U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Unread 01-19-2012, 12:04 PM

4,701 posts, read 2,491,269 times
This is Mar del Plata in the summer:

Do you think this beach city will be so crowded and the sea will be so crowded if getting into an ocean below 20c was difficult??? And biggest percentage of tourists are people that come from hot cities, not polar bears, lol!!
Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-19-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Here is Brighton Beach on the southern coast of England - water temperatures will generally be below 20C/68F here, even during warm spells.

A nice place to be in summer (bar the crowds!), summer temperatures rarely as hot as in London due to onshore breezes
linki, same here!!! lol, it seems like a similar case to MDP (maybe in MDP air temp is hotter, though), crowded beaches with cool water temp!!

Unread 01-19-2012, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I swam in a lake in France in summer 2006 (the hot one) and water temp was 20-22°C, nearly died of hypothermia.
lol, hypothermia at 22 celsius? then 40 millions of argentinians must be aliens with some kind of superopower that push them to get into waters more colder than thats for endless hours for endless months, and they not only survive, they feel that is beautiful and pay a lot of money to go to places that have this "cold" waters to get in!!

Unread 01-19-2012, 02:43 PM

4,444 posts, read 3,910,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Here is Brighton Beach on the southern coast of England - water temperatures will generally be below 20C/68F here, even during warm spells.

A nice place to be in summer (bar the crowds!), summer temperatures rarely as hot as in London due to onshore breezes
SST “under 68 F” is one thing….SST of 14 C/57.6 are quite another.

I’m not saying I don’t believe you.

I'm saying that I was raised in an East Coast beach town – I swim, surf, snorkel, scuba…etc 12 months a year between the Florida Keys and Rhode Island. I’ve also done the same in many areas on the USA West Coast from San Diego to Big Sur and the islands of the Caribbean and Mexico. I’m able to handle a range of conditions in the ocean: I’ve been in 55 F water in the Great Lakes in fall…and in 93 F seas in protected cays in the southeastern Bahamas.

Yet, I along with most swimmers/surfers/snorkelers…etc I know and have met…struggle without a wet suit in sub 65 F/ 18 C waters. At about 60 F/16 C – most people can only stay in the water for about 20 to 30 minutes. As the water temp falls into the 50’s – 9 out of 10 people can only handle the water for a short time.

Granted between Florida and the Caribbean I might be used to some of the warmest waters in the world… I would make a fair bet that 9 out of 10 people would not go in water below 60 F at all. While it’s true that there is something to be said for acclamation...mosy people could would not be able to handle 14 C/57 F waters for long, trust me.

Unread 01-19-2012, 02:50 PM

701 posts, read 428,277 times
Beaches are usually Breezy, and at least in the meditterean seem to have low humidity, so even 30-35c isnt that bad, and im far from a heat lover.

Unread 01-19-2012, 02:56 PM

7,039 posts, read 3,104,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
lol, hypothermia at 22 celsius? then 40 millions of argentinians must be aliens with some kind of superopower that push them to get into waters more colder than thats for endless hours for endless months, and they not only survive, they feel that is beautiful and pay a lot of money to go to places that have this "cold" waters to get in!!
All those people in that picture are paddling about in your picture there none actually appear to be "in" the water.

I was swimming right in the water in that lake. I didn't really get hypothermia, that was an exaggeration actually. But it was painfully cold to me.

Unread 01-19-2012, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
All those people in that picture are paddling about in your picture there none actually appear to be "in" the water.

I was swimming right in the water in that lake. I didn't really get hypothermia, that was an exaggeration actually. But it was painfully cold to me.
dont you see the people swimming in the white part of the ocean?

Anyways, people is in the water everyday every summer in Mar del Plata, i can find you clearer pictures of only water people if you want. Also, ocean lovers also get in the water in the winter.

Unread 01-19-2012, 03:22 PM

7,039 posts, read 3,104,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SophieLL View Post
dont you see the people swimming in the white part of the ocean?

Anyways, people is in the water everyday every summer in Mar del Plata, i can find you clearer pictures of only water people if you want. Also, ocean lovers also get in the water in the winter.
I'm not disputing whether people are swimming in it or not, I'm sure they do, however I wouldn't, as perhaps my water temp tolerance isn't as good as theirs.

Unread 01-19-2012, 04:22 PM

253 posts, read 200,419 times
I love the warm ocean water of south Florida

I usually go there in November, the weather just about perfect
highs in low 80's, nights in 60's, ocean water is still warm
(seasonal lag).

I went to Florida only once in summer (abit too hot for me)
Clearwater Beach in July, highs in low 90's , low's mid 70's
The ocean water (Gulf of Mexico) was like a "bathtub",
seemed to me atleast 85f, very nice, but I would get my swimming done in the morning because evey day like clockwork about 3 pm there would be a thunderstorm, Tampa/Clearwater area has the most thunder in USA

I've "tried" to swim in colder waters

Old Orchard Beach, Maine (only got up to my knees)

Also the west coast ocean water is very chilly,
contrary to California's Beach Boys surfing image, the
ocean is quite cold (even in July!).

I tried to swim in San Diego (too cold for me)
Also once at Vancouver's English Bay. (yikes)

Unread 01-19-2012, 04:24 PM

right now i will DIE to have 14, or even 10 celsius waters to swim on, since BA is an OVEN right now. I swear even if we had a frigid lake that was 5 celsius i will jump at it RIGHT NOW if i had the chance!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather