U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 06:39 AM

5,595 posts, read 6,234,579 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Most people don't really have a grasp on how drastically different climates can be on a given lattitude.
That's true, and it's a fascinating phenomenon. For instance some sites in Labrador that are just a hair warmer than the tundra threshold exist at the same latitude as parts of England where it hardly snows at all in the Winter. Similarly, many of the same people who would consider Fairbanks to be deathly-cold think the climate of Northern Sweden is good, which is at the same latitude. There is also the case of northern New Zealand, which at its average latitude of 35-40 degrees South, is far cooler than one might expect for a Northern hemisphere climate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 AM

5,822 posts, read 9,991,474 times
My family in southern Brittany when I was a kid : "what a privileged, balmy Gulf Stream Weather here, there's no better climate on earth". Got early on my nerves : 18C water temperature in summer, and 20 C air temperature, with unpleasant drizzle half the time. Yikes! always disliked that cool oceanic weather.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:00 AM

24,683 posts, read 44,381,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
The most basic one is not a lie so much as an oversimplification: hot is south, north is cold ( and vice-versa for the southern hemisphere ). Most people don't really have a grasp on how drastically different climates can be on a given lattitude.
Yes most people don't think much about that.

In Australia continentality and elevation play just as much a role in temperature as latitude. Many people are surprised at how mild the winters are in Southern Australia. Some stations on the coast of Tasmania are almost frost-free.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:31 AM

21,369 posts, read 26,573,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
That's true, and it's a fascinating phenomenon. For instance some sites in Labrador that are just a hair warmer than the tundra threshold exist at the same latitude as parts of England where it hardly snows at all in the Winter. Similarly, many of the same people who would consider Fairbanks to be deathly-cold think the climate of Northern Sweden is good, which is at the same latitude. There is also the case of northern New Zealand, which at its average latitude of 35-40 degrees South, is far cooler than one might expect for a Northern hemisphere climate.
A classic story in Quebec is the Frenchman who was coming here in January and who looked at a map of the world, saw that Quebec City and Montreal were roughly at the same latitude as Bordeaux and Biarritz, and chose his "winter" clothes for his trip to Quebec accordingly.

Old 01-19-2012, 10:04 AM

5,901 posts, read 8,200,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
You must not have read much about climate if you think BA is so hot. BA is a bit warmer than Sydney but I wouldn't describe summers there as hot by world standards at all.
I disagree with this, i think BA summers ARE hot by world standards, for example, BA summers are a +3 in dhdh scale, so this means that taking a lot of cities in the world and 0 being the middle, BA is 3 points hotter than that. BA isnt hot compared to Texas, Phoenix, and most of southern USA cities, but it is hot objectivly speaking. Actually, everytime you google "Buenos Aires climate/weather tips" etctera, in all of them says BA haves hot summers and it warns the traveler. I ve never ever read that BA haves warm summers anywhere, they were always called "hot". Texas, Phoenix, etc, are "very hot", while Syndeys are "warm" and Scandinavian are "cool".

Old 01-19-2012, 10:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A classic story in Quebec is the Frenchman who was coming here in January and who looked at a map of the world, saw that Quebec City and Montreal were roughly at the same latitude as Bordeaux and Biarritz, and chose his "winter" clothes for his trip to Quebec accordingly.
lol, he probably freezed!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 10:15 AM

3,338 posts, read 5,677,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Am I the only one who is frequently irritated when people talk about weather and they come up with totally exaggerated statements or huge misconceptions?
What are the most frequent ones in your country/relatives/friends?

For me, in no particular order :

"Mexico is a huge desert where it's 40C all year and there is not a single tree except scattered cacti; plus pollution for Mexico City"
Sorry, but Mexico City's spring is barely warmer than London's summer, and its summer is cooler; it receives more rain than London over the year as well

"In South America, it's always hot and humid, everywhere"
Sorry, but several S.American capitals are cool the whole year (Bogota, La Paz, Quito), and the continent's southern half is temperate...

"It's always cold in Canada/Russia/Alaska" (depending on people)
Sorry, but each of these areas, except for their northernmost part, have warm summers, even Siberia (Yakustk, 25C!) and Alaska (Fairbanks, 23C)

China is rather "a warm country"
Sorry, but Chinese winters can range from -30C nights in Harbin to 20C days in Hong Kong/25C on Hainan Island

"New Zealand is a warm subtropical/tropical country" (this one is incredibly common)
Sorry, but New Zealand is very temperate, and most of the time under 25C

About whichever continental climate : "man, it's -30C in winter and +40C in summer there" - this one is especially irritating
(Most of the time, that's more extreme than the place's record temps either way.)
Hmm... those are interesting "climate stereotypes".

I'm guessing the perception of Mexico with deserts and cacti is because people think of the area around the American border. Then again, there should be a decent amount of people in North America familiar with tropical resort places like Cancun and Acapulco, right? There's gotta be at least some who picture a rainforesty climate too, with ruins in the jungle when it comes to Mexico, due to the Mayans. Perhaps more people take the northernmost borders as more "typical" than the southernmost ones?

When it comes to South America being hot and humid, that's probably people thinking of the Amazon rainforest first, isn't it? I'm sure most people have some time in their life heard of the mountains of the Andes, or that there is a desert region (the Atacama), or perhaps the pampas and Patagonia -- I mean even if they know at least one of these non-rainforesty regions that exists, I guess the Amazon looms largest in the mind, probably because it's the biggest rainforest?

When it comes to thinking much of Canada has snow in summer etc. I think maybe some people more broadly have the mistaken idea of hearing a "colder" or "warmer" climate as meaning consistently that way throughout, and forget about how warmth or cold varies by seasonality more generally. They might think cold winter goes with cool summer -- that hot summer automatically goes with warm winter too. For example, I've known people misled by "Vancouver/the PNW is warmer than the rest of Canada/the Northeast/Midwest US" or "Europe is warmer due to the Gulf stream than North America" to mean those places are warmer year round, not just in winter!

When it comes to China, I notice climate seems like something that is rarely discussed/brought up about it and most people don't really have any particular strong notion of it as either a hot or cold country.

When it comes to New Zealand. That's one that got me the most out of this list. I really thought New Zealand was subtropical to tropical at first growing up. In Canadian cities, I saw tourism ads for NZ that makes you think so, exoticizing it, and especially in northern hemisphere winter, portraying it as a place to escape to "warmth". Due to the stereotypes, it actually shocked me that it's summers were more like Vancouver than Rio de Jaineiro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
Ouch, that must have been a big shock!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:26 AM

7,031 posts, read 8,643,977 times
BA summers are "hot" by day but not at all for their latitude (34S). Most places 34N have much hotter summers. Even Rome, Italy (42N) averages similar to BA at least for max temps, in summer.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:27 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,040,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
When it comes to thinking much of Canada has snow in summer etc. I think maybe some people more broadly have the mistaken idea of hearing a "colder" or "warmer" climate as meaning consistently that way throughout, and forget about how warmth or cold varies by seasonality more generally. They might think cold winter goes with cool summer -- that hot summer automatically goes with warm winter too. For example, I've known people misled by "Vancouver/the PNW is warmer than the rest of Canada/the Northeast/Midwest US" or "Europe is warmer due to the Gulf stream than North America" to mean those places are warmer year round, not just in winter!
I suspect this is more common in the east of the US and Canada where climate transitions are more gradual and more similar in terms of range north to south than other places e.g. Quebec City and Toronto, Boston and Philadelphia, where warmer winters come with hotter summers.

I saw much less of this way of thinking in California and in BC.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
BA summers are "hot" by day but not at all for their latitude (34S). Most places 34N have much hotter summers. Even Rome, Italy (42N) averages similar to BA at least for max temps, in summer.
Yes, this is what happens with northern climate as opposed of southern climates. If you go check Patagonia weather vs European/USA weather, eu and usa weather have summers way hotter probably. I also think winters are warmer in the southern hemisphere (while summer is warmer in the northern)?

I guess Los Angeles is an exception of what we are both saying, since its at the same latitude than BA but summers in LA are cooler, while the rest of the year BA is cooler.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or