U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Rate the Climate: St George, Utah
A 2 7.69%
B 4 15.38%
C 9 34.62%
D 8 30.77%
E/F 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,807,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post

The question here is: To logically and scientifically discuss the comfort temperatures that our human race love, I think it is between 20C(68F) and 30C(86F), give or take.
Well quite... it's quite the reason why this is the most comfortable range of room temperature.

Even cold lovers eventually have to admit they live in an indoor environment, which is actually not cold, and they would get uncomfortable if it was as cold as the weather they claim to love.

If I lived in a nice tropical climate with lows of 20C (low end room temp) and highs of 30C (maybe only 2-3 hours a day) one could live outside as happily as inside from the temp point of view. Whereas living in temps below 16C is scientifically proven to be associated with higher mortality, and more risk of developing hypo-thermia.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
And I know you've claimed you could live in a subtropical climate without A/C, but that's easy for someone who has never lived in a climate with hot summers to say.
In fact, I've been and walked miles around cities across the world in 32C (90F) heat without the slightest discomfort my lad, and come back in and not once bothered to turn on the AC. In fact, one time when I was in Portugal, everybody insisted on turning on the AC (the temperature was 94F indoors) and I resisted it, but they turned it on and it felt freezing to me once it got down to 80F, because I was acclimatized to the heat.

With moderate temperatures of 25-30C, I can wear the same outdoors as in. Real heat lovers don't use AC; the ones who do are not heat lovers. So by the same token cold lovers who dress up for cold and use heating don't love cold. Simple.

Poeple have been lighting fires for centuries to not feel cold in a cold climate.

Whereas AC was only around since the 20th century, people obviously could do very fine without it.
Because back then, work often involved working hard out in the fields in blazing 90F heat, back when men were men, not wusses sitting at a computer in some air conditioned office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
The same can be said of heat lovers. Why do they turn on the A/C, go swimming, and have cold drinks?
1) Swimming. Why the hell would anyone want to swim in cold weather? It isn't something we do to "cool off" in hot weather, it's an enjoyable activity that cold weather strictly prohibits.

2) AC? Real heat lovers don't use it.

3) Cold drinks? Cold drinks are the only types of drinks I drink, winter or summer. I don't like hot drinks of any kind, and even in the coldest day of winter I drink cold drinks.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:24 AM

563 posts, read 523,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Well quite... it's quite the reason why this is the most comfortable range of room temperature.

Even cold lovers eventually have to admit they live in an indoor environment, which is actually not cold, and they would get uncomfortable if it was as cold as the weather they claim to love.

If I lived in a nice tropical climate with lows of 20C (low end room temp) and highs of 30C (maybe only 2-3 hours a day) one could live outside as happily as inside from the temp point of view. Whereas living in temps below 16C is scientifically proven to be associated with higher mortality, and more risk of developing hypo-thermia.
The funny thing is there are people in this forum who claims "39C (103F) is really nice"

I live in Canada and I never said -10C (14F) is comfortable ! I had to bundle up to keep myself warm or I will die ! I stay in Canada for so many cold winters because I HAD NO CHOICE !

Given the choice a few years ago, I LOVE THE PLEASANT TEMPERATURES IN SOUTH FLORIDA IN THE WINTER, it was hovering around 20C(68) to 28C(84F).

I wonder why there are people in this forum, this thread claiming "39C(103F), 38C whatever is ... really nice, it's not that hot ...". Why did they want to show the whole world that they claimed "39C is really nice ...", where's their logic ? Did they simply blah blah blah ?

Canadians work their entire life, save up the money just to fulfill their dream: To snowbird in some warmer climate (20C to 30C) if they could afford it !

Old 12-16-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
The funny thing is there are people in this forum who claims "39C (103F) is really nice"

I live in Canada and I never said -10C (14F) is comfortable ! I had to bundle up to keep myself warm or I will die ! I stay in Canada for so many cold winters because I HAD NO CHOICE !

Given the choice a few years ago, I LOVE THE PLEASANT TEMPERATURES IN SOUTH FLORIDA IN THE WINTER, it was hovering around 20C(68) to 28C(84F).

I wonder why there are people in this forum, this thread claiming "39C(103F), 38C whatever is ... really nice, it's not that hot ...". Why did they want to show the whole world that they claimed "39C is really nice ...", where's their logic ? Did they simply blah blah blah ?

Canadians work their entire life, save up the money just to fulfill their dream: To snowbird in some warmer climate (20C to 30C) if they could afford it !
I don't know who said 39C was really nice. I certainly didn't.

From experience, I would say it's "nice" up until about 33-34C. Then it is what I'd call "hot" for doing much.

Still, in this climate the heat is dry and it would only be around the upper 30's for a small part of the day.

Also, temperatures are relative to some degree. It's -1C / 30F outdoors here, when I have to walked 2-3 miles into town, I will tell you, 38C is "really nice" compared to 0C, which is brutal cold and the temperature at which water freezes.

As far as comfort goes, this is my scale of "equally comfortable" temperatures.

"=" meaning about as comfortable as.

0C = 50C
5C = 45C
10C = 40C
15C = 35C
20C = 30C
25, about perfect.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
I don't know who said 39C was really nice. I certainly didn't.

From experience, I would say it's "nice" up until about 33-34C. Then it is what I'd call "hot" for doing much.

Still, in this climate the heat is dry and it would only be around the upper 30's for a small part of the day.

Also, temperatures are relative to some degree. It's -1C / 30F outdoors here, when I have to walked 2-3 miles into town, I will tell you, 38C is "really nice" compared to 0C, which is brutal cold and the temperature at which water freezes.

0C = 50C
5C = 45C
10C = 40C
15C = 35C
20C = 30C
25, about perfect.
Oh, not you !

It was this person who claimed 39C "was really nice":
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78
C+ Winters are too cold but summers look really nice

And he/she lives in one of the nicest areas in the world: Vancouver BC Canada where temperature is very pleasant, around 20C-25C or something like that in the summer, and mild winter of 0.5C to 8C in Jan.

People just blah blah blah in the forum. It's like telling the world I can stick my fingers in the oven but it ... feels good

Seriously I give up but there are all kinds of people in the world, some are logical some aren't !

Old 12-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Oh, not you !

It was this person who claimed 39C "was really nice":
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78
C+ Winters are too cold but summers look really nice
Well he said the summers are really nice, don't forget that it would only be about 39 degrees for an hour or two; most of the time, especially for sitting out in the evening especially it would be quite nice.

Freezing temperatures are not of course ever comfortable to the human body, unless protection is worn or heating used.

0C (32F) is when water freezes; our body is is 70% water, so one would certainly believe there's every good reason that such cold is physically painfall to our nerves, a warning that damage will follow if unprotected; say in the form of frost bite, or even toes and fingers falling off.

Heat does not burn, until 50-60C is reached. Sunburn is not from heat but UV rays (a common misconception people have).

Due to the fact that our body's metabolism is an exothermic reaction and we give off heat, we don't easily tolerate a living temperature equal to our body temperature, about 10 C lower is about ideal, to offset the heat we feel from our exothermic metabolism. These are basic biological facts as to why temperature of 20-30C is the most comfortable for a person; not requiring "protection" or "heating".

Old 12-16-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:

0C = 50C
5C = 45C
10C = 40C
15C = 35C
20C = 30C
25, about perfect.
Yeah, something like that, 20-30 perfect, then it degrades above or below that 20-30C range.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:47 AM

I was also in Florida in the summer, wow that 35C(95F) was unbearable, and I was sweating all over my body in Disney.

I opened the doors, let the hot air out of the car, then ran the A/C until it cooled down a bit.

When it is 39C, it will stay around there a while, buildings/houses were heated up and it could be over 45C under the roof if no A/C.

So 39C is unbearable even for a few hours, people living there will have to let the heat dissipate at night.

Tell me if people in this first world, the United States of America, could live comfortably or "feel very nice" at 39C (103F, give or take) without A/C

Old 12-16-2011, 09:48 AM

161 posts, read 125,719 times
A bit too warm for my liking, mainly in the winter time. The plus is that the precipitation is relatively low. C.

Old 12-16-2011, 10:16 AM

Key West Florida offers the best temperature in the winter in continental USA, it offers a 5C(9F) temperature fluctuation between day time high and overnight low, say from overnight 20C to daytime high 25C (68-77F) in the winter, depending on the day in the winter sometimes 21C to 26C, 22C to 27C, 19C-24C, 23C-28C ... That's why it is expensive ...

Did snowbirds ever flood to Utah ? Millions of them flood to Florida instead !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather