U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:07 PM

28,615 posts, read 14,826,159 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Check out December 1989, another particularly frigid month, and I remember it. The avg high/low for Philly for the month was 33/18F. There were 16 days the temp failed to get above 32F.
Sounds cold for Philly.

37 days for my town on an average year. We've had only 4 this year. 20 days didn't go above freezing last January.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 03:11 PM

4,445 posts, read 4,765,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
NYC has had two week stretches of freezing weather? That seems rare even up in western mass which is much colder. I'd like to look this up.
I’d have to agree with you there…two weeks of freezing weather (meaning daily highs below 32 F/0 C) is a long shot in NYC and the rest of the Middle Atlantic States. January 1977 was one of the coldest January’s in 150 years in NYC. Last week NYC hit 62 F – lol. There are many sunny and 45 to 50 days in a normal winter in NYC.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007;22500040 [B
January 1977 was one of the coldest Januarys in 150 years in NYC[/b]. Last week NYC hit 62 F lol. There are many sunny and 45 to 50 days in a normal winter in NYC.
See this list:

http://205.156.54.206/er/okx/climate/records/warmcoldyearsmonths.html

January 2004 is the coldest in my memory, but January 1977 was a good amount colder. 2011 and 2010 both made it to the list of warmest years.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:37 PM

4,445 posts, read 4,765,486 times
Quote:
See this list:

http://205.156.54.206/er/okx/climate/records/warmcoldyearsmonths.html

January 2004 is the coldest in my memory, but January 1977 was a good amount colder. 2011 and 2010 both made it to the list of warmest years.
Yea, Jan 2004 was no wimp either in terms of cold. That record goes back to 1868 for Central Park. 1977 was the third coldest January in 144 years. Thank god nothing like that on the upper East Coast this winter.

Old 01-11-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Yea, Jan 2004 was no wimp either in terms of cold. That record goes back to 1868 for Central Park. 1977 was the third coldest January in 144 years. Thank god nothing like that on the upper East Coast this winter.
I think of NYC as the middle east coast more than upper — there's still of New England and the rest of New York State to the north. You seem to pay attention to the south more than I do.

Jan 2004's average in NYC was close to the average January for my town, to show how mild NYC is. But that's a bit deceiving, since the lows decrease more the highs do going north and inland, and I think most people feel the daytime temps more than the nights. So our average January has a high of about 35F but a low of 14F. A cold NYC month like Jan 2004 would likely have day temps colder than 35F.

looking month by month, both Nov 2011 and Dec 2011 made it to the list of warmest of months. Jan 2006 I mentioned earlier was the 3rd warmest. I'm wondering if this January will make it to the list. Has a good shot.

http://205.156.54.206/er/okx/climate/records/warmcoldmonths.html

Old 01-11-2012, 04:01 PM

6,021 posts, read 3,058,701 times
Quote:
I think of NYC as the middle east coast more than upper there's still of New England and the rest of New York State to the north. You seem to pay attention to the south more than I do.

Jan 2004's average in NYC was close to the average January for my town, to show how mild NYC is. But that's a bit deceiving, since the lows decrease more the highs do going north and inland, and I think most people feel the daytime temps more than the nights. So our average January has a high of about 35F but a low of 14F. A cold NYC month like Jan 2004 would likely have day temps colder than 35F.

looking month by month, both Nov 2011 and Dec 2011 made it to the list of warmest of months. Jan 2006 I mentioned earlier was the 3rd warmest. I'm wondering if this January will make it to the list. Has a good shot.

http://205.156.54.206/er/okx/climate...oldmonths.html
To me, the morning lows are what I feel the most in winter. I walk out the door from a warm house and it hits you hard. Then waiting for the bus or walking in those daily low temps. The lowest temps usually occur right around dawn. The high temps most of us are in offices in the afternoon(in big cities). Then at night going home you get the temps somewhere in between the high and low. But I most def watch out for what the morning lows are.

I also enjoy warm summer low temps. I don't like having to wear a light jacket or sweater in the summer. That would be a very rare occurance in Philly or New York, but looking at London summer low temps I would need a jacket. Not summer for me.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 PM
B87

3,156 posts, read 1,509,973 times
Quote:
I going to be in New York (State) next week. Is this cloudy enough for a British weather standards?

7-Day Forecast for Latitude 42.45N and Longitude 76.51W

Now that's real winter.
That's cloudier than anything we usually see.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:38 PM

56 posts, read 41,383 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
What are you talking about lol? There are 2 days there that I wouldn't call frigid.

10 Day Weather Forecast for New York - weather.com
Looks beautiful to me (the temps at least).

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
That’s the tough part about these comments = they are so perspective based.

If someone lived in Miami, Orlando, or Long Beach - NYC winters might seem like the Canadian subarctic in winter – lol. Yet, one who moves to NYC from Moscow, Montreal, or Harbin, might wonder what all the fuss is about. This even happens to me: I’m in/out of Florida very often. When I get back to the Tri-State area after 3 weeks in Florida - it seems like Antarctica at first. Then, after a few weeks, a 50 F day seems almost warm – lol. So I can see the perspective of facepalm17 – much of how you interpret climate is based on your perspectives.

I would agree that I wouldn’t go as far as saying NYC has “no real winter”…but on the other hand, an average NYC winter (or a mild one like this year) is pretty easy to take.
Indeed, I didn't mean anything else other than perspective, since there's no such thing as "objectively mild" any more than there's such a thing as "objectively short". To the average Westerner, Angus Young is short. To an ant, he is a giant. I knew a guy from Yellowknife who would laugh at us and say pretty much the same thing I did about NYC. Where I'm from, temperatures in the -30's Celsius are not unusual at all. Winters are widely variable though - you could get this or this, or maybe you could get this or this.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:10 PM

12 posts, read 2,116 times
I visited New York City three times... every time I go it's always sunny and it never rains :S
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather