U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: which coast?
West coast 35 50.00%
East coast 19 27.14%
Gulf coast 16 22.86%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-29-2011, 08:08 AM

4,445 posts, read 4,769,157 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeonhole View Post
Nowhere in southern China is anywhere near this warm in the coldest month. In fact, one would have to get into Vietnam to find average temps as warm as Key West in East Asia in January.

Are you sure about that ? I believe Hainan island at 20°Latitude must be warmer in winter than S Florida, would be very surprised if it hadn't a mean January temp of at least 22 ° C/ 73° F...
Although I was taking about mainland China only - you got me curious so I checked:

The capital city on Hainan Island is Haikou – which has a January mean temp of 63 F….about as warm as stations on the central Florida East Coast line Melbourne or Stuart…and a far cry from the stations like Miami (68 F) or Key West (70 F).

Haikou: HAIKOU, CHINA Weather History and Climate Data

The reason for this (in part at least) is that the East Asian winter monsoon is much stronger than the eastern USA winter monsoon. The East Asian monsoon is more intense, with colder high pressure areas that drop southward from Siberia over China and cool monthly mean temps (relatively speaking), more than Florida.
Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2011, 10:51 AM

5,914 posts, read 4,484,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Although I was taking about mainland China only - you got me curious so I checked:

The capital city on Hainan Island is Haikou – which has a January mean temp of 63 F….about as warm as stations on the central Florida East Coast line Melbourne or Stuart…and a far cry from the stations like Miami (68 F) or Key West (70 F).

Haikou: HAIKOU, CHINA Weather History and Climate Data

The reason for this (in part at least) is that the East Asian winter monsoon is much stronger than the eastern USA winter monsoon. The East Asian monsoon is more intense, with colder high pressure areas that drop southward from Siberia over China and cool monthly mean temps (relatively speaking), more than Florida.
Haikou is nowhere near the warmest spot on Hainan in winter though. Sanya on the south coast of the island looks like it actually averages slightly warmer than Key West in January (21.6C vs 21.3C) for Key West and is also reachable by auto from Northern China via a short 27km ferry ride (type it into Google Maps if you don't believe me)

Sanya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Key West - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I don't agree that national borders prevent people from travelling for people who have the monetary means to do so. If that were the case, why do millions of Canadians visit Florida, Mexico, Dominican Republic every year? Think of how much tourism dollars help local economies in countries all over the world. Your assertion doesn't make any sense.

Old 12-29-2011, 12:47 PM

861 posts, read 799,185 times
Durian (ultra-tropical fruit) is grown commercially in parts of Hainan, so parts of the island must never drop below 55*F. For comparison, durian fails above 16N in Burma.

Old 12-29-2011, 04:14 PM

28,627 posts, read 14,847,483 times
While all the coasts have their pluses and minus, and east coast weather give me more of a feeling of home; I'll have to go with the west coast. California has such wonderfully mild climates.

Old 12-29-2011, 05:56 PM

3,754 posts, read 2,971,226 times
West Coast.

East Coast from North Carolina north.

Gulf Coast, no thanks.

Old 12-29-2011, 07:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Haikou is nowhere near the warmest spot on Hainan in winter though. Sanya on the south coast of the island looks like it actually averages slightly warmer than Key West in January (21.6C vs 21.3C) for Key West and is also reachable by auto from Northern China via a short 27km ferry ride (type it into Google Maps if you don't believe me)

Sanya - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Key West - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Also, I don't agree that national borders prevent people from travelling for people who have the monetary means to do so. If that were the case, why do millions of Canadians visit Florida, Mexico, Dominican Republic every year? Think of how much tourism dollars help local economies in countries all over the world. Your assertion doesn't make any sense.
I thought we were comparing places that can be reached by auto …and not planes, boats, ferries, and storks- lol. Synaia can’t be reached by auto, and Key West can. If you are going to include places that can't be reached by auto in the USA - then you have to use Dry Tortugas 60 miles southwest of Key West, with a Jan mean temp of 71. 5 F...warmer than Synaia. Where should we end this - a ferry ride to the US Virgin Islands in the Caribbean?

My point and the fact is that compared to the East Coast of Japan or China…the East Coast of the USA has a roadway that one can reach a warmer climate in winter. You can’t spin it any other way.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
I thought we were comparing places that can be reached by auto …and not planes, boats, ferries, and storks- lol. Synaia can’t be reached by auto, and Key West can. If you are going to include places that can't be reached by auto in the USA - then you have to use Dry Tortugas 60 miles southwest of Key West, with a Jan mean temp of 71. 5 F...warmer than Synaia. Where should we end this - a ferry ride to the US Virgin Islands in the Caribbean?

My point and the fact is that compared to the East Coast of Japan or China…the East Coast of the USA has a roadway that one can reach a warmer climate in winter. You can’t spin it any other way.
Hainan island is connected to the Chinese highway network by a short ferry and therefore it CAN be reached by auto from anywhere in China. By your logic, I can't reach Victoria, BC by auto from Vancouver because I have to take a ferry even though it's nearby. The Dry Tortugas, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico currently have no regular car ferry running to them from either Miami or Key West. If you don't believe me, do a google map driving directions from Miami to San Juan, PR and see what you come up with...

Old 12-29-2011, 08:01 PM

933 posts, read 923,071 times
Quote:

Your assertion is the one that makes no sense . You made an assertion that East Asia as a whole is more superior to US East coast because Chinese have the means to travel from northern China to Singapore. WTH? In that case, Americans can also travel from the very northern tip of Maine to Central and South America by auto for the warmest tropical weather on earth. Fair enough.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Hainan island is connected to the Chinese highway network by a short ferry and therefore it CAN be reached by auto from anywhere in China. By your logic, I can't reach Victoria, BC by auto from Vancouver because I have to take a ferry even though it's nearby. The Dry Tortugas, US Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico currently have no regular car ferry running to them from either Miami or Key West. If you don't believe me, do a google map driving directions from Miami to San Juan, PR and see what you come up with...
...but you (and your auto) HAVE to get on a boat - you can't drive there correct?

You (and your auto) can drive to Key West WITHOUT any boat.

Old 12-29-2011, 08:18 PM

Quote:
...but you (and your auto) HAVE to get on a boat - you can't drive there correct?

You (and your auto) can drive to Key West WITHOUT any boat.
Why does it matter? They're both still connected to the highway system one way or another... It doesn't matter anyway because China is currently starting construction on a bridge next year to Hainan that will be completed in 2020.

Hainan bridge scheme proposed
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather