Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 09:23 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times

Advertisements

There are ways to deal with the heat-and humid heat. When I'm in Hawaii, the trade winds always help keep the humidity at bay and it usually is never too hot (only 80sF all year, some 70sF here and there). But when it does get hot or if there is not much shade, I will take my shirt off and go barefoot. When I was in the Dominican Republic in summer 2011 (Club Med Punta Cana), I was shirtless and barefoot most of the time all over the resort. It felt great, especially with the sea breezes, even though it was so humid and the temperature was in the upper 90sF or maybe even 100F (there were bad heat waves in the East of the US during the time and so humid!). The ground didn't feel too hot at all, though, because of the moisture. One could never go barefoot comfortable during the same time of year in Phoenix because not only is the temperature higher, but it is so dry. And going shirtless in Phoenix can only be comfortable for so long.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2013, 10:55 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,826,851 times
I lived in a part of CA that would get to a be a 100 and then FL where it was humid but only in the 90s. Let me tell you even when it was in the 80s in FL it felt way worse then CA. The humidity is like a wall and makes you feel sticky/sweaty. It is like when you are in the bathroom with the hot shower running and door closed.

Old 12-24-2013, 11:00 PM

5,294 posts, read 10,208,375 times
Another big difference-often times in dry heat (Inland Empire, Coastal SoCal, rest of the West Coast) nights in summer cool down into the 60sF and sometimes even lower. This, coupled with cool Pacific breezes, usually keeps people relieved from even a strong heat wave. Places in the interior Desert Southwest (Palm Springs and Phoenix, for example, and even Las Vegas) remain from 70-85F at night, and sometimes hotter, during the summertime, offering no relief. Heck, Phoenix has warmer nights than most of the Southeast, maybe with exception of Key West.

Old 10-04-2014, 09:34 PM

3,749 posts, read 4,966,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Another big difference-often times in dry heat (Inland Empire, Coastal SoCal, rest of the West Coast) nights in summer cool down into the 60sF and sometimes even lower. This, coupled with cool Pacific breezes, usually keeps people relieved from even a strong heat wave. Places in the interior Desert Southwest (Palm Springs and Phoenix, for example, and even Las Vegas) remain from 70-85F at night, and sometimes hotter, during the summertime, offering no relief. Heck, Phoenix has warmer nights than most of the Southeast, maybe with exception of Key West.
Yeah I think that's one thing people don't realize how Phoenix and Vegas. It does NOT cool down at night. Phoenix can get surprisingly humid too, dewpoints can reach the 70s F.

Old 10-04-2014, 11:02 PM

11,655 posts, read 12,953,701 times
Right now it's 33C (real feel is 30C) and the humidity is 16%.

It still doesn't feel too comfortable...

Old 10-05-2014, 01:38 AM

284 posts, read 282,849 times
In Melbourne it takes temps of maybe 43C or so for me to feel as uncomfortable as about 33C in QLD under far higher dewpoints.
I end up sweating far more though in the 33C temp, and remain relatively dry in the 43C temp unless somewhere with no airflow at all.

Old 02-28-2015, 05:34 AM

4,658 posts, read 3,656,725 times
For indoors 22-23C with 40-50 % feels on the WARM side but the same temp same AC breeze but around 70% feels COOLISH - even 100% humidity with same temp and no/little breeze feels cool. weird how it works?

Old 02-28-2015, 05:47 AM

2,257 posts, read 1,990,577 times
I 've experienced both in every single summer here in Greece. I think humid heat is worse I was sweating more in humid heat and it was difficult for the lungs too. But dry heat has a feeling that you arre in an oven! Both are terrible. Also humid cold is worse than dry cold!

Old 02-28-2015, 09:33 AM

3,212 posts, read 3,175,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii4evr View Post
Yes; A day over 100 F usually has a night time low around 65 F and many nights in the valleys drop down into the 50s, even in mid-summer. Therefore the summer average temperatures in the L.A. valleys are actually lower than most of the U.S. when you factor in the nighttime lows. I like the benefit of cool nights meaning that you can open a window in leau of turning on the AC but I also enjoy the humid thunderstorms in climates that have less diurnal range and the fact that you can still go swimming at midnight. In L.A, late night swims only go hand in hand with heat waves.

Old 02-28-2015, 11:55 AM

12,278 posts, read 9,452,795 times
Dry heat is the most unpleasant weather condition! I hate when there is 30F or more between the temperature and dewpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather