U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
 
Old 01-14-2012, 07:44 AM
 
701 posts, read 538,713 times
Reputation: 451

Advertisements

I thought id start this thread as I was shocked at how cool NYCs (form the data in the sunshine thread) hottest month was (81f) versus Moscows hottest of 78f.

In terms of mean temp or mean max where has recorded the warmest month in Your country?

Some examples

Hottest Location In Republic of Ireland was Shannon, although Oak park in Carlow and Kilkenny were warmer by day. (all in July 1995)

Shannon
Mean High: 24.2c/75.6f
Mean Low: 14.8c/58.6f
Mean: 19.5c/67.1f

Carlow, Oak Park
Mean High: 25.7c/78.3f
Mean Low: 12.2c/54.0f
Mean: 19.0c/66.2f

Kilkenny
Mean High: 25.4c/77.7f
Mean Low: 12.4c/54.3f
Mean: 18.9c/66.0f

and Dublin Merrion Square (by virtue of high urban heat island minimums)
Mean High: 22.1c/71.8f
Mean Low: 15.7c/60.3f
Mean: 18.9c/66.0f
http://www.met.ie/climate/monthlyBulletins/aug95.pdf


Highest in the UK was July 2006 at London weather Centre, although Heathrow Cambridge averaged a higher mean maximum

London weather centre
Mean High: 27.9c/82.2f
Mean Low: 17.8c/64.0f
Mean: 22.9c/73.2f
CLIMATE London Weather Centre - Historical July 2006 - Weather

Heathrow
Mean High: 28.2c/82.8f
Mean Low: 16.7c/62.1f
Mean: 22.5c/72.5f
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/climate/...athrowdata.txt

Cambridge
Mean High: 28.3c/82.9f
Mean Low: 14.5c/58.1f
Mean: 21.4c/70.5f
Anomaly details
Anomaly details


Highest in Germany, as far as im aware was Karlsruhe, again in July 2006

Karlsruhe
Mean High: 32.1c/89.8f
Mean Low: 18.2c/64.8f
Mean: 25.2c/77.4f
Anomaly details
Anomaly details
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 01-14-2012, 08:23 AM
 
Location: France
4,731 posts, read 2,031,208 times
Reputation: 2042
For Paris-Orly airport, it's July 2006 too.

Average high: 30.5C/86.9F
Average low: 17.9C/64.2F
Highest high: 36.7C/98.1F
Lowest low: 15C/59F

No low below 15C/59F and no high below 25C/77F.

History : Weather Underground



For France as a whole I think it was August 2003. It was cooler in northern France, including Paris (30.3C/17.5C) but warmer in southern France.

The highest average max was in Carpentras (Le Luc is usually warmer but it was down on a few days that month).

Average high: 37.1C/98.8F
Average low: 18.4C/65.1F
Highest high: 41.8C/107.2F
Lowest low: 14.3C/57.7F

Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Carpentras

While days are hot in interior Provence, nights are fairly cool compared to the coast. Maybe dhdh knows which location is on average the warmest.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 09:13 AM
 
701 posts, read 538,713 times
Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post

The highest average max was in Carpentras (Le Luc is usually warmer but it was down on a few days that month).

Average high: 37.1C/98.8F
Average low: 18.4C/65.1F
Highest high: 41.8C/107.2F
Lowest low: 14.3C/57.7F

Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Carpentras

While days are hot in interior Provence, nights are fairly cool compared to the coast. Maybe dhdh knows which location is on average the warmest.
Very impressive, thats the stuff im talking about
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 09:29 AM
 
Location: Buenos Aires, Argentina
5,003 posts, read 3,528,858 times
Reputation: 3134
where could i find record month for BA?
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 09:35 AM
 
701 posts, read 538,713 times
Reputation: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
where could i find record month for BA?
tutiempo or similar? Might not be perfect, but probably a good indication.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 09:36 AM
 
Location: The western periphery of Terra Australis
24,691 posts, read 19,680,978 times
Reputation: 11862
I'd probably have to request the data from the BOM.

From memory - which is unreliable - some summers have had months with average highs of at least 35C (95F). Heatwaves can seem to last weeks here. My guess is the warmest average low for a summer month is at least 20C (68F). I guess the mean would be at least 26-27C (about 80F) in Perth. Perth's average summer temperatures aren't as hot as you'd think, but it gets very hot most years.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 09:56 AM
 
Location: France
4,731 posts, read 2,031,208 times
Reputation: 2042
After a little more browsing it seems Nmes takes the cake with 28.5C on both August 2003 and July 2006. Its days are cooler and nights warmer than Carpentras.

August 2003
Average high: 35.9C/96.6F
Average: 28.5C/83.3F
Average low: 21C/69.8F

July 2006
Average high: 35.4C/95.7F
Average: 28.5C/83.3F
Average low: 21.4C/70.5F

Carpentras still has the highest monthly average high (37.1C/98.8F).

Apparently the warmest average low was in Menton (on the Riviera east of Nice), in August 2003 too with 24.8C/76.6F. The highest low that month there was 30.3C/86.5F.



Oops, forgot Corsica. Then Cap Corse is the warmest, both average and lows. This one is on the sticky side and must be the most incomfortable of the bunch.

August 2003
Average high: 32.5C/90.5F
Average: 29.1C/84.4F
Average low: 25.7C/78.3F

Last edited by Rozenn; 01-14-2012 at 10:25 AM..
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 11:26 AM
 
Location: Paris
2,356 posts, read 1,814,337 times
Reputation: 1210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rozenn View Post
After a little more browsing it seems Nmes takes the cake with 28.5C on both August 2003 and July 2006. Its days are cooler and nights warmer than Carpentras.

August 2003
Average high: 35.9C/96.6F
Average: 28.5C/83.3F
Average low: 21C/69.8F

July 2006
Average high: 35.4C/95.7F
Average: 28.5C/83.3F
Average low: 21.4C/70.5F

Carpentras still has the highest monthly average high (37.1C/98.8F).

Apparently the warmest average low was in Menton (on the Riviera east of Nice), in August 2003 too with 24.8C/76.6F. The highest low that month there was 30.3C/86.5F.



Oops, forgot Corsica. Then Cap Corse is the warmest, both average and lows. This one is on the sticky side and must be the most incomfortable of the bunch.

August 2003
Average high: 32.5C/90.5F
Average: 29.1C/84.4F
Average low: 25.7C/78.3F
Great job!

I thought about Cap Ferrat on the Rivieria for highest lows, but at 24.6C it's slightly cooler than Menton. Did you check Monaco? (Though it's hard to find data) - its lows are usually on par with Menton's and might have been even higher in 2003 !

By the way, where did you find daily data for Menton ? Can't find it on Meteociel and I'd be interested to see exact winter temps there as it is said to be the mildest city in the whole country

I am impressed by the 30.3C low, that has the be the highest low ever in France

Funny thing, I just realized that August 2003 in Nice was in fact not warmer than a typical February in Singapore
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 12:00 PM
 
Location: Perth, Western Australia
2,883 posts, read 1,518,213 times
Reputation: 1863
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
I'd probably have to request the data from the BOM.

From memory - which is unreliable - some summers have had months with average highs of at least 35C (95F). Heatwaves can seem to last weeks here. My guess is the warmest average low for a summer month is at least 20C (68F). I guess the mean would be at least 26-27C (about 80F) in Perth. Perth's average summer temperatures aren't as hot as you'd think, but it gets very hot most years.
They have information in Climate Data Online:

Daily Maximum Temperature - 009034 - Bureau of Meteorology

Pretty close to the mark Trimac20, our warmest recorded month according to BoM was February 1985. The usual average for February is about 31C/88F, and the hottest recorded day in Perth was back in February 1992 with 46.2C/115.2F.


Perth (February 1985)
Average Maximum: 35.1C/95.2F
Average Minimum: 22.7C/72.8F
Daily Mean: 28.9C/84.0F
Highest Temperature: 43.7C/110.7F
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 01-14-2012, 12:33 PM
 
Location: France
4,731 posts, read 2,031,208 times
Reputation: 2042
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Great job!

I thought about Cap Ferrat on the Rivieria for highest lows, but at 24.6C it's slightly cooler than Menton. Did you check Monaco? (Though it's hard to find data) - its lows are usually on par with Menton's and might have been even higher in 2003 !

By the way, where did you find daily data for Menton ? Can't find it on Meteociel and I'd be interested to see exact winter temps there as it is said to be the mildest city in the whole country

I am impressed by the 30.3C low, that has the be the highest low ever in France

Funny thing, I just realized that August 2003 in Nice was in fact not warmer than a typical February in Singapore
I didn't check Monaco. Though like you said it's hard to find data unless you're willing to pay. For Menton sorry I don't have access to Meteo France data, I just read that on a weather forum from someone that pays for it, that's why I said "apparently". I would be interested in it too.
However on the same website you have a databank. Here are the highest minimums for each location in summer 2003 (you have Menton's 30.3C low in first line):

HistorIC - Canicule de 2003 - Infoclimat
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top