Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,929,460 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
The current is nothing compared to California but it makes a bit of difference. It's still decently warm, warmer than San Diego (as warm as 23-24C) and consistent. Sydney is about the same. The advantage is air temperatures are often a lot higher than Sydney or Port Macquarie.
The air temps in Perth look great, but the water temp doesn't appear any different to Santa Monica, CA. Current water temp in Perth, according to the site below, is 68F. Maybe that site is inaccurate, but even low 70's is not all that warm considerng the overall climate.
San Diego beaches reach 70F in late July and August. In an El Nino year they go into the low 70's. I think in 2008 they reached 75F at San Diego beaches.

For Sydney, current water temps are a little warmer, but still under 70F. Considering it is mid-summer, I thought water temps there were warmer. Air-temps look nice though, just about 80F on the coast. Gotta love summer. At least the water in Sydney and Perth looks really clear and blue. Is it always that color and that clear?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2012, 09:39 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
58F would feel downright icy, especially compared to hot weather.
That's the whole point of getting in it .

Quote:
Where would you find 58F on a 'hot day' anyway.
That's another problem; I was pointing out a hypothetical situation. Conceivably it could be artificially cooled, but on a 80 or 90 F day, water temperatures in pools and so forth would be a lot warmer.

Quote:
Humans are not designed for cold water swimming at all. You can die of hypothermia in extended periods in water at 20C (68F).
Refer to my rant against your musings in another thread, and you leave out the factor of acclimation, but even at 20C, the danger isn't great at all for most people.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:35 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
58F would feel downright icy, especially compared to hot weather. Where would you find 58F on a 'hot day' anyway.

Humans are not designed for cold water swimming at all. You can die of hypothermia in extended periods in water at 20C (68F).
I've swum in 60 F (or thereabouts) water in Northern Maine during the summer for extended periods, but was never at risk for hypothermia. Now if I were ship-wrecked and in it for a couple days, then yes, I probably would die. But an hour or two won't kill you.

My ideal water temperature would be around 75 F. Warm enough to be comfortable, but cool enough to feel refreshing. 70 F can feel chilly when you first get in, but I do get used to it. Air temperatures has to be at least 80 F. Ideal air temperature at least 85 F with high humidity. That's the only time I don't mind heat and humidity, but swimming isn't a favorite activity of mine, so I could live without doing it.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:39 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
I'm not sure why people are doubting what I am saying.. I have swam ocean temperature of 14 degrees celsius and it did not feel downright icy at all.. it was in Barcelona in April, the temperature was high that day (79f) but water temperatures in Barcelona are usually quite 'low' until late summer/early Autumn. This is not to say that my ideal water temperature would be 14C/58F, but it is certainly not icy.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:42 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
The 17, 18 celsius of Mar del Plata sea are WONDERFUL to swim in!

I loathe hot water, whats the point of getting into an ocean? cooling off of course!!

If BA had an ocean, i would get in it even if it was at 9c, lol.

Ideal air temperature to get into the ocean: 27 celsius and above.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm not sure why people are doubting what I am saying.. I have swam ocean temperature of 14 degrees celsius and it did not feel downright icy at all.. it was in Barcelona in April, the temperature was high that day but water temperatures in Barcelona are usually quite 'low' until late summer/early Autumn. This is not to say that my ideal water temperature would be 14C/58F, but it is certainly not icy.
I have swam in Bariloche and San martin de los Andes lakes (Patagonia) thats between 12 and 14 celsius and it wasnt icy AT ALL!!!!!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:49 AM

15,318 posts, read 17,221,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I'm not sure why people are doubting what I am saying.. I have swam ocean temperature of 14 degrees celsius and it did not feel downright icy at all.. it was in Barcelona in April, the temperature was high that day (79f) but water temperatures in Barcelona are usually quite 'low' until late summer/early Autumn. This is not to say that my ideal water temperature would be 14C/58F, but it is certainly not icy.
It would be rough, but it's certainly doable.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
14 C = 58 F right?

You gotta be kidding me!

Most people here don't even think about going in the water unless it's 70 F (21 C)...and folks in the south Atlantic and Gulf states won't stick a toe in water under 75 F/24 C (most prefer 80 F/26 C). They moan and groan is southern CA when SST fall even into the upper 60's.

Unless you have some unsual medical condition...there is no way most people could stand being in water in the upper 50's for more than 5 or 10 minutes. I'm not saying you would become sick or even hypothermic...but most people would find SST that cold PAINFULL. How long where you in the water - 8 min, 12 min...?

lol, million and millions of argentinians will disagree with you. Mar del Plata is the most visited city of Argentina in the summer (among argentinians, literally all argentinians go there, lol) with MILLIONS of tourist filling up all the beaches. Water temperature there is below than 20c, beaches are CROWDED and sea is CROWDED. I mean seriously crowded.

Bariloche is one of the most (if not THE most) visited cities in the Patagonia, national and internationally. Nahuel Huapi Lake (that comes from a glaciar) water is around 12 celsius. In summer, people swim in the lake as if it were nothing. Summer in Bariloche isnt hot, way colder than Mar del Plata (and MDP is also way colder than BA), and people go into the lake anyway.

When i was in high shcool i traveled with my school mates to Traful, a place by the lake in the Patagonia. It was beggining of October (very early spring, like beggining of april in norther hemisphere) and all the males got into the water and swam, in a day air temp was like 18 celsius/sunny. Nodoby died or anything, lol.

Its pretty normal here in Argentina to swim in cool/cold waters, we dont have warm waters and everyone gets into the water anyway, in the whole country including the Patagonia.

So its not weird at all. Maybe you are not used to it, but 14c waters arent icy or difficult to handle. If anything, they are very refreshing!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
It would be rough, but it's certainly doable.
Its not rough!! Is beautiful!

Maybe people need to swim at 14c water to realize is not bad at all!!! Its not freezing temps, its quite balmy actually!

Old 01-19-2012, 11:59 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times
Here is Brighton Beach on the southern coast of England - water temperatures will generally be below 20C/68F here, even during warm spells.

A nice place to be in summer (bar the crowds!), summer temperatures rarely as hot as in London due to onshore breezes
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather