U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 08:01 PM

21,369 posts, read 26,573,898 times

Advertisements

It does not annoy me but a frequent one is that all of Scandinavia is freezing cold and very snowy in the winter. Much of the region is like this but many of the larger cities like Stockholm and Copenhagen are more cool than super cold. The entire west coast of Norway which comprises a good chunk of the population of that country is generally cool and rainy and not very snowy at all in winter. (Though their summers kind of suck.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 08:55 PM

24,683 posts, read 44,381,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Am I the only one who is frequently irritated when people talk about weather and they come up with totally exaggerated statements or huge misconceptions?
What are the most frequent ones in your country/relatives/friends?

For me, in no particular order :

"Mexico is a huge desert where it's 40C all year and there is not a single tree except scattered cacti; plus pollution for Mexico City"
Sorry, but Mexico City's spring is barely warmer than London's summer, and its summer is cooler; it receives more rain than London over the year as well

"In South America, it's always hot and humid, everywhere"
Sorry, but several S.American capitals are cool the whole year (Bogota, La Paz, Quito), and the continent's southern half is temperate...

"It's always cold in Canada/Russia/Alaska" (depending on people)
Sorry, but each of these areas, except for their northernmost part, have warm summers, even Siberia (Yakustk, 25C!) and Alaska (Fairbanks, 23C)

China is rather "a warm country"
Sorry, but Chinese winters can range from -30C nights in Harbin to 20C days in Hong Kong/25C on Hainan Island

"New Zealand is a warm subtropical/tropical country" (this one is incredibly common)
Sorry, but New Zealand is very temperate, and most of the time under 25C

About whichever continental climate : "man, it's -30C in winter and +40C in summer there" - this one is especially irritating
(Most of the time, that's more extreme than the place's record temps either way.)

Any more?
There's tons:

Here's my thread from awhile ago - Which world cities are thought of as hotter/colder, wetter/drier than they are?

Old 01-18-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Am I the only one who is frequently irritated when people talk about weather and they come up with totally exaggerated statements or huge misconceptions?
What are the most frequent ones in your country/relatives/friends?

For me, in no particular order :

"Mexico is a huge desert where it's 40C all year and there is not a single tree except scattered cacti; plus pollution for Mexico City"
Sorry, but Mexico City's spring is barely warmer than London's summer, and its summer is cooler; it receives more rain than London over the year as well

"In South America, it's always hot and humid, everywhere"
Sorry, but several S.American capitals are cool the whole year (Bogota, La Paz, Quito), and the continent's southern half is temperate...

"It's always cold in Canada/Russia/Alaska" (depending on people)
Sorry, but each of these areas, except for their northernmost part, have warm summers, even Siberia (Yakustk, 25C!) and Alaska (Fairbanks, 23C)

China is rather "a warm country"
Sorry, but Chinese winters can range from -30C nights in Harbin to 20C days in Hong Kong/25C on Hainan Island

"New Zealand is a warm subtropical/tropical country" (this one is incredibly common)
Sorry, but New Zealand is very temperate, and most of the time under 25C

About whichever continental climate : "man, it's -30C in winter and +40C in summer there" - this one is especially irritating
(Most of the time, that's more extreme than the place's record temps either way.)

Any more?
China is mostly thought of as being temperate, with hot summers and cold winters. It's seen as very four seasonal thanks to Chinese films.

People think Mexico is all desert, but parts of it are pretty mild and wet.

I think most Australians see NZ as being cold. It's more mild-cool.

Also, there's a stereotype that in the desert days are scorching hot but nights are freezing. This happens sometimes, especially between winter and summer, but in the lowland deserts summer nights are VERY hot and in winter days can get cold.

Old 01-18-2012, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Chicago, Illinois would have to be in the running, with the nonexistent "harsh/brutal/frigid winters" and the fictitious preparedness they have for snowstorms (see the Groundhog Day Blizzard and Lakeshore Drive for the truth exposed). The entire northern U.S. is exaggerated, but not quite to that degree. If you want cold winters and snow preparedness, Minnesota is your state, not Illinois (better yet Manitoba if you want harsh winters).
Chicago winters are brutal to most people, especially those from warm or mild climates. To me Chicago winters sound brutal, unless you're comparing them with Minneapolis.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:28 PM

22,234 posts, read 23,096,155 times
It's always raining and foggy in London, even though London is one of the driest capitals in Europe and is definitely nowhere near the foggiest - the foggiest is Milan, and the wettest is Podgorica.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:36 PM

5,901 posts, read 8,200,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
It's always raining and foggy in London, even though London is one of the driest capitals in Europe and is definitely nowhere near the foggiest - the foggiest is Milan, and the wettest is Podgorica.

I thought that about London until very recently i was surprised to know that it rains less than in Buenos Aires. I though it rained all the time like Vancouver, lol

Old 01-18-2012, 10:45 PM

933 posts, read 1,681,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It does not annoy me but a frequent one is that all of Scandinavia is freezing cold and very snowy in the winter. Much of the region is like this but many of the larger cities like Stockholm and Copenhagen are more cool than super cold. The entire west coast of Norway which comprises a good chunk of the population of that country is generally cool and rainy and not very snowy at all in winter. (Though their summers kind of suck.)

I always thought Scandinavia is relatively warm like the rest of Europe, because of the Gulf stream. I was surprised to learn recently that Scandinavia can actually have cold winters.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
I thought that about London until very recently i was surprised to know that it rains less than in Buenos Aires. I though it rained all the time like Vancouver, lol
Nah, but it definitely does rain all the time in Vancouver.

Old 01-18-2012, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaul View Post
I always thought Scandinavia is relatively warm like the rest of Europe, because of the Gulf stream. I was surprised to learn recently that Scandinavia can actually have cold winters.
Yup, it's very cold in parts. Stockholm is moderated by the ocean but is still cold, it had 5 months of continuous snow cover in the winter of 2010/2011 and 60cm of snow.

Temperatures fell to -51 in Norway too..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ruary_2003.jpg

Brr!

Old 01-18-2012, 10:54 PM

5,901 posts, read 8,200,098 times
before citydata i thought there couldnt possibly be a hotter climate than BA in the summer in USA, lol, i was so so wrong.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or