Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-31-2011, 10:28 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times

Advertisements

The weather has been pretty mild up in the Canadian Arctic so far. Because of this, I don't expect there to be a major cold wave entering the lower-48 any time soon. The weather forecast for Yellowknife is showing warmer than normal temps.Yellowknife's forecast seems very toasty compared to Fairbanks in the upcoming weeks. If you are interested in predicting cold waves, just follow the weather forecast for Yellowknife or some cities in the Canadian Arctic.
- I'm not sure if this is the way it works, but my prediction is that the current cold air mass in Interior Alaska will get pushed over to Canada sometimes in the upcoming weeks, and subsequently down to the lower-48. Whenever Fairbanks gets below-average temps, Yellowknife and the lower-48 states are always warmer than the average. Soon enough, the cold air from AK moves to the Canadian side and brings colder than average temps to the lower-48 states.

Last edited by Kaul; 12-31-2011 at 10:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2011, 11:07 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Yellowknife is still very cold.. so I don't think it matters if it's 'pretty' mild in Yellowknife, because it's still a helluva lot colder then the lower 48

Old 12-31-2011, 11:28 PM

914 posts, read 2,104,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yellowknife is still very cold.. so I don't think it matters if it's 'pretty' mild in Yellowknife, because it's still a helluva lot colder then the lower 48
Yes but right now, Yellowknife is just as cold as Anchorage, and will be warmer in some upcoming days, which is pretty funny .

Old 01-01-2012, 07:18 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Hmm interesting idea, but wasn't Fairbanks really cold in November and the eastern US stayed warm?

Old 01-01-2012, 11:38 AM

83,516 posts, read 75,307,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
... It's definitely a cold snap, but at least for the northeast it's not all that extremely cold; not near a typical coldest of the entire winter cold. The cold reaching that far south might be unusual, I'm not that familiar with the US.
I think you're right... Aside from the near 0 degree winds, the temps will only be 5-10 below normal.

But everyone has their definition of extreme. Extreme to me is like -25°F temp, but some might see the 50's and mild December right to feeling near Zero degrees as extreme. Either way - this should be the coldest of the season so far. Should be interesting to track.

From NWS Boston

Quote:
THE COMBINATION OF TEMPS AND WIND WILL BRING WIND CHILLS IN THE SINGLE NUMBERS AND LOW TEENS DURING THE DAY...AND ZERO TO -10F DURING TUESDAY NIGHT.

Old 01-01-2012, 06:47 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Should be quite chilly for a couple days this week in much of the east. Windchill values as low as -15 F are being forecasted by the NWS for my area. A hard freeze is expected down to Orlando, FL. Miami is forecasted to drop down to 40 F and only reach the low 60s Tuesday. Myrtle Beach is forecasted to only have a high of 40 F and a low down to 23 F.

Parts of Northern New England and Upstate NY will struggle to rise into the single digits.

Nothing exceptional, but still internesting nonetheless.

Old 01-01-2012, 09:13 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Quote:
The more I think about it, the more I agree about the hype assessment. It's definitely a cold snap, but at least for the northeast it's not all that extremely cold; not near a typical coldest of the entire winter cold. The cold reaching that far south might be unusual, I'm not that familiar with the US.
Whoops. I'm to write I'm not that familiar with that part of the US, compared to some other regions. I'm more familiar with the US as a whole than just about anywhere else, obviously.

Stupid typos.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Whoops. I'm to write I'm not that familiar with that part of the US, compared to some other regions. I'm more familiar with the US as a whole than just about anywhere else, obviously.

Stupid typos.
LOL. At first I thought you were from another country but kinda figured out it wasnt finished. :-)

-----------

The list will continue to grow but take a look at all the alerts. Even a Wind Chill advisory for Florida. And take a look at the entire state list.

Intellicast - Weather Alerts

Quote:
* TEMPERATURE...LOW TEMPERATURES COULD FALL INTO THE UPPER 20S TO THE LOWER 30S TUESDAY NIGHT INTO WEDNESDAY MORNING ACROSS MUCH OF INLAND SOUTH FLORIDA AND ACROSS COASTAL COLLIER COUNTY...INCLUDING THE NAPLES AREA

Old 01-02-2012, 07:42 AM

4,429 posts, read 10,363,775 times
Just to add to some comments above –

Although the depth or severity of the cold that is to arrive on Tue may not be really noteworthy in the Ohio Valley and East Coast…we should still keep in mind that is the first time this winter (and since last Feb) that many stations on the Gulf Coast and Florida have been threatened with lows below 40 F … and below 50 F for much of central and south Florida. In fact, much of the Gulf coast and Florida was the last hold out in the USA for having lows above 40 F: Most NWS stations in the western subtropical sector like Los Angeles, San Diego, Phoenix…ect have already fallen below 40 F this winter.

The lowest temp so far this winter in Miami has been 55 F and in Orlando 42 F. I think on Tuesday night Miami will fall to around 45 F or so and I think Orlando will fall into the lower 30’s. By Wed night it looks like lows should moderate, lower/middle 40’s in Orlando and low 50’s in Miami.

Old 01-02-2012, 10:26 AM

It's "almost" comical to see people stocking up on supplies from temps near or above freezing, but we have to remember in south Florida they never use heaters so I guess they all are preparing for it.

Handwarmers, hats, scarfs, indoor space heaters are flying off the shelf.

Southwest Florida preparing for the cold - NBC-2.com WBBH News for Fort Myers, Cape Coral & Naples, Florida

Quote:
People in Southwest Florida are doing anything they can to prepare for the cold weather. But perhaps the most common preparations are covering their plants and shrubs with cloth and stocking up on supplies

The other popular item of the day is a freeze cloth. It is sold by the foot and is selling fast
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather