Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:40 AM

5,781 posts, read 11,871,739 times

Advertisements

"North of 75", Gosh! what is there up there besides ICE anyway ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,578,708 times
He said 60-75N in summer.. places this latitude in Canada have nice summers

Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 AM

1,239 posts, read 2,794,560 times
Are we speaking about daylight hours and UV or average temperatures?

As for the former, I like 58-62 or so. Far enough north to get magical summer twilights but not so far north there's no day in winter or the somewhat insomniac midnight sun. Low UV is good for me.

Temperature-wise, 5 north or south of the equator is the safest bet for a warmth-lover like me. It avoids the really extreme hot zones, but also the variable winters, hurricanes, and extreme climates that proliferate in the mid-lattitudes.

This leaves me with my options as a really, really deep fictional basin climate around 60N as my choice. Go me.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:16 AM

26,406 posts, read 46,566,000 times
42-52N, but not a climate that has a high number of cloudy days. It always struck me as odd why Europeans preferred settling in portions of the US with a latitude that was so much lower than what they were used to. High UV is very bad.

Old 01-02-2012, 11:38 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times
I don't know why everyone seems to reject high UV's. Personally, I love a high sun and as far as sun angle is concerned, 0°N is perfect The light is brighter, more intense, everything looks shiny and no one forces you to lay down on the beach at noon if you're afraid of being sunburnt.

A high sun angle is very efficient against seasonal affective disorder, I can tell you

So, as CairoCanadian pointed out, the question can be understood in different ways.

Personally, best latitudes would be :

-For sun angle/UV : 0°N
-For daylight hours : 15°N for some variety
-For temperature : 0-10°N
-For rainfall and sunshine : around 20°N to avoid the perpetually wet equatorial climates and allow for marked wet and dry seasons instead

Old 01-02-2012, 11:49 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,651,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
I don't know why everyone seems to reject high UV's. Personally, I love a high sun and as far as sun angle is concerned, 0°N is perfect The light is brighter, more intense, everything looks shiny and no one forces you to lay down on the beach at noon if you're afraid of being sunburnt.

A high sun angle is very efficient against seasonal affective disorder, I can tell you

So, as CairoCanadian pointed out, the question can be understood in different ways.

-For rainfall and sunshine : around 20°N to avoid the perpetually wet equatorial climates and allow for marked wet and dry seasons instead
It's not just lying on the beach at noon though - would somebody like me with a northern European skin tone living in Singapore need to put on the factor 30 as part of everyday life, e.g. if I just wanted to go for a walk or sit out in a beer garden for an hour, or would I eventually get used to it? The idea of people having to be wary of the summer sun rather than enjoy it seems alien to me.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:14 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,666,364 times
Quote:

I like high uv index but would prefer around 15-25 latitude because of the variance in sunlight hours. Also like wet/dry season climates... I like rainfall around 500-1000mm for the vegetation, but the dry season would be a good assurance I will see sunshine.

I think people are also worried about melanoma.. which is a big deal.

Old 01-02-2012, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post
It's not just lying on the beach at noon though - would somebody like me with a northern European skin tone living in Singapore need to put on the factor 30 as part of everyday life, e.g. if I just wanted to go for a walk or sit out in a beer garden for an hour, or would I eventually get used to it? The idea of people having to be wary of the summer sun rather than enjoy it seems alien to me.
I guess once your skin darkens you will eventually get used to the high uv's. Just like the middle of summer you don''t feel the strength of the sun as much as in the beginning of summer because of the base tase.

But then again you're from London - uv indexes are not as high.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:22 PM

15,318 posts, read 17,217,577 times
Quote:

I'm personally not a fan of sunburn or increasing my risk of skin cancer. I can't enjoy the activities I'm into during the height of summer (golf, tennis, and hiking) partly due to the strong sun. You can be at risk of getting sunburn while living everyday life. You can't avoid sunburn just by not going to the beach.

Old 01-02-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
I'm personally not a fan of sunburn or increasing my risk of skin cancer. I can't enjoy the activities I'm into during the height of summer (golf, tennis, and hiking) partly due to the strong sun. You can be at risk of getting sunburn while living everyday life. You can't avoid sunburn just by not going to the beach.
I play tennis/golf almost everyday in the summer from may to sept and am unbothered by the sun... never get burned. But do get very dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather