Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 01:17 PM

1,011 posts, read 715,306 times

Advertisements

That England's summer is "three fine days and a thunderstorm" and repeat.

Well, no. There is no thunderstorm every 3 days. And we don't have endless repeats of fine days, any time of year. That above statement would accurate describe Texas perhaps. The UK summer is more like 2-3 mostly cloudy days around 65 degrees, then a band of frontal drizzle and wind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2015, 01:22 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,357,778 times
"You know what they say in (insert random state here) just wait 15 minutes and the weather will change!!!"

Yeah, they say it in the other 49 states too, retard.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:33 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MeteoFlan View Post
The UK summer is more like 2-3 mostly cloudy days around 65 degrees, then a band of frontal drizzle and wind.
A Buxton summer, maybe. Certainly not the case here.

Old 04-18-2015, 01:35 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
No, that doesn't ring true here either. Most summer days here vary from mostly cloudy to mostly sunny with temperatures hovering around 70-72F. There will be a few days in each month where it is completely sunny, but they occur much less frequently. Completely cloudy days in summer are unusual

Kinda like that, but without bare trees.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:38 PM

1,011 posts, read 715,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by B87 View Post
A Buxton summer, maybe. Certainly not the case here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No, that doesn't ring true here either. Most summer days here vary from mostly cloudy to mostly sunny with temperatures hovering around 70-72F. There will be a few days in each month where it is completely sunny, but they occur much less frequently. Completely cloudy days in summer are unusual
You two live in places drier and milder in summer than most of the UK... and my statement was about the UK as a whole, not just England.

Even so, England, let alone including Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland, has rain on 10 days a month in summer on average, with an average max of 68 degrees...as per the following data, an average of English climatological stations... so my statement was accurate, but I said 65 degrees not 68 because I was referring to the UK as a whole not just England.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Climat...ingdom#England

The "rain day" day data on here is using the 1mm threshold. I looked at data for Church Fenton and on average a summer month actually has 15-20 days on average with some precipitation even despite being in the shelter of the pennines.

http://www.tutiempo.net/clima/Church_Fenton/33550.htm

We can all agree that the UK summer is not three fine days then a thunderstorm and repeat. This just shows how wrong people's perceptions of the weather are when you see the hard cold data.

My definition of a "fine" summers day is warm (more than 23 degrees) and sunny, and that is certainly not what the UK summer is like consistently, not even in the SE. Your definition of a "fine" summers day my differ.

Last edited by MeteoFlan; 04-18-2015 at 02:58 PM..

Old 04-20-2015, 11:17 AM

The morons who say "Only in (insert said moron's state here) can it be 60 in one day and 40 the next!!!"

Yeah, because the rest of the country didn't see the exact same weather change? Idiot.

This is especially funny when the person lives in a place that doesn't exactly get huge temperature swings compared to the Midwest or South (like the NE US for example).

Old 04-20-2015, 11:29 AM

5,983 posts, read 4,275,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
The morons who say "Only in (insert said moron's state here) can it be 60 in one day and 40 the next!!!"

Yeah, because the rest of the country didn't see the exact same weather change? Idiot.

This is especially funny when the person lives in a place that doesn't exactly get huge temperature swings compared to the Midwest or South (like the NE US for example).
Yeah, or when idiots say "This winter has been so cold. It's not usually like this." when the winter is warmer than average.
I'd already be pissed off about the warm winter, but this would send me over the edge.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:04 PM

^^ People have actually said "This winter has been so cold" in Stuart?

Old 04-20-2015, 12:26 PM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,589,947 times
People in the UK who are not well versed on the climate seem to think than places such as Cornwall or Jersey are warmer than the SE all year round. In reality they are only warmer in winter, and their summers are almost non-existant compared to the inland SE (especially in Cornwall).

Old 04-20-2015, 12:30 PM

I remember one time I was talking to 2 people, one was from Chicago and the other from Vancouver. The guy from Chicago kept on talking how bad winters are in Chicago, and the guy from Vancouver said "well imagine me, I'm from Canada!!"

I literally smacked myself in the forehead afterwards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather