Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate: St George, Utah
A 2 6.90%
B 4 13.79%
C 10 34.48%
D 10 34.48%
E/F 3 10.34%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2011, 08:13 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
The thing about desert climates like St. George is they don't stay at 39C all day, all year. If you've lived in a hot desert, you'll see what people are talking about when it comes to comfort levels.

Highs around 35-40 are very common here in summer, and life doesn't end, I didn't even have A/C, just cold showers during the day, avoiding the afternoon sun, and doing outdoor things at night. Evenings in the 24-32 area can be very pleasant with a breeze and low humidity, and St. George's average lows are around 20 and 21 in the hottest months.
If you're trying to convince us coldies that St. George has a nice climate, then you're not doing a very good job.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2011, 08:35 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
The thing about desert climates like St. George is they don't stay at 39C all day, all year. If you've lived in a hot desert, you'll see what people are talking about when it comes to comfort levels.

Highs around 35-40 are very common here in summer, and life doesn't end, I didn't even have A/C, just cold showers during the day, avoiding the afternoon sun, and doing outdoor things at night. Evenings in the 24-32 area can be very pleasant with a breeze and low humidity, and St. George's average lows are around 20 and 21 in the hottest months.
I totally agree, you are 100% correct. Those temps are very pleasant, if not too humid and especially in the evening. Better than going outside into a blast of stinging cold air. Even the coldies go out in snow with their hats and coats on LOL. They don't really like the cold that much then.

Whereas I can wear the same clothes if it's 30 degrees outside as I do indoors, no change.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:43 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
A dry heat is certainly more tolerable, but it's still hot nonetheless. A/C would still be necessary, especially in a car.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:47 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I totally agree, you are 100% correct. Those temps are very pleasant, if not too humid and especially in the evening. Better than going outside into a blast of stinging cold air. Even the coldies go out in snow with their hats and coats on LOL. They don't really like the cold that much then.

Whereas I can wear the same clothes if it's 30 degrees outside as I do indoors, no change.
38C is not pleasant. 21C is pleasant.

Spending too much time outdoors without coats on eventually becomes uncomfortable, but I still love cold, seasonal weather, and I am not entirely sure why you are so desperate to change our minds. Does it bother you?

Old 12-16-2011, 08:56 AM

584 posts, read 1,688,556 times
Please note: We are talking about 39C (103F), not 30C (86F) !

Of course 30C (86F) is nice, just like Singapore !

I would say from 20C(68F) to 30C(86F) is the comfort level for most people, give or take.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:

The difference is warm clothes actually keep me comfortable in cold weather. Short of jumping in a pool or blasting the A/C, not much will keep me cool during the summer.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:02 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
F

Way too dry.
Not enough greenery.
Winter too mild
Too much sun

Old 12-16-2011, 09:03 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,416,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
38C is not pleasant. 21C is pleasant.

Spending too much time outdoors without coats on eventually becomes uncomfortable, but I still love cold, seasonal weather, and I am not entirely sure why you are so desperate to change our minds. Does it bother you?
30 degrees, not 38 degrees.

People who say they love cold weather still don't like feeling cold though, why do they heat their homes, wear coats and hats etc...

To me the reason I like 25-30°C is because I like the way it feels, and can wear the same indoors as out, but a cold lover can't say they love the feel of raw cold, as in without any thing else than what they'd wear in their heated homes. Cold lovers don't actually love cold.

Old 12-16-2011, 09:08 AM

584 posts, read 1,688,556 times
I wonder if it is a rocket science or not, but I don't think it is !

When people are given a choice and compare, they will tell you what's the normal comfort levels for human.

I know people from South Asia, who moved to Canada. Now they are given the choice and experienced both. They said India is hot hot hot, and the love the summer weather in Canada (around 25C/77F).

If people are not given the choice, say they live in a dessert. They will have to adapt to the condition where they are living in. Say in the Middle East, people will cover themselves with all white clothing from head to toe like those in Saudi Arabia ... They will say "I am ok, I survive 45C ..."

Same as the natives who live in the Northwest Territories in Canada, they also survive the cold, -45C and they said "It's ok, I survive -45C ..."

The question here is: To logically and scientifically discuss the comfort temperatures that our human race love, I think it is between 20C(68F) and 30C(86F), give or take.

That's why I am afraid one day there will be people in this forum who claims it is comfortable at 45C (113F) or -45C ...

Old 12-16-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
30 degrees, not 38 degrees.

21 is a bit cold if it's cloudy and windy. Low end of comfortable room temperature. Not a summer's day, more like early spring (in an ideal world).

People who say they love cold weather still don't like feeling cold though, why do they heat their homes, wear coats and hats etc...

To me the reason I like 25-30°C is because I like the way it feels, and can wear the same indoors as out, but a cold lover can't say they love the feel of raw cold, as in without any thing else than what they'd wear in their heated homes. Cold lovers don't actually love cold.
The same can be said of heat lovers. Why do they turn on the A/C, go swimming, and have cold drinks? And I know you've claimed you could live in a subtropical climate without A/C, but that's easy for someone who has never lived in a climate with hot summers to say.

At the end of the day, humans have a pretty narrow range of temperatures that can be considered comfortable. But thanks to technology and clothing, we're able to deal with much broader weather conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather