Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which would you prefer?
Miami 53 60.92%
Brownsville 34 39.08%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 06:06 AM

584 posts, read 1,688,174 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
I think vegetation and climate tie in very well together and so that's why I like to bring it up in climate discussions...

most palm trees with a few exceptions are normally found where frosts are relatively rare to non existent...
That's right ! I never thought Vancouver & South of Vancouver, southern part of Vancouver Island could grow palm trees !

I searched utube last week with the key word "palm Canada", well there are several videos showing gardens/front/back yards of properties in Vancouver where tall palm trees are found, surprised ! They are like 20 foot tall, not the royal palms which can only grow in tropical areas, but they are definitely palm trees, broad leaves ...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2012, 10:21 PM

5 posts, read 9,818 times
I'm surprised they grow coconut palms in Tampa/St Petersburg, & even more surprised they plant them anywhere in Texas. Not sure about their long-term survival in those areas, but they'd be far happier & healthier in South Florida (:

Old 04-07-2012, 10:12 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,206,460 times
Too cold in Brownsville in winter. Hawaii is better, but still I think Miami has more to do and nicer beaches.

Old 04-08-2012, 12:53 AM

Sorry.Miami is better than Brownsville and has nicer beaches than TX. I meant Hawaii is better than both. Brownsville is nice and warm, but sometimes too hot or even snowy. It is also ghetto, so Miami, even with all their probs, is better.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:44 AM

2,886 posts, read 4,106,641 times
not even close frost and freeze in Miami is very rare even in the most inland suburbs occurring no more than once every 5 years while in Brownsville it happens at least once every year with a killer freeze once every 3 or 4 years! there is no way i could grow my papayas, coconuts,bananas,peppers, mango's in conditions like that, no I go for the place that does'nt kill the tropical s your trying to grow and the veggies ur growing in winter.

Old 03-27-2013, 07:29 PM

15 posts, read 17,113 times
You really mean Cuba or Mexico...

Old 05-10-2013, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Wow...you guys are still debating this from yesterday (lol). However, I find it as interesting as everyone else...as I have spent many years in and out of Florida. Let me just add a few notes I'v collected over the years (that no doubt will add to each side of the debate, all in good fun I hope ):

Keep in mind that Miami has not seen snow “multiple times. In fact, in the 243 year settlement of Miami - there is only a single (1) record of a trace (T) of snow known to have ever fallen. This trace of snow was only seen on certain areas (shaded grassy areas, car windshields, …etc)…there was no snow on streets, sidewalks, …etc. The trace of snow lasted for about 2 hours in the early morning hours of January 19, 1977 in and around Miami. Also, keep in mind that many stations with long records well to the north of Miami - like Melbourne, to this day still have never recorded even a trace of snow in 200 – 250 years.

A interesting concept...but likely not really workable: If one drives through parts of the central Florida coast, places like Melbourne, you'll see many old towering coconut palms. There are even pockets of coconut palms of various ages in Fort Pierce and Vero Beach - INLAND. Here is a house for sale in Indian River County (Vero Beach). You can see dead center is a fruting coconut palm with huge coconuts that at least 30 years old. Based on what you say above - then Vero Beach (150 miles north of Miami) is borderline tropical?:

Vero Beach | Landscape Design | Portfolio

Although I find this as interesting as you do, I finally came to the conclusion that it can be like trying to split the atom; Climate lines really are only broad transition zones that move north/south in any given set of decades or centuries. It seems like drawing a hard line in the sand can be futile. Ft. Myers looks as tropical to me as parts of the Caribbean in some areas, yet they might not make the cut in terms of a the definition. I think the best we can say is many of these areas are in the broad gray transition zones.

Those Christmas Palms in the background sure look nice, too!

Old 05-10-2013, 07:47 PM

284 posts, read 282,803 times
Miami for me. I prefer the rainfall there and Brownsville is just too hot in summer.

Plus I love coconuts.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:53 PM

1,490 posts, read 1,821,113 times
Miami. Warmer winters.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:52 PM

3,586 posts, read 4,972,829 times
Brownsville. Gloomier and cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather