Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 09:10 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Wow, that is mild. It does indeed seem like a low for a Pacific Northwestern winter.
Only goes back to 1973:

Spring 'Freeze' Probabilities (Jan 1 - Jul 1)

Fall 'Freeze' Probabilities (Jul. 31 - Dec. 31)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2011, 10:59 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,211,711 times
I'm not surprised. I attribute it to the urban heat effect.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:04 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,291 times
The last two winters here have been horrible, I don't think I could handle a North East US winter. Down here in Somerset it hasn't been below 3c yet

Old 12-11-2011, 08:22 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,646,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dean york View Post
The last two winters here have been horrible, I don't think I could handle a North East US winter. Down here in Somerset it hasn't been below 3c yet
There's a York in Somerset and you don't live in the one in Yorkshire?

Had our first air frost here yesterday morning with a low of -1C. No more on the horizon for the next week.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:39 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,443,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'm not surprised. I attribute it to the urban heat effect.
I know we've argued this before, but again, I'd say at least half of it is the ocean. If you go out to the suburbs far enough out of the heat island and still near the ocean, the fall freeze dates still are late for the Northeast.

I remember once seeing roses and a few other flowers blooming mid December. A couple were still barely hanging on on Christmas.

This 50 miles east (ocean, little heat island); fairly similar to my hometown:

and west on the same latitude (no ocean, no heat island):

and NYC Central Park (ocean and heat island):

The Long Island station is much closer to the NYC station than the Strousburg station.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:45 AM

6,517 posts, read 5,813,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
There's a York in Somerset and you don't live in the one in Yorkshire?

Had our first air frost here yesterday morning with a low of -1C. No more on the horizon for the next week.
No mate, I'm from York, North Yorkshire! I'm in the Royal Navy and I'm based in Somerset. I refuse to have Yeovil on my profile!

Old 12-11-2011, 09:20 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,357,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
I know we've argued this before, but again, I'd say at least half of it is the ocean. If you go out to the suburbs far enough out of the heat island and still near the ocean, the fall freeze dates still are late for the Northeast.

I remember once seeing roses and a few other flowers blooming mid December. A couple were still barely hanging on on Christmas.

This 50 miles east (ocean, little heat island); fairly similar to my hometown:

and west on the same latitude (no ocean, no heat island):

and NYC Central Park (ocean and heat island):

The Long Island station is much closer to the NYC station than the Strousburg station.
I can attest to this as well. Long Island, coastal Connecticut, coastal New Jersey, and southern/coastal Delaware have frost/freeze dates later than inland areas - this due directly to elevation and the oceanic influence. They grow hardy palms and other broadleaf evergreens on Long Island, coastal Delaware, coastal NJ, coastal CT...etc that would never survive inland west of I-95. There are times when NW New Jersey, the highlands of southeast Penn, the highlands of NW Connecticut, and the rims of the higher Hudson Valley are 20 F colder than areas on the coast like Long island, NYC, Ocean City, Cape May, New Haven, Atlantic City...etc.

Small cities like Cape May and Atlantic City only see about 80 - 90 frosts all year on average...while places like Albany see 150 or more. This has to be the oceanic influnce.

Old 12-11-2011, 09:55 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,009,726 times
Agreed, Wavehunter. Anywhere you have an ocean (or large body of water, like the Great Lakes), the temps will always vary inland, whether warmer in the colder seasons, or cooler during the summer seasons.

Whats unique about the Northeast, is that east of the Appalachain chain, it is highly influenced by the maritime conditions of the Atlantic, and the southerly flows that occur in advance of a frontal system. This causes places like Philly to average quite mild mid winter temps, where as Pittsburg will average around 10-15 degrees (mean) colder.

Ian

Old 12-11-2011, 10:03 AM

1,678 posts, read 4,009,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
Yes, 2.9 inches. But it never reached freezing; it was 33°F two nights in a row. So there has been no air frost yet but definitely ground frost.

I remember some of the hardier plants looked ok late November at my parent's house in suburban New York, but there was generally a dormant look to everything.
Although Central Park, and LaGuardia hadn't seen a freeze in October, JFK did on Oct. 31st.

Ian

Old 12-11-2011, 03:03 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,568,172 times
Yup, ocean makes all the difference, here in the UK it certainly does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather