Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-30-2012, 04:06 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,219,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
I'm sick of this emphasis on "averages". I mean, if the temps match the average, that doesn't make it feel like summer, when those averages are well below 30C for a high and in the mid teens (~60F) for the low. Melbourne's averages are lukewarm at best and days which reach those certainly don't evoke a feeling of summer. Summer is hot days, warm evenings and balmy mornings. Not 15C chill well after sunrise or lame mid 20's days...... where it already takes an eternity to warm up to that temp only to be met with gusty afternoon seabreezes which invariably blow without fail on such lukewarm days that is the "average" for Melbourne.

I don't give a toss if those temps are near the average... it doesn't make it satisfactory summer weather when that average is a lame 15-26C
The issue is you exaggerate and act as if it's below 20 C all day everyday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 10:17 PM

1,492 posts, read 2,731,190 times
Very hot night last night, 26C minimum here and 25C in Sydney:

Weather News - Sydney's warmest night since last summer

This was accompanied by high humidity, thank God for air-con.
Despite the lack of very high temps, January has been pretty close to average in most centres in NSW.

Old 01-30-2012, 10:44 PM

2,678 posts, read 5,068,226 times
27 C / 80 F was forecasted for today, but we only high 24 C / 75 F. It was also overcast all day with frequent drizzle. Tomorrow should be cold with heavy rain. This is possibly the worst summer I've ever endured.

Old 01-31-2012, 12:39 AM

5,069 posts, read 8,598,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
27 C / 80 F was forecasted for today, but we only high 24 C / 75 F. It was also overcast all day with frequent drizzle. Tomorrow should be cold with heavy rain. This is possibly the worst summer I've ever endured.
Exaggerated, as usual. And Ch'ch is one of the few areas this month to get near its average quota of sunshine. Yes, most of NZ has had a summer considerably inferior to average thus far. There have certainly been worse. If you are more than 10 years old you would realise that the summer of 2001-02 (after excellent 2001 conditions up to September) was wet and very cloudy in the east of the SI particularly, though also in various other parts.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:04 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,998,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
This is possibly the worst summer I've ever endured.
I agree with RWood about the exaggeration, but I understand where you're coming from (using my opposite preferences as an analogy). When there are so many lousy seasons that are at the bottom of the barrel and are so terrible, every bad season feels like the worst, and in a sense they're all tied. It sounds odd but when it's so bad, any difference is just splitting hairs . Still, I would advise you, and while I'm at it everyone else, to use more precise language.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:42 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,117 times
2nd Hottest January recorded here in Perth.

Perth in January 2012

Had a mean maximum temperature of 33.5C / 92F which is second only to the January of 1962 which recorded 34.4C / 94F. 3 very hot January's in a row now.

We also received 18.8mm / 0.74" of rain which is double the average for the month. We've had 94.6mm / 3.72" of rain since December which is the 4th wettest December-January period on record.

Hopefully February will be a bit cooler, though with the higher sea surface temperatures it's not very likely.

Last edited by sulkiercupid; 01-31-2012 at 09:56 AM..

Old 01-31-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
I agree with RWood about the exaggeration, but I understand where you're coming from (using my opposite preferences as an analogy). When there are so many lousy seasons that are at the bottom of the barrel and are so terrible, every bad season feels like the worst, and in a sense they're all tied. It sounds odd but when it's so bad, any difference is just splitting hairs . Still, I would advise you, and while I'm at it everyone else, to use more precise language.
Not in this case. Ch'ch (and much larger areas) have had much worse summers than this one (which of course is only 2/3 done), so a final asessment is premature.

Edit: this quote on another forum from someone who has checked some January numbers puts this complaint in a better perspective:

Akld's average Jan T-mean has been nearly 1C below normal, with T-mins almost normal, but T-maxs well over 1C below normal. Similarly with Hamilton Aero; although T-mins were almost 1C above normal, T-maxs were almost 2C below normal. Contrastingly, Chch Aero's T-maxs were almost normal, but T-mins were over 2C below normal, resulting in a T-mean of over 1C below normal.

However, Chch and Dunedin have managed slightly above sunshine hours for the month, unlike their northern main centre counterparts.

It was the night temperatures that were down in Ch'ch!! This partly because Ch'ch was considerably sunnier than Auckland in January.
The problem with people who live in climates they don't like is that a "saturation effect" probably sets in over the years, so their perceptions of departures from "normal" or "desirable" get more and more exaggerated. For this particular season in NZ, it is the North Island residents who have a far greater right to complain, in terms of summer values deviating from average.

Last edited by RWood; 01-31-2012 at 12:18 PM..

Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
2nd Hottest January recorded here in Perth.

Perth in January 2012

Had a mean maximum temperature of 33.5C / 92F which is second only to the January of 1962 which recorded 34.4C / 94F. 3 very hot January's in a row now.

We also received 18.8mm / 0.74" of rain which is double the average for the month. We've had 94.6mm / 3.72" of rain since December which is the 4th wettest December-January period on record.

Hopefully February will be a bit cooler, though with the higher sea surface temperatures it's not very likely.
You could have donated us some of your spare sunshine - much of NZ had a significant deficit, and even more so for Dec-Jan combined!

Old 01-31-2012, 07:33 PM

3,187 posts, read 4,588,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
You could have donated us some of your spare sunshine - much of NZ had a significant deficit, and even more so for Dec-Jan combined!
Wish we could do a little sunshine/cloud swap!

Getting a little bit of cloud now from Tropical Cyclone Iggy (cat 2), still has very good structure considering its in much cooler waters now. Its likely to recurve into the west coast between Geraldton and Perth as a tropical low, could see a fair amount of rain if we're lucky.

http://www.bom.gov.au/gms/IDE00135.201202010130.jpg (broken link)

Old 01-31-2012, 07:53 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
But, Flight Simmer, you appear to have very high standards for what you consider a true summer. Temperatures of 26C and lows of 15C is definitely summer weather to most people and feels pleasant in the sunshine nonetheless.. of course you might differ, but I'm just speaking the a large consensus of people.
well you're a cold lover so ofcourse 15-26C is summer to you. However, I'd wager that most people would find the 15 days below 25C that balanced out our hot days in order to get that average to be annoying. Not everyone finds low to mid-20's temps for half the bloody month to be acceptable when they're on holidays at the beach or whatever as pathetic cold in summer does mess with peoples holiday plans and all that. And most people would also argue that doesn't constitute a true summer either. Not only that, when temps are that low, it is due to southerly onshore wind, which also invariably bring cloudy conditions just to add insult to injury.

I think most people would prefer a guaranteed summer, remember, a few die hard cold and rain lovers on the weather forums, both here and in the notorious Aus Weather Forums do not represent the population. You know, we have to endure 6 months of cold, windy, grey slate-grey overcast crap, a bit of heat in what is supposed to be summer comes as a relief to most people here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanfel View Post
Yes, I agree. Most people I know would be very happy in a summer like that, which is in fact very similar to Mar del Plata's summer here in Argentina. And Mar del Plata in summer is usually full of people from BA and other parts of the country escaping the heat.

I was just commenting too, I know that preferences are preferences.
You've just validated my opinions about Melbourne's summers right there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather