Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate: Caribou, Maine
A 17 23.61%
B 13 18.06%
C 9 12.50%
D 10 13.89%
E 6 8.33%
F 17 23.61%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2011, 10:36 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,538,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's not high latitude for European standards. Milan, Italy is only 1.5° south of Caribou's latitude. Seattle is further north.

The easternly position of Caribou in its time zone makes the sunsets of Caribou especially early and make it feel further north if you're not an early riser; sunset in Caribou is 10 minutes earlier than London today while sunrise in London is almost 1 hour later than Caribou.
Interesting...

It always surprised me that so many Europeans immigrating from the US back in the 19th century moved to places in the US that were so much further south in latitude compared to Europe. The only major cities in the US that have somehwat comprable latitudes to Europe are Seattle, Portland, and Minneapolis. They did mostly move where they could find employment of course... I have always despised the harsh sun angle of locales south of 40N, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2011, 11:03 AM

584 posts, read 1,687,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
F.. As the name suggests.. only suitable for caribou.
Agreed, it's an F

This place is cold, pls comparison below (from mild to coldest):
Toronto (mild winter)
Montreal (cold)
Caribou Main (colder)
Winnipeg (coldest), Winnipeg is nicked Winterpeg !

Old 12-17-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
A

Excellent climate. Long, cold, snowy winters and relatively pleasant summers. I've been in Northern Maine in August and it can get pretty chilly at night.
You are from New Jersey, and it's not cold enough for you and you like Caribou which is colder than NJ ?

It can get "pretty chilly at night (in August)" according to you, why rated it an A ? Are you a cold lover ? Would you like Winnipeg (Winterpeg Manitoba Canada) ? It's colder than Caribou, if that's not cold enough, I recommend Thompson Manitoba near the Artic Circle.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
D+.
Winters are just way too long. Summers are nice but very short and nights seem too cold.
That's right and that's why I gave it an F.

Caribou is much colder than Toronto Canada !

Old 12-17-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
D-. Horrible climate, the 6 months with average lows well under 0C and very short, barely lukewarm summers would drive me insane.

The only thing that saves it from an F is because it is not St Paul Island.
Agreed, horrible climate !

Old 12-17-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Winters of hell... F
Yes, it's a BIG F !

Old 12-17-2011, 11:16 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
You are from New Jersey, and it's not cold enough for you and you like Caribou which is colder than NJ ?

It can get "pretty chilly at night (in August)" according to you, why rated it an A ? Are you a cold lover ? Would you like Winnipeg (Winterpeg Manitoba Canada) ? It's colder than Caribou, if that's not cold enough, I recommend Thompson Manitoba near the Artic Circle.
Winters are pretty decent where I live. Average January temperature is about 25 F and annual snowfall averages 40-45 in. My only beef is that sustained cold and snow is never guaranteed. I would describe the winters as moderate and variable. Some years our winters could be like Philadelphia while others it could be like Binghamton. What I like about Caribou is you're guaranteed a real winter and I find the summers comfortable.

Old 12-17-2011, 11:27 AM

I just want to make sure that you know this Caribou is COLDER than Montreal Canada !

In the following order:
Toronto (mildest winter)
Montreal Quebec (cold winter)
Quebec city (colder winter)
Caribou (very cold winter)
Winnipeg (extremely cold winter)

Are you sure you really like it ? You might want to talk to Quebecois and Winnipegers to see how much they hate the winters. Do you know why there are so many snowbirds from Quebec spending the winter in Florida ? Because they hate the winters !

Do you still want to give Caribou an A ?

Old 12-17-2011, 12:11 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,356,905 times
I honestly don't get why it's so hard for some people to understand that people have different preferences. Seriously, get over it, there's more to life than wondering why someone likes cold (or hot weather).

Btw, I rate this climate an A, and yes I am SURE that I want to rate it an A.

Old 12-17-2011, 02:26 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,461,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
It's not high latitude for European standards. Milan, Italy is only 1.5° south of Caribou's latitude. Seattle is further north.

The easternly position of Caribou in its time zone makes the sunsets of Caribou especially early and make it feel further north if you're not an early riser; sunset in Caribou is 10 minutes earlier than London today while sunrise in London is almost 1 hour later than Caribou.
Yep, you pretty much have to go all the way up to central Labrador to get to a real Nordic sun angle on the east coast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather