Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-25-2012, 11:15 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
Coldest I have experienced was −41.7 °C (−43 °F) on February 5, 2007.

coldest windchill I experienced was -57.1°C
wow thats pretty cold!

worse i experienced was the entire january and first week of february in minneapolis in 2001. Thats gotta be cold! waaay colder than anything i could find in argentina or in the souther hemisphere of the world. Dont remember the exact numbers, though, it was so long ago!

I dont remember it as being THAT cold, i remember some of the sunny days were nice. But of course memory might be tricking me into thinking it wasnt as terrible. Anyways, i know it wasnt not near as terrible as summer in Buenos Aires, thats for sure!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2012, 11:32 PM

6,908 posts, read 7,663,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
wow thats pretty cold!

worse i experienced was the entire january and first week of february in minneapolis in 2001. Thats gotta be cold! waaay colder than anything i could find in argentina or in the souther hemisphere of the world. Dont remember the exact numbers, though, it was so long ago!

I dont remember it as being THAT cold, i remember some of the sunny days were nice. But of course memory might be tricking me into thinking it wasnt as terrible. Anyways, i know it wasnt not near as terrible as summer in Buenos Aires, thats for sure!
Yup very cold, that day when the windchill was -57c the high temperature was -35c. Cannot even go outside when it is that cold, unless you want frostbite that is.

I like Minneapolis, such a nice city compared to mine. Quite a bit warmer too with a average high of -4.6c in January compared to -12.7c in Winnipeg. Did you go the the falls there by that picnic shelter?

By the looks of it the time period you were there it was average high -3c average low -11c.

History | Weather Underground

Old 05-26-2012, 08:11 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,065,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A logarithmic chart would make things more spread out for people in the middle rather than an extreme. The distance from 2 to 4 would be the same 4 to 8 or 8 to 16. Agree a log scale is unnecessary though I doubt it was suggested seriously.
Sorry, my knowledge of mathematics is virtually nonexistent! I was thinking in terms of compressing the axes, but that doesn't solve the clustering problem (in fact, it exacerbates it), it only brings the clusters closer together.

Old 05-26-2012, 07:58 PM

5,874 posts, read 10,522,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superduy View Post
Yup very cold, that day when the windchill was -57c the high temperature was -35c. Cannot even go outside when it is that cold, unless you want frostbite that is.

I like Minneapolis, such a nice city compared to mine. Quite a bit warmer too with a average high of -4.6c in January compared to -12.7c in Winnipeg. Did you go the the falls there by that picnic shelter?

By the looks of it the time period you were there it was average high -3c average low -11c.

History | Weather Underground

Thanks for the data!

I see when i was there there were quite a few sunny days and a couple of -20s!! cool!! In my mind the cold wasnt that terrible. I mean, i remember feeling cold, but it didnt stick in my mind as some terrible experience. When im old im not gonna be remembering the days in Minn or some days in some other cold place as such an awful experience, but i will sure be remembering the hellish summers spent in BA.

I guess im just more of a cold shaped type of person.

Old 05-27-2012, 04:41 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
Thanks for the data!

I see when i was there there were quite a few sunny days and a couple of -20s!! cool!! In my mind the cold wasnt that terrible. I mean, i remember feeling cold, but it didnt stick in my mind as some terrible experience. When im old im not gonna be remembering the days in Minn or some days in some other cold place as such an awful experience, but i will sure be remembering the hellish summers spent in BA.

I guess im just more of a cold shaped type of person.
Interesting. -20's Celsius don't strike me as an awful experience, either, though to some people (the move to Florida types) they do. I find such conditions quite enjoyable and great to have for my winter average. As long as one dresses properly there will be no problem with cold at all. It's a bit surprising that you, a mild climate person, would tolerate such cold so well, even if you don't like it to be featured in your climates.

In all fairness, though, your experience wasn't all that cold. A relative of mine that is cold-averse, though still a fan of winter and snow, says that -20C to -30C isn't that bad, but it's at about -30C or below when it gets rough for her. I don't know how you would react to colder conditions, but you're already doing better than many Midwesterners .

Old 05-27-2012, 05:55 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,555,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Interesting. -20's Celsius don't strike me as an awful experience, either, though to some people (the move to Florida types) they do. I find such conditions quite enjoyable and great to have for my winter average. As long as one dresses properly there will be no problem with cold at all. It's a bit surprising that you, a mild climate person, would tolerate such cold so well, even if you don't like it to be featured in your climates.

In all fairness, though, your experience wasn't all that cold. A relative of mine that is cold-averse, though still a fan of winter and snow, says that -20C to -30C isn't that bad, but it's at about -30C or below when it gets rough for her. I don't know how you would react to colder conditions, but you're already doing better than many Midwesterners .
Temperatures are not as essential as one might think when it comes to cold.

I once spent a week skiing in Cervinia, Italy. The following link (sorry that it is in French) shows the daily weather data of when I was there (9 to 15 Feb 2008 inclusive) :
Meteociel - Climatologie mensuelle de Pian Rosa (It)

More precisely, that is Pian Rosa, one of the highest peaks in the area (at 3400m asl), and the starting point of every downhill, so I went through that place many times a day.

As you can see, the weather was fairly cold, even by your standards, with maxes not exceeding -6°C on that week and sometimes as low as -10°C.

As surprising as it sounds, I didn't suffer from the cold on that week (though the wind chill was pretty bad when I was actually skiing and going fast, but that's obvious, and a different story - I'm talking about walking in -10°C weather, standing there waiting for people, making a phone call, adjusting equipment, etc.) - it was windless and sunny and honestly that didn't feel bad at all. Of course that isn't something I would like in my climate, but it was far from being horrible; I had no problems tolerating those colder-than-Moscow-temps for a whole week;

Now I have some horrific memories of St. Petersburg in early November, and even though it was above 0°C I never felt so cold in my entire life. One day I left my hotel to visit the city, it was a "balmy" 8°C and calm. Alright. In the afternoon a cold front crossed and it started raining hard with strong winds temps dropping to around 3°C. I was soaked and underdressed and honestly the wind made the whole weather-experience feel like a torture (especially that I couldn't stay long in St. Petersburg, so I wanted to visit the city, not shelter inside, so I kept walking outside for a few more hours).
That is why to me nothing feels worse than rainy, cold, windy conditions as described above.
You will now understand why my "nightmare climate" features that type of weather repeated forever, instead of -20°C temps.

I would take Pian Rosa's -10°C sunny maxes any time over a cold rainy day in Paris.

Actually, I think I could rate quite highly (perhaps around C) a continental climate with very sunny winters, hot summers and a very quick warmup in spring; with as little time as possible in the 0-7°C zone.

That's why I believe temps are far from being the only factor when it comes to cold. Wind, precipitation and sunshine are essential as well.
(My secondary point was that even some of the "move to Florida type" as you said, can deal with single digit F's)

Old 05-27-2012, 06:12 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,994,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
That's why I believe temps are far from being the only factor when it comes to cold. Wind, precipitation and sunshine are essential as well.
(My secondary point was that even some of the "move to Florida type" as you said, can deal with single digit F's)
Sun, wind, and wetness are big factors, but my point still stands. There is a much bigger gulf between 8C and -20C than 8C and -10C, and cold tolerance comes more to the fore in the former situation than the latter. Also, wetness as opposed to just cold plays a larger role in 8C with wind-driven rain.

As for some of the move to Florida types, most of which seem to live in the warmer Great Lakes areas, those types may be fine in a calm morning in the singles Fahrenheit, but what I'm referring to, which is -20C to -30C, is probably a different story.

As for your nightmare climate, I can believe that when everything is taken into account, 5C with wind-driven rain can be more miserable than -25C with sunshine (because of the wetness factor plus whatever cold there is). I was more under the impression that your nightmare climate was based on it feeling really cold, but without the advantage of having deep snow versus rain and mud.

Old 02-17-2013, 02:17 PM

2,617 posts, read 3,452,693 times
Perhaps I prefer this combination:
Winter: -5
Summer: -2

Old 02-17-2013, 03:13 PM

3,990 posts, read 3,396,175 times
-4/-4

Old 02-18-2013, 09:24 AM

1,244 posts, read 1,294,983 times
Winter -8 Summer -6. I am in the lower right for tempratures. 1 for sunshine and 2 for precip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather