winter day in Brownsville would be better for some people than an average winter day in Miami... unless they hate warmth and sun, in which case they'd probably hate both climates overall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2011, 06:17 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Jacksonville averages about 60% chance of sun in winter.
Brownsville averages a very dismal 35% chance of sun.

Couple Jacksonville's sunshine patterns to monthly averages like 65/46-48 F
as well as remembering that windspeeds in Florida are usually quite calm,
then Jacksonville's winter would be quite pleasant.
Sunshine would make it cheerful too.

Savannah is more like 63/41 F, so I would probably hate most winter mornings.
Jacksonville's averages would mean that there'd be many winter mornings I wouldn't hate.
I was referring to your "nearly as mild comment", 71/52F is quite different from 64/46F don't you think?

I think you're downgrading Brownsville a bit (I'm a bit biased), snow is just as rare in Brownsville as it is in Miami. The 2004 snowfall in Brownsville was the first snowfall recorded in that area since 1899. The continental influence also has a benefit, it easily gets into the 80sF in the middle of winter, sometimes even 90F.

I've also heard from an expert on South Texas weather that the cloudy winters help bring up the absolute minimum temperature a bit during advective freezes.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:02 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Miami, by far. Miami is actually a pleasant climate; even in the summer, it's not TOO hot (because of ocean breezes and thunderstorms - Tampa, where I lived for a summer, was about as hot or even hotter than Miami, but still was tolerable). In Florida, while summer high temperatures are fairly high, you rarely see any significant deviation from normal. Even the hottest days in Minneapolis are often hotter than those in Miami. In Texas, which is much more continental, you do, and often for weeks at a time. Granted, Brownsville has a more interesting climate, but from a comfort standpoint, I'd have to go with Miami.

Old 12-03-2011, 06:30 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,358,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvdxer View Post
Miami, by far. Miami is actually a pleasant climate; even in the summer, it's not TOO hot (because of ocean breezes and thunderstorms - Tampa, where I lived for a summer, was about as hot or even hotter than Miami, but still was tolerable). In Florida, while summer high temperatures are fairly high, you rarely see any significant deviation from normal. Even the hottest days in Minneapolis are often hotter than those in Miami. In Texas, which is much more continental, you do, and often for weeks at a time. Granted, Brownsville has a more interesting climate, but from a comfort standpoint, I'd have to go with Miami.
I would have to agree....summer is actually nice in southern Florida. A cold weather fan would hate Miami winter and summer anyway, but summers are nice in Florida - .the tropical downpours, the hot sun, the hot woman (sorry I could't resist), the palms blowing in the breeze......

Old 12-03-2011, 10:25 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Florida summers seem horrid. I can barely stand hot and humid spells here in the UK, let alone subtropical Florida.

Old 12-03-2011, 01:10 PM

5,012 posts, read 7,219,447 times
This is like choosing between a toothache and a headache. I'll go with Brownsville-it can't be as humid as Miami.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:06 PM

9,589 posts, read 27,796,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
This is like choosing between a toothache and a headache. I'll go with Brownsville-it can't be as humid as Miami.
Actually the humidity is surprisingly high on the Gulf Coast of Texas, considering they get much lower rain totals than the southeastern US coast. If there's any difference in humidity, Brownsville's might be like 5-10% lower humidity, but with temperatures that are 4-6 F (2-3 C) higher, meaning the heat index should still be higher. I remember seeing Houston's humidity was impressive, higher than on the Carolina coast, though drier rain, and Corpus Christi's humidity nearly as bad, equal or higher than the Carolina coast again, despite Corpus Christi being nearly semi-arid.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:18 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,539,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post

August/January 2011-

Brownsville:
avg mean temperature: 87*F/62*F
avg dew point: 76*F/54*F

Miami:
avg mean temperature: 85*F/67*F
avg dew point: 75*F/57*F

Brownsville isn't a desert...I don't blame you though, my aunt thought Houston was a dry desert too before she found out the truth.

Old 12-04-2011, 12:41 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,919,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Actually the humidity is surprisingly high on the Gulf Coast of Texas, considering they get much lower rain totals than the southeastern US coast. If there's any difference in humidity, Brownsville's might be like 5-10% lower humidity, but with temperatures that are 4-6 F (2-3 C) higher, meaning the heat index should still be higher. I remember seeing Houston's humidity was impressive, higher than on the Carolina coast, though drier rain, and Corpus Christi's humidity nearly as bad, equal or higher than the Carolina coast again, despite Corpus Christi being nearly semi-arid.
Sad thing is, if people want high heat, but with low humidity, about 1/2 of the U.S. is off limits This is the one thing I don't like about the U.S. climate. It's either too hot or too cold. There's only a small window of moderation for the entire U.S., except the west coast

Old 12-04-2011, 06:24 AM

24,544 posts, read 56,029,399 times
From my experience in tropical, sub-tropical and temperate climates, I'm pretty sure Brownsville would feel the worse in summer, quite noticeably. I was in New York in July and a few days it was 35C/95F with lowish humidity, 35-40%, and it still felt hot and humid. In contrast, you get used to a 31C day with 95% humidity. It's typical weather in equatorial climates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather