Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2018, 05:21 AM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,270,554 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
I've given you numerous explanations as to why east vs west doesn't matter ... yet you're the one who's still confused.

Hudson Bay is a small, shallow sea surrounded by land. Therefore, unlike the deeper, more open North Sea, the temperature would cool down faster at Hudson, and it gets iced over, completely eliminating any moderation effect.

Now you try this: if east vs west matters, as you say, then why aren't record lows in Australia colder on the east coast than on the west coast? South Africa? South America? How about India?
Much smaller (skinnier) land masses
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2018, 06:24 AM

765 posts, read 573,948 times
Quote:
Now you try this: if east vs west matters, as you say, then why aren't record lows in Australia colder on the east coast than on the west coast?
They sort of are though

And it's not even really down to elevation, as cold temperature can extend to areas of low elevation (particularly at the NSW/Vic border).

Sometimes the difference in mean minimum between the east and west can be quite significant, such as in 2011, or July 2007

You're also unlikely to find such an extensive area of cold in the west as what happened in the east in 1997

It's not a huge difference to be sure, not like comparing record lows in San Diego vs Charleston SC, but still, it does exist.

Have a look through the maps though in any case, I was reasonably cursory

Climate Maps - Temperature Archive

Australian Climate Averages - Maximum, Minimum & Mean Temperature maps

Old 04-07-2018, 06:28 AM

855 posts, read 771,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easthome View Post
Its not the North Sea! Its the gulf stream, its the Atlantic that 'protects' Western Europe from the cold.
Yes, I know...I’m arguing against Texyn who thinks “barriers” like the North Sea or the Rocky Mountains protect west coasts of North America and Europe from cold temps.

Old 04-07-2018, 06:33 AM

855 posts, read 771,739 times
Quote:
I've given you numerous explanations as to why east vs west doesn't matter ... yet you're the one who's still confused.

Hudson Bay is a small, shallow sea surrounded by land.
Eastern North America has the entire Arctic Sea to its north. It’s not small or shallow. Your “barrier” theory just doesn’t work.

Another question: why is Ukraine so much milder than points at the same latitude further east? If you look at a map you’ll see there’s no North Sea “barrier” protecting Ukraine from Siberian air masses, so why is it milder than the east coast of China many degrees of latitude south? Couldn’t have anything to do with east-west could it?

Old 04-07-2018, 07:34 AM

Location: João Pessoa,Brazil(The easternmost point of Americas)
2,540 posts, read 2,004,296 times
Quote:

Now you try this: if east vs west matters, as you say, then why aren't record lows in Australia colder on the east coast than on the west coast? South Africa? South America? How about India?
Record lows in Eastern South America are colder than in the Western coast, Mar Del plata at 38S for example has a record low of -9.3C/15.3F, while Puerto Montt at 41S hold -7.1C/19F.

Old 04-07-2018, 07:45 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
So once again: whether or not winter cold is severe depends on the presence or absence of geographic barriers. East vs west does not matter.
This is wrong! East and West does matter. The Polar and Subtropical Jet Streams with their Rossby Waves moving air masses upon the globe have a much greater impact on a region's weather than any topographic feature. The major effect of topography is the amount of precipitation an area receives, (i.e., rain shadow).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-07-2018, 10:43 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,960,858 times
"It's never hot in California, or at least Southern California, during the summer."

Heck, I'm telling you I'd rather spend an entire summer in New Orleans than one summer day in the Inland Empire.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:20 AM

6,356 posts, read 7,764,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
"It's never hot in California, or at least Southern California, during the summer."

Heck, I'm telling you I'd rather spend an entire summer in New Orleans than one summer day in the Inland Empire.
Not sure who said it's never hot in SoCal. I lived my whole life there until I retired last year and moved to North Idaho. One of the primary reasons for moving was the summer heat. My last full summer there, it was triple digits for weeks on end. Final straw was the day I took a bike ride and limped home with heat exhaustion. Checked the current weather when I finally got home and the temperature was 104ºF/40ºC. I would call that "hot". And, this was in Los Angeles County, (the Antelope Valley).

Moderator posts will always be Red and can only be discussed via Direct Message.
C-D Home page, TOS (Terms of Service), How to Search, FAQ's, Posting Guide
Moderator of Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, Guns and Hunting, and Weather

Old 04-07-2018, 09:32 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Eastern North America has the entire Arctic Sea to its north. It’s not small or shallow. Your “barrier” theory just doesn’t work.
Sure it does. The cold air masses that affect Eastern North America form over land, mainly in Canada. Or they can come from Siberia, through which they cross the land bridge in the Bering Strait area.

Quote:
Another question: why is Ukraine so much milder than points at the same latitude further east? If you look at a map you’ll see there’s no North Sea “barrier” protecting Ukraine from Siberian air masses, so why is it milder than the east coast of China many degrees of latitude south? Couldn’t have anything to do with east-west could it?
First off, there's much more land to the north of China than there is at the Ukraine longitude. Second, there's the Ural mountains to the east of Ukraine that can dampen the cold than tries to bleed west from Siberia. And third...Ukraine isn't milder than China's east coast at all.

Old 04-07-2018, 09:58 PM

2,452 posts, read 2,301,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lab276 View Post
They sort of are though

And it's not even really down to elevation, as cold temperature can extend to areas of low elevation (particularly at the NSW/Vic border).

Sometimes the difference in mean minimum between the east and west can be quite significant, such as in 2011, or July 2007

You're also unlikely to find such an extensive area of cold in the west as what happened in the east in 1997

It's not a huge difference to be sure, not like comparing record lows in San Diego vs Charleston SC, but still, it does exist.

Have a look through the maps though in any case, I was reasonably cursory

Climate Maps - Temperature Archive

Australian Climate Averages - Maximum, Minimum & Mean Temperature maps
I mean, different cold snaps have their differences in trajectories. Like with here in the US, I can pull up many instances when the West Coast got the brunt of cold weather compared to the East. Thus, maps for individual years won't really be that telling. Even so, the 1997 map doesn't look as convincing as the 2007 and 2011 maps.

But in any rate, compared with the western half of the continent, eastern Australia looks to have more dramatic elevations, and at a closer location to the coast. So that plays a role in making the mildness "narrower" on the eastern coast than the west. On the flip side, the area west of the Dividing Range on to the center looks like the largest expanse of lowland on the continent ... essentially, a "bowl" where temps can really bottom out during radiational cooling events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghost-likin View Post
Record lows in Eastern South America are colder than in the Western coast, Mar Del plata at 38S for example has a record low of -9.3C/15.3F, while Puerto Montt at 41S hold -7.1C/19F.
Mar Del Plata looks like it has a lot more land to the S/SW than Puerto Montt does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather