Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 10:40 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Nah. It feels warmer than Halloween (well, our last Halloween).
Yesterday's temperatures would have felt a bit chillier in October than January since we wouldn't have been as acclimated.

Halloween 2011 was certainly cold. I believe the low was 23 F, but I don't feel like checking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 12:27 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
Yesterday's temperatures would have felt a bit chillier in October than January since we wouldn't have been as acclimated.

Halloween 2011 was certainly cold. I believe the low was 23 F, but I don't feel like checking.
Yesterday (Friday) had a high of 59°F; 48°F at 8 pm (in NYC central park); definitely did not feel like winter. Only about 51°F yesterday.

Old 01-29-2012, 06:26 AM

83,500 posts, read 75,234,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
What does it mean when the AO is forecasted to remain strongly negative but the NAO stays positive? Isn't that an odd combination since they tend to move somewhat similarly.
More cold outbreaks in the East with a negative AO but does not stay put because there's a Positiuve NAO (no blocking). Also watch that PNA. When the PNA goes positive it means ridge in West and trough building in East.

Last edited by Cambium; 01-29-2012 at 06:34 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 06:34 AM

Lets use this upcoming possible snowtorm for an example. Last update has the storm surpressed to the south but ... without blocking,

The speed of the storms is faster West to East so it doesnt have time to sit and develop into a coastal bomb. Sure we can get snow from this. Last nights models had the track north more bringing snow to NorthEast but dont expect a full fledge blizzard until that NAO tanks into negative.

This is for the Superbowl Weekend Storm.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:59 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
I would say winter has been officially canceled for most of the Southeast since it never got underway in the first place. Yes, they do get winter there as Boone, NC at 3,000ft elevation received over 50 inches of snow last winter. This year? Hardly anything. The ridge in the Atlantic has been an unbelievably strong player given the time of the year.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I would say winter has been officially canceled for most of the Southeast since it never got underway in the first place. Yes, they do get winter there as Boone, NC at 3,000ft elevation received over 50 inches of snow last winter. This year? Hardly anything. The ridge in the Atlantic has been an unbelievably strong player given the time of the year.
Weather likes to test or keep the mind sharp. One thing I remember is a High pressure over Russia Summer of 2010 that didnt budge and was so persistant in providing heat and fires it was a crazy summer for them. Similar situation here with this ridge thats stuck over the southEast for months on end now.

Here's Wednesday's temps...look how far up the 70s come. LOL

Superbowl Weekend Storm

The system is still over Tokyo. Once it gets to near Alaska models will have better handle on it.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:26 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
Weather likes to test or keep the mind sharp. One thing I remember is a High pressure over Russia Summer of 2010 that didnt budge and was so persistant in providing heat and fires it was a crazy summer for them. Similar situation here with this ridge thats stuck over the southEast for months on end now.

Here's Wednesday's temps...look how far up the 70s come. LOL

Superbowl Weekend Storm

The system is still over Tokyo. Once it gets to near Alaska models will have better handle on it.
Your analogy is a good one as that Southeast ridge is a highly unusual feature during the winter months, mainly due to its persistence. Those high temps in the western Carolinas are 20-25+ degrees above average like Boone. Google the climate of Boone as it is very interesting.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM

I have one thing to say... The rubber band can only be stretched so much before it snaps back.

We're now stretching this pattern too much so it's a matter of time. Question is... will it happen before March.

I'm starting to see changes in the upper air pattern so I really think so now.

Old 01-29-2012, 01:03 PM

Superbowl Weekend Winter Storm Update::

Well, Both the GFS and Euro now show a storm coming from Mid West, into Ohio valley, transfering its energy into a coastal low that forms and moves up the coast.

Latest Euro has a significant snowstorm (12"+ for MA, southern VT, NH, ME and arts of NY) Northern CT 6-9", and coastal areas would see 3-6".

We shouldnt be talking about totals just yet. lets see how the models handle the entire event first.

One other nugget to know.... Hurricane hunters are flying into the system to put data into the 12z runs...they usually do it just for the 00z runs. Either way... something is brewing.

Euro Left. GFS Right.

Euro12z Snow total.

And if your wondering why is there a coastal Low if NAO is positive.... well..Euro new data says differently...NAO goes negative for the time frame hence why its showing a coastal low moving up. Should move faster then if the NAO was deeply negative though

Old 01-29-2012, 02:43 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,212,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yesterday (Friday) had a high of 59°F; 48°F at 8 pm (in NYC central park); definitely did not feel like winter. Only about 51°F yesterday.
Exactly. It felt like Halloween time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather