U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Rate the Climate: St George, Utah
A 2 7.69%
B 4 15.38%
C 9 34.62%
D 8 30.77%
E/F 3 11.54%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2011, 10:45 AM

10,364 posts, read 5,137,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
In fact, I've been and walked miles around cities across the world in 32C (90F) heat without the slightest discomfort my lad, and come back in and not once bothered to turn on the AC. In fact, one time when I was in Portugal, everybody insisted on turning on the AC (the temperature was 94F indoors) and I resisted it, but they turned it on and it felt freezing to me once it got down to 80F, because I was acclimatized to the heat.
Living and vacationing in a hot climate are two separate experiences, my lad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2
With moderate temperatures of 25-30C, I can wear the same outdoors as in. Real heat lovers don't use AC; the ones who do are not heat lovers. So by the same token cold lovers who dress up for cold and use heating don't love cold. Simple.

Poeple have been lighting fires for centuries to not feel cold in a cold climate.

Whereas AC was only around since the 20th century, people obviously could do very fine without it.
Because back then, work often involved working hard out in the fields in blazing 90F heat, back when men were men, not wusses sitting at a computer in some air conditioned office.
Have you worked outdoors in the summer heat? 86 F is not moderate if you're doing physical activity. Sure, it's nice if you're sitting on your ass drinking a wine cooler (). But if you're doing intense labor or a sport, it's no picnic. Much cooler weather is more conducive to outdoor labor and sports. Fact is, more people die in the heat than in the cold.

Though it may have more to do with historical circumstances, the hottest parts of the US didn't experience major populated growth until the advent of A/C. Today's modern world and economy wouldn't function as well without indoor climate control.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 01:17 PM

5,526 posts, read 3,719,088 times
I said the summers in St. George are pretty nice because it's hot and I like hot weather. Everyone has different preferences. Just for the record, I visited Uluru in Australia several years ago and hiked all the way around it in 36-37C weather and aside from a slight headache I was perfectly fine because I wore a hat, sunscreen and hydrated myself well.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:15 PM

3,479 posts, read 2,538,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

Have you worked outdoors in the summer heat? 86 F is not moderate if you're doing physical activity. Sure, it's nice if you're sitting on your ass drinking a wine cooler (). But if you're doing intense labor or a sport, it's no picnic. Much cooler weather is more conducive to outdoor labor and sports. Fact is, more people die in the heat than in the cold.

Though it may have more to do with historical circumstances, the hottest parts of the US didn't experience major populated growth until the advent of A/C. Today's modern world and economy wouldn't function as well without indoor climate control.
Amen. 86 degrees is almost a cold snap for a Florida summer. And throw in humidity in the 90 percent range for 6 months. If anyone says they enjoy Florida type summer weather, you can bet they; A) Aren't being entirely truthful B) Don't really spend too much time in it C) Are ill.

If A/C ceased to exist, Florida would empty out.

Old 12-16-2011, 02:47 PM

7,039 posts, read 3,428,237 times
Quote:

In my past, I have infact done manual labor and physical activity in 30C temperatures, and not suffered, in fact I enjoyed it; because I kept myself hydrated properly. I prefer doing outdoors stuff including labor in warmth, certainly not in the cold. I don't like doing anything in the cold at all, my hands go numb and sting, and the cold is generally an unpleasant sensation. Also I find the cold makes me stiff, and move much slower, and as I've said before, it gives me headaches which make it harder to be active.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughanwilliams View Post
If anyone says they enjoy Florida type summer weather, you can bet they; A) Aren't being entirely truthful B) Don't really spend too much time in it C) Are ill.
Utter garbage dude.

A) I'm being entirely truthful

B) Could (and have) spent all day out in it

C) Quite the opposite. Such weather isn't difficult to cope with for a fit and healthy person. I'm slim with naturally low blood pressure which makes handling heat easier, fat slobs with associated problems get hot much quicker.

Just 'cause you can't handle it doesn't mean I can't. Gotta love "u people" who define categories set to your standards that somebody "must" fit in (according to you) because you can't comprehend they actually are being truthful about something they really do like....

Bottom line is: I like warmth because it takes no preperation, I can be indoors and out in the same clothing, it feels comfortable, for all or most activities, and it makes me happy.

Cold lovers still use their heating and dress up in "winter clothing" for the cold. Clear who's the hypocrites here. Not warmth lovers. Duuuhhh.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 12-16-2011 at 03:07 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 03:59 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,588,885 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
Here's my comment:

(3) Let's say again there's flexibility, I begin to sweat a bit from 28C (83F) and sweat at 30C (86F) and I will need cold water and I am not choppy, in fact I am average size ... So let's say big people will begin to sweat at around 20C (68F) and skinny people will begin to sweat at around 30C (86F) or even 33C (92F).

That's interesting, heat loss definitely has something to with body size. I'm slim and I'm a heat lover so I do fit the stereotype.

Yet, the vast majority of people I know personally, whether skinny or fat, like heat much less than I do.

To give examples, I definitely wouldn't mind walking an hour or so in a "Canadian heatwave" of 32C/90F, with a water bottle on me, but most I know wouldn't like it even for half an hour.

I vividly remember this summer in Toronto, when I was working in a heavily airconditioned (kept no higher than 20C in working hours, and often cooler) office, my co-workers actually used words like "torture", "death" and "hell" to describe a really hot July when there were several days going into 95F in the afternoons. They all acted like they dreaded the outdoors, and scrambled from building to building when they had to go outside, as if they were soldiers rushing from bunker to bunker during an air raid. One girl told another at that time to be "careful" because she was going to the post office or something, which was a walk of maybe less than five minutes away and more like two or three minutes, and when she got back was greeted with "you survived!".

Funny, I never seen/heard people around me acting this way so melodramatically on a cold day in any Canadian city, like they did then during the "heat wave".

Also, many people in Ontario I know find temps above 24C/75F indoors too warm, even the lower 70s indoors on the warm side, too but I like it at 75-77F.

On a related note, I also know especially a lot of petite women who really love the cold and hate the heat, so while body size has to do with it, it can't be all there is.

(All-in-all though, from what I read on this forum, I realize my "heat tolerance" is real tame to some heat-lovers! So, it's just high compared to people I know and have mostly been around.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I don't like hot drinks of any kind, and even in the coldest day of winter I drink cold drinks.

That's actually a similar preference to me but not completely (as I do like hot chocolate sometimes on a winter's day, and also like to be warmed up by drinking soup, though I consider soups as part of, or going along with meals/food rather than "drinks").

My mouth gets dry and I feel thirsty a lot, even in winter but I feel like all drinks I use to quench my thirst should be cool in temperature to be refreshing.

When I am drinking hot chocolate, warm tea or hot soup, I'm usually not drinking it because I want "a drink" out desire to quench thirst, but 'cause I'm in the mood for it.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:02 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,355,019 times
I rated St. George as E/F, but on second thought, the 103F dry heat isn't that much of a difference compared to the 95F humid heat where I used to live. Snow chances are probably better too, so I'll give it a D.

Old 12-16-2011, 04:11 PM

261 posts, read 164,977 times
Wethearfan2 just got owned..............

Old 12-16-2011, 04:19 PM

7,039 posts, read 3,428,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamnine View Post
Wethearfan2 just got owned..............
You didn't notice but this debate is not a competition, "heat lovers vs cold lovers", nobody owns anybody here, people have different tolerances for different weather, so what the hell is your problem, trying to make the debate some kind of competition? The things I said are true to me, even if they're not for other people. That doesn't make me "owned" so get lost.

The point I drove home that cold lovers don't really love cold because they live in heated houses and wear winter clothing is pure fact, boy, and the rest of it, like I said "I also said I enjoy warmth, being out in warmth, working in warmth, and the cold affects me negatively" is also a fact, as I know what I can stand.

Last edited by Weatherfan2; 12-16-2011 at 04:43 PM..

Old 12-16-2011, 06:23 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,078,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowbird100 View Post
Someone voted it A !????

He must have loved the very hot 39C(103F) in the summer and the cool in Spring/Fall/Winter then, hmmmm...
You got it!

Old 12-16-2011, 06:27 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,078,802 times
Quote:
Much cooler weather is more conducive to outdoor labor and sports. Fact is, more people die in the heat than in the cold.
Actually strenuous exercise in cold weather is very dangerous for anyone with high blood pressure or atherosclerosis because the cold temperature thickens the blood, exacerbating both conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather