U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 01:39 AM
B87

10,996 posts, read 7,233,651 times

Advertisements

As has been said, everyone seems to think London is always cold, windy, rainy, foggy. It isn't that cold compared to most American or European cities, it's not as windy as most American or European cities, it's one of the driest cities in Europe with fewer rainy days than pretty much every city in northern Europe, and it's hardly ever foggy (maybe 1 week per year).

The only bad point is the sunshine, but it isn't that bad. Summers are usually sunny and winters are dull but at least have sun on most days, unlike the PNW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 02:57 AM

5,025 posts, read 6,462,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
As has been said, everyone seems to think London is always cold, windy, rainy, foggy. It isn't that cold compared to most American or European cities, it's not as windy as most American or European cities, it's one of the driest cities in Europe with fewer rainy days than pretty much every city in northern Europe, and it's hardly ever foggy (maybe 1 week per year).

The only bad point is the sunshine, but it isn't that bad. Summers are usually sunny and winters are dull but at least have sun on most days, unlike the PNW.
There's one point you can't refute (re London vs. PNW)- the sunshine. The facts speak for themselves, and don't need to be repeated yet again here. However, just to make it really clear - on 1971-2000 averages Heathrow's brightest month gets about 47% of the possible sun, and the dullest 20-21%. Seattle is way ahead of that.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:11 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,096,155 times
But London does not have a terrible climate like people make out.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:13 AM

24,683 posts, read 44,381,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
before citydata i thought there couldnt possibly be a hotter climate than BA in the summer in USA, lol, i was so so wrong.
You must not have read much about climate if you think BA is so hot. BA is a bit warmer than Sydney but I wouldn't describe summers there as hot by world standards at all.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:30 AM

21,369 posts, read 26,573,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yup, it's very cold in parts. Stockholm is moderated by the ocean but is still cold, it had 5 months of continuous snow cover in the winter of 2010/2011 and 60cm of snow.

Temperatures fell to -51 in Norway too..

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...ruary_2003.jpg

Brr!
In Canada, Scandinavia is generally thought as having a climate very similar to ours, but it is generally warmer that we are in winter. Or at least its major cities on average have warmer winters than most Canadian ones do.

Stockholm is slightly warmer in winter than Toronto for example, and Copenhagen is not really much colder than Vancouver, the Canadian winter outlier.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:19 AM
B87

10,996 posts, read 7,233,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
There's one point you can't refute (re London vs. PNW)- the sunshine. The facts speak for themselves, and don't need to be repeated yet again here. However, just to make it really clear - on 1971-2000 averages Heathrow's brightest month gets about 47% of the possible sun, and the dullest 20-21%. Seattle is way ahead of that.
I know the PNW gets more sunshine, but they also get more overcast days. We at least get days with a few hours of sun rather than 20 days in a row with nothing. The longest I've gone without seeing the sun is about 5 days.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:21 AM

7,031 posts, read 8,643,977 times
Having lived in SE England just west of Heathrow I'd say it's a pretty good climate. I remember it had proper summers (for the UK anyway) which were warm and rained only every now and again due to thunderstorms; summers were generally very dry. Sometimes it wouldn't rain for a hole month at a time and the grass would die. Buxton is like a NW Norwegian climate in comparison. I also choose London over Seattle since it gets far more interesting weather like thunderstorms (which Seattle doesn't), and far less rain. Seattle gets all its rain and cloud from October - April, depressing rows of overcast days all season long. At least it's better distributed in London, where there is only about 22 inches a year anyway.

When I lived down there I had heard the stereotypes about "gloomy, rainy, cold" London and frankly 90% of the year I wondered which London they were talking about....certainly didn't fit my impression of SE England's climate.

Old 01-19-2012, 05:46 AM

56 posts, read 87,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
I'm not sure if international sunshine comparisons are all that valid, since it may be measured differently. For example, the US statistics tend to be higher than the Canadian statistics. Check out the sunshine differences between Sault Ste. Marie, MI and Sault Ste. Marie, ON:

Sault Ste. Marie, Michigan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There's a ~300 hour difference.

Windsor (Windsor, Ontario - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) and Detroit (Detroit - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), nearly 200 hours difference.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:05 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,040,474 times
The most basic one is not a lie so much as an oversimplification: hot is south, north is cold ( and vice-versa for the southern hemisphere ). Most people don't really have a grasp on how drastically different climates can be on a given lattitude.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:09 AM

22,234 posts, read 23,096,155 times
Here in the UK, it's more to do with elevation then latitude.. at high elevations, it's difficult to achieve very cold nighttime temperatures due to no cold pooling. Southern England will often feature as the coldest place in the UK occasionally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or