U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Yuma vs. Marquette
Yuma 11 33.33%
Marquette 22 66.67%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 07:41 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,047,734 times
Although neither climate is ideal, Yuma would be my choice, ultimately, due to the mild winters (I could grin and bare it during the summer). Fortunately, Yuma has a dry heat during MOST of the summer (minus the monsoonal times). Marquette, on the other hand, has very cold winters, coupled with humidity which makes it too extreme for my tastes.

Ian
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2011, 07:54 PM

13,767 posts, read 7,138,087 times
Despite what most people say I feel that a hot dry heat in Phoenix would be more brutal then a humid heat in Miami..

I remember reading of a heatwave in Phoenix, by a person visiting with their child, and their child became ill and had breahting problems and headaches due to the extreme heat.. and for that reason I feel that I'd enjoy a humid 86f in Miami then a dry 100f in Phoenix.. just my thoughts though, but I would obviously take a dry 80f then over a humid 80f.. I suspect one of the reasons why heat in the UK can be so uncomfortable, despite its infrequency, is because of how humid it is.

Old 12-24-2011, 07:57 PM

1,657 posts, read 2,047,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Despite what most people say I feel that a hot dry heat in Phoenix would be more brutal then a humid heat in Miami..

I remember reading of a heatwave in Phoenix, by a person visiting with their child, and their child became ill and had breahting problems and headaches due to the extreme heat.. and for that reason I feel that I'd enjoy a humid 86f in Miami then a dry 100f in Phoenix.. just my thoughts though
Well now, if this poll was Yuma vs. Miami, I would pick Miami anyday over Yuma. Thats a no brainer . I have no doubt the heat in Yuma is worse than the Heat Index experienced in Miami. Plus, Miami also sees its fair share of afternoon popcorn variety thunderstorms, which help break up the intense sunlight (unlike Yuma, except during the monsoons).

Ian

Old 12-24-2011, 09:06 PM

13,490 posts, read 6,409,440 times
Yuma in the winter, Marquette in the summer.

Actually, neither place seems appealing to me, weather-wise, but being that I'm from the West Coast, I'd give a slight nod to Yuma.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:37 PM

10,384 posts, read 5,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post

I remember reading of a heatwave in Phoenix, by a person visiting with their child, and their child became ill and had breahting problems and headaches due to the extreme heat.. and for that reason I feel that I'd enjoy a humid 86f in Miami then a dry 100f in Phoenix.. just my thoughts though, but I would obviously take a dry 80f then over a humid 80f.. I suspect one of the reasons why heat in the UK can be so uncomfortable, despite its infrequency, is because of how humid it is.
My experience has been different. In July 2010 we had a stretch of days with the high between 95-100 F with moderate humidity (50s and low 60s). I thought it was more comfortable than a humid 86 F. Granted, neither is ideal, but I'll take a dry heat over a humid heat. This past July we had a very humid afternoon and the temperature reached 99 F. The heat index was 112 F at one point. Now that was brutal.

Old 12-24-2011, 09:44 PM

13,767 posts, read 7,138,087 times
Yeah, in general I'll take dry heat over a humid heat, especially when it comes to night time temperatures.

Old 12-27-2011, 07:39 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,447,546 times
Yummy Yuma for me please.

Old 12-27-2011, 03:49 PM

1,480 posts, read 975,843 times
This poll makes me laugh a little because I spent two years in Marquette and still visit because I have a lot of friends up there...

I take Marquette by a mile over Yuma. With that heat in Yuma, you cannot do anything. With the weather in Marquette, regardless how cold it gets, which it gets really cold, I can still go to the Black Rocks, hike Hogsback and or Dead River Falls, get down to Hidden Beach, or go to Wetmore Landing, which I have in wind chills below -10 F.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:46 PM

7,289 posts, read 7,203,379 times
Marquette between just before when the leaves turn green (which I figure would be some time in mid-May there) and right after they fall (mid-October?)

Yuma between mid-October late April or early May.

I'm sure some retirees do exactly that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather