Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-30-2012, 03:48 PM

20,652 posts, read 23,835,884 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I found a difference of 9C between high temperatures at Leeds Bradford Airport for two consecutive days (7C and -2C).. not sure if any others that large have occurred.
On 25th december 2010 castlederg had a min of -15.4c and by the time it was midnight temps had reached 3c. That was a big rise. But i've read on other weather forums that places like altnaharra have seen temperatures rise from -20c to like -1c in the same day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2012, 04:04 PM

5,586 posts, read 10,625,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by owenc View Post
It really is though. Places like maine stay below freezing for most of the winter and only go above freezing the odd time. Call me a liar but the jetstream does not go up and down there as much as it does in the BI.

The temperature here is up and down like a rocket all the time.

For example on the 23rd of december 2010 i had a high of -9c and on the 29th of december i had a high of 11c.
December 2010 in NI was unique though and might never happen again.

Here's a winter month from Caribou, Maine picked at random (February 2009):
History | Weather Underground

You can see that within the first 11 days you have a high of -10C followed by a high of -1C, a high of 3C followed by a high of -11C and a high of -8C followed by a high of 4C. One of those days had a diurnal range of 20C, three more with a range of 15C or more. If you can find me that level of repeated wild temperature fluctuations within a short space of time in this country then you have a point.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:07 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,893,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ben86 View Post

You can see that within the first 11 days you have a high of -10C followed by a high of -1C, a high of 3C followed by a high of -11C and a high of -8C followed by a high of 4C. One of those days had a diurnal range of 20C, three more with a range of 15C or more. If you can find me that level of repeated wild temperature fluctuations within a short space of time in this country then you have a point.

You're right. I doubt very much that UK winters have as high a std deviation of temps as the Central and Eastern US. Summer I'm not too sure about though. Temps are pretty consistent in summer here.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:18 PM

209 posts, read 303,654 times
I hate when people say "90 degrees with 90% humidity." That would put the heat index at 122, which isn't something that happens too often in the Mid-Atlantic states.

Old 07-30-2012, 04:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,009 posts, read 53,337,635 times
Quote:

You picked one of the coldest low elevation weather station in New England. Only one month off from an exceptonal month. Check out the stats of Jan 2009, one of the colder winter months in recent years. Also:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/car/News_Ite...10_item001.htm

Old 07-30-2012, 05:18 PM

25,024 posts, read 27,879,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
The inland Atacama is very sunny, and has latitudes as low as 18S. Rainfall is effectively nil.
Yes, which is such a place covered under the exceptions I made. The tropical Atacama is like Somalia. In the deep tropics, but still a desert. But, places like the Atacama, Somalia, and Australia's Outback are more the exception and not the rule. So many people that were born and raised in the D and C climate zones often have unrealistic expectations and perceptions of tropical (tropical for this purpose are A climates) zones. Like, so many people think tropical places are like Phoenix with minimal rainfall, maximum sunshine and high average temperatures throughout the year with complete sunny blue skies. The temperature part is accurate, but not the precipitation and sunshine hour regime.

Old 07-31-2012, 01:36 AM

5,586 posts, read 10,625,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You picked one of the coldest low elevation weather station in New England. Only one month off from an exceptonal month. Check out the stats of Jan 2009, one of the colder winter months in recent years. Also:

NOAA's NWS Forecast Office—Caribou, Maine—
Record lows, not bad indeed! January 09 was a REAL winter month, it seems - consecutive highs of -1C and then -20C = no thanks!

Old 07-31-2012, 04:01 AM

5,580 posts, read 7,982,796 times
Quote:
I just have to laugh at that. Of course it will happen again at some point, and there is nothing preventing it from happening, though the vast majority of the time it doesn't occur. People said the same thing about the 1974 Super Outbreak, a "once in 300 year event", and then just 40 years later it recurred (in fact the 2011 Super Outbreak was slightly worse IMO due to it lasting longer). Ditto for all the other events that have been deemed once in a lifetime occurrences. When it comes to winter weather I've seen "once in a lifetime" and "once in 50 year" events recur the following year or even later in the same winter!

As for the standard deviation of British winters, you're right. The variation is very low. If Britain had the sort of standard deviation a continental climate had December 2010 would be a garden-variety cold month instead of something so extreme.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:37 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,344,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Brisbane felt spring-like compared to Perth when I visited in February 2012.

Even the sun felt only half the strength it would in Perth
though they only recorded 3 hours of sun in the two days I was there.

There was a marked difference in perceived solar exposure too;
very few people looked tanned or sunburnt compared to WA in February
despite being closer to the equator...
ditto for Townsville in February, oddly enough.

Yep, and my first day there was fully overcast and rainy.
It briefly rose to 23 C/74 F before falling back to 21 C at 3pm.
I never removed my hooded sweatshirt that day.

Second day we had a brief maximum of 29 C and maybe 55% humidity,
but the bulk of the afternoon was about 25 C with 60-70%ish humidity
and intermittent sunny breaks through otherwise overcast skies.
Overnight low of 20 C as well, so bang-on seasonal.
Still felt Spring-like compared to Perth imho.
Funnily enough when I visited Brisbane for a week over an Australia Day long weekend a few years ago, a friend mentioned that was the last decent "hot" spell before La Nina set in. Temperatures exceeded 31C daily with around 95 -100% humidity and having the sun beat down strongly made for very uncomfortable conditions indeed. I recall him having three fans going 24/7 inside his apartment and also outside as there was very little wind. Also bear in mind you came here during an exceptionally strong wet and cloudy La Nina period. Brisbane is much more humid than Perth, there simply is no comparing those two cities.

Old 07-31-2012, 06:54 AM

1,155 posts, read 1,949,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Funnily enough when I visited Brisbane for a week over an Australia Day long weekend a few years ago, a friend mentioned that was the last decent "hot" spell before La Nina set in. Temperatures exceeded 31C daily with around 95 -100% humidity
bullcrap... there has been no instance of 30-31C dewpoints in Brisbane.

Quote:
and having the sun beat down strongly made for very uncomfortable conditions indeed. I recall him having three fans going 24/7 inside his apartment and also outside as there was very little wind. Also bear in mind you came here during an exceptionally strong wet and cloudy La Nina period. Brisbane is much more humid than Perth, there simply is no comparing those two cities.
Nothing like La Nina to ruin our already short and cold summers. Hope the ***** fades away and BRING NACK EL NINO !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather