U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: which coast?
West coast 52 48.15%
East coast 35 32.41%
Gulf coast 21 19.44%
Voters: 108. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 12:54 PM

933 posts, read 1,714,048 times

Advertisements

Which coast has the best climate? Because we are lumping together so many states, which all have their drawbacks and benefits, vote for the part of the US that you believe to offer the most balanced, or the most variability for your climate needs. The twist here is that you have to consider ALL the states within its realm. Note that we only look at "coastal" weather, i.e. only places with oceanic-influenced climates are considered, as climate changes when you move further inland. So in the case of Alaska (West coast), to be fair, we should only take into account places that exhibit oceanic climates, like Juneau, Anchorage, and exclude the more continental zones. Note that the Texas coast is slightly cooler than the inland. I will mention two climates from the extreme ends of each region for consideration.

West Coast: From the Alaskan Aleutians to southern Cal.

cities: from San Diego, all the way to Anchorage
characteristics: most pronounced oceanic influenced, mildest weather for the country's standards, cool summer, and warm to cold winter; can be sunny on the southern end or gloomy on the Aleutians extreme end. Climates range from Mediterranean to Subarctic; humid continental does not exist here

Gulf Coast: Texas to Alabama (for the purpose of this thread)

cities: Brownsville - Mobile
characteristics: hot, humid summer and warm winters. This realm offers the least seasonal variability and is therefore, the most tropical of all the coasts. All climates are humid subtropical

East Coast: Maine to Florida (the Florida keys are included)
cities: Caribou - Miami
characteristics: more continental, less marine-influenced compared to the West, most locations have hot summer and warm to cold winters. Climates range from humid continental to tropical, though the largest portion of the coast along its length is humid subtropical; the only realm with an option for tropical weather.

be careful of what you choose. If you choose the East coast, you are professing your love for both the tropical heat of south Florida and the frigid winters of northern Maine.

My choice is obviously the West coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2011, 01:20 PM

4,445 posts, read 8,619,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
Which coast has the best climate? Because we are lumping together so many states, which all have their drawbacks and benefits, vote for the part of the US that you believe to offer the most balanced, or the most variability for your climate needs. The twist here is that you have to consider ALL the states within its realm. Note that we only look at "coastal" weather, i.e. only places with oceanic-influenced climates are considered, as climate changes when you move further inland. So in the case of Alaska (West coast), to be fair, we should only take into account places that exhibit oceanic climates, like Juneau, Anchorage, and exclude the more continental zones. Note that the Texas coast is slightly cooler than the inland. I will mention two climates from the extreme ends of each region for consideration.

West Coast: From the Alaskan Aleutians to southern Cal.

cities: from San Diego, all the way to Anchorage
characteristics: most pronounced oceanic influenced, mildest weather for the country's standards, cool summer, and warm to cold winter; can be sunny on the southern end or gloomy on the Aleutians extreme end. Climates range from Mediterranean to Subarctic; humid continental does not exist here

Gulf Coast: Texas to Alabama (for the purpose of this thread)

cities: Brownsville - Mobile
characteristics: hot, humid summer and warm winters. This realm offers the least seasonal variability and is therefore, the most tropical of all the coasts. All climates are humid subtropical

East Coast: Maine to Florida (the Florida keys are included)
cities: Caribou - Miami
characteristics: more continental, less marine-influenced compared to the West, most locations have hot summer and warm to cold winters. Climates range from humid continental to tropical, though the largest portion of the coast along its length is humid subtropical; the only realm with an option for tropical weather.

be careful of what you choose. If you choose the East coast, you are professing your love for both the tropical heat of south Florida and the frigid winters of northern Maine.

My choice is obviously the West coast.

I’ve always said in terms of weather interest – there are few coasts in the world like the East Coast; There are tropical climates with coconut palms with an endless summer at one end (southern Florida)…and higher elevation cold winter climates with heavy snow at the other end (Maine). The best part is one super highway (I-95 ) connects it all.

I would have to go with the East Coast.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:44 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,107,881 times
Aw, you forgot the Arctic coast. Who doesn't love the brisk delights of Barrow, Alaska!

It's all pretty meaningless if San Diego, California and Adak, Alaska; Key West, Florida and Portland, Maine, are all in one category.

Given the choice of a potential booby-prize on either coast, I'll go for the Gulf Of Mexico. Humid subtropical not at all at its best, but decent enough for a heat-lover like me.

Old 12-28-2011, 01:46 PM

10,130 posts, read 11,866,793 times
Gulf Coast definitely for me. It doesn't include any climates I would hate but rather climates that are tolerable to decent

Old 12-28-2011, 01:48 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,107,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
I’ve always said in terms of weather interest – there are few coasts in the world like the East Coast; There are tropical climates with coconut palms with an endless summer at one end (southern Florida)…and higher elevation cold winter climates with heavy snow at the other end (Maine). The best part is one super highway (I-95 ) connects it all.

I would have to go with the East Coast.
Japan is a lot like the American east coast, so is China. There is a big range from southern Kyushu to northern Hokkaido that goes from borderline tropical to a climate quite a bit colder than Maine's coast, all linked with rail.

Old 12-28-2011, 02:30 PM

12,330 posts, read 10,295,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Aw, you forgot the Arctic coast. Who doesn't love the brisk delights of Barrow, Alaska!

It's all pretty meaningless if San Diego, California and Adak, Alaska; Key West, Florida and Portland, Maine, are all in one category.

Given the choice of a potential booby-prize on either coast, I'll go for the Gulf Of Mexico. Humid subtropical not at all at its best, but decent enough for a heat-lover like me.
I think this is pretty much how I feel. I would take the Gulf Coast rather than have Maine. I prefer warm over cold, however, the Gulf Coast would be so much better if there weren't the cold fronts that can knock temps below freezing every once in a while.

What would be your fav Cfa or Cwa climate in the world? I'm thinking Australia north of Sydney up to and beyond Brisbane. Argentina/Brazil would also fit the bill better than the Gulf Coast ( I would think less chance of freezes). The only problem with both of these is you will never match the really warm water temps of the Gulf Coast.

Gulf Coast is still not too shabby. Last March I was in Destin, FL (north Gulf Coast-same as Mobile) and the temps were in the mid-60's each day and hit 70F the day I was leaving. I stuck my foot in the Gulf and it felt warm enough to swim if the air were warmer. Every day was sunshine. Not bad for March.

Here they are:

Old 12-28-2011, 02:38 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,648,002 times
East Coast - snowstorms, hurricanes, thunderstorms etc

Old 12-28-2011, 02:42 PM

5,899 posts, read 8,407,315 times
west coast, never too hot.

Old 12-28-2011, 05:45 PM

17,164 posts, read 13,703,930 times
I would find a temp range that I most like in the West Coast, but I don't like the dry summer it has. Gulf Coast is too warm for too long. The East Coast has the variety I like . Temps aren't quite perfect, but together with good rainfall distribution, make for some good all round climates.

East Coast for me.

Old 12-28-2011, 06:47 PM

175 posts, read 356,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
If you choose the East coast, you are professing your love for both the tropical heat of south Florida and the frigid winters of northern Maine.
Definitely the East Coast then!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or