Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2015, 12:52 PM

4,439 posts, read 5,519,730 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
No, that doesn't ring true here either. Most summer days here vary from mostly cloudy to mostly sunny with temperatures hovering around 70-72F. There will be a few days in each month where it is completely sunny, but they occur much less frequently. Completely cloudy days in summer are unusual
Is it really like that, all summer long? If I could experience a summer like that, it'd be no different than if I died and went to heaven (at least that's what my idea of heaven is like...lol.)

Durn it, I'm just going to have to figure out a way to spend a summer in that green and pleasant land. Yes, a whole summer - 90 days straight, June 1 to August 31. One of these days, I'm gonna do it - just to experience it once in my life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2015, 12:52 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,581,703 times
"The "rain day" day data on here is using the 1mm threshold. I looked at data for Church Fenton and on average a summer month actually has 15-20 days on average with some precipitation even despite being in the shelter of the pennines."

I think that's weird - must include dew or something. Even if the threshold was 0.1mm, there's no way we'd get nearly 300 days of rain in a single year (which is what Tutiempo shows). That's bonkers. I did look at ogimet in April 2011 and on days that were totally dry and sunny, apparently there was 'trace' precipitation, which leads me to believe that it's confusing mist, frost and dew with rain. It also showed the rain symbol on days with no 'precipitation' at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Is it really like that, all summer long? If I could experience a summer like that, it'd be no different than if I died and went to heaven (at least that's what my idea of heaven is like...lol.)

Durn it, I'm just going to have to figure out a way to spend a summer in that green and pleasant land. Yes, a whole summer - 90 days straight, June 1 to August 31. One of these days, I'm gonna do it - just to experience it once in my life.
Clearly not every day, but that's about right for July and August. June is more like 65-68F.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:56 PM

7,668 posts, read 5,259,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post

Why not? Its not expensive only $500 for your to fly to England and there are alot of airlines from ATL.

Yes it would be like that in England, 22c isn't that hot you know. Remember it will be cloudy alot though so it won't be quite like a dry mountain climate. Some places can be hotter though not too much more.

We have a large difference betwen north and south in summer too.

Old 04-20-2015, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
"The "rain day" day data on here is using the 1mm threshold. I looked at data for Church Fenton and on average a summer month actually has 15-20 days on average with some precipitation even despite being in the shelter of the pennines."

I think that's weird - must include dew or something. Even if the threshold was 0.1mm, there's no way we'd get nearly 300 days of rain in a single year. That's bonkers. I did look at ogimet in April 2011 and on days that were totally dry and sunny, apparently there was 'trace' precipitation, which leads me to believe that it's confusing mist, frost and dew with rain. It also showed the rain symbol on days with no 'precipitation' at all.

Clearly not every day, but that's about right for July and August. June is more like 65-68F.
We're going to get that tomorrow - maybe. It might be the last day this spring I'll see that. Maybe we'll get one or 2 more cool days this spring, and then it'll be all she wrote for a long, long time (we'll be going into the hot zone, and staying there.)

Old 04-20-2015, 01:01 PM

16,191 posts, read 11,363,072 times
We won't see highs of 65-68 F until December probably.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Why not? Its not expensive only $500 for your to fly to England and there are alot of airlines from ATL.

Yes it would be like that in England, 22c isn't that hot you know. Remember it will be cloudy alot though so it won't be quite like a dry mountain climate. Some places can be hotter though not too much more.

We have a large difference betwen north and south in summer too.
Then again, I could rent a place on top of Beech Mountain (5000 feet plus) for the summer too...lol. That's why so many Scots settled in the highlands of North Carolina when they came over, since it reminded them so much of home. They have a huge Scottish festival up there every July - pretty cool stuff.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
Yeah, I used to have crying fits in October when I still lived there, since summer just wouldn't end. I just didn't move far enough north...lol.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:04 PM

Yeah I suppose. At least you have the option of going from cold to hot and vice versa.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex985 View Post
But surely you are used to 80?

Old 04-20-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sickandtiredofthis View Post
Yeah I suppose. At least you have the option of going from cold to hot and vice versa.
Yeah, the mountains of North Carolina have what I call "Dial a Climate." If it's too cold for your liking up there, just change your elevation, problem solved...lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather