Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 03:37 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
It's not just lying on the beach at noon though - would somebody like me with a northern European skin tone living in Singapore need to put on the factor 30 as part of everyday life, e.g. if I just wanted to go for a walk or sit out in a beer garden for an hour, or would I eventually get used to it? The idea of people having to be wary of the summer sun rather than enjoy it seems alien to me.
Well I'm French with Austrian ancestors so I'm a rather pale blonde guy but I never had any problem there nor did I use any protection against the sun. In a equatorial climate like Singapore sunshine is rather intermittent and often blocked by clouds so you're not really roasting
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 03:38 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
For me I picked 0-10 degrees either side of the equator mainly due to the threat of tropical cyclones as at these latitudes, tropical cyclones become extremely rare to almost non existent.
Temperature wise, I probably would be very happy with anything up to about 20 N/S. Sunshine is somewhat important but certainly nowhere near as important as temperature. That is my number one criteria... it has to be always warm/hot and very rarely if ever cool down.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:27 PM

1,239 posts, read 2,794,560 times
Sun is a very low priority above around 20-23C. The lower the temperature, the higher the sunshine must be to compensate, though beneath 8C it doesn't make a huge difference. In 30C temperatures cloudy weather ( even cloudy weather with frequent rain ) is a bonus.

I prefer the lower intensity light found at high latitudes. Only the temperature bothers me. Sitting in a greenhouse or conservatory with British December sunshine can feel just perfect!

Old 01-02-2012, 06:38 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,467,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
I play tennis/golf almost everyday in the summer from may to sept and am unbothered by the sun... never get burned. But do get very dark.
I was outside most days this summer (latitude in the 40s). Rarely sunburned, but also got very dark — a medium (or maybe more than medium) brown color.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:53 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
I tan well myself, though I often get minor sunburn on my face at the start of the season. Usual exposed areas (face, arms, and neck) get tan every year. My abdomen, chest, and back are rarely exposed long enough to get much sun, though I've gotten tan vacationing in South Carolina and Florida during the summer. I'm sure I would get a wicked sun burn if I didn't use caution though. I hate having to wear sun screen, but it's better than the alternative.

Either way, not very healthy to get overly tanned. You won't age well and you increase your risk of skin cancer.

Old 01-02-2012, 06:58 PM

504 posts, read 1,270,547 times
35-65, ideal would probably be around 50.

Old 01-02-2012, 07:12 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post

Either way, not very healthy to get overly tanned. You won't age well and you increase your risk of skin cancer.
Yea, I should have used sunscreen more. I built up to the sun, which was why I didn't burn, though when I do burn, it's usually mild.

Old 01-02-2012, 08:56 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,361,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
He said 60-75N in summer.. places this latitude in Canada have nice summers
Really - lol. Where is that?

Places in Canada between 60 to 75 North have pretty awful summers. About 95% of the population on earth would find them horrific - lol. In fact, north of around 60 north latitude – you are in the Tundra (Ft): Raw and chilly, the warmest months in the Tundra normally have mean temps in the mid to upper 40’s (7 – 9 C). Coppermine N.W.T has a July mean temp of 48 F (8 C)….while stations like Ponds Inlet have a July mean temp of 42 F (6 C). Daily highs would struggle to reach the middle to upper 50’s and nights would tumble into the 30’s – “in summer”. “Killing frosts” is possible even in July in the Tundra.

Along the coasts at this latitude (above 65 N), where water, ice, and land are in close proximity, fogs are very common. These fogs last for weeks at a time and are extraordinarily depressing. Worse…because of the permanently frozen subsoil, (permafrost), subsurface drainage is poor. So cold bogs and swampy ground are common in these latitudes – as are myriads of blackflies that make life unbearable for both human and animal life.

If Canada was to start marketing it’s climates (lol)…I don’t think they would start with their summers between 60 and 75 latitude – lol.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:06 PM

914 posts, read 2,103,837 times
Not in Canada, but Alaska has nice summers at those attitudes

Old 01-02-2012, 09:08 PM

Fairbanks and Whitehorse both have pleasant summers, at least to those who dislike heat. Ditto for parts of Scandinavia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather