Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2012, 04:56 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,560,260 times

Advertisements

We're all talking about how our ideal climate is some remote, uninhabited island or some city at the other end of the world where we've never been; we love average high and lows and everything - but what are your best, most enjoyable and pleasant actual experiences, in climates different than yours?

Personally in no particular order :

- The very long summer days in northern France and in Denmark. The latest sunset I have ever seen so far was 10.06pm in Nantes, France on July 2.

- Summer in Los Angeles, though very comparable to Nice...

- July in Senegal. Actually, that's the first time in my life I stepped in a tropical area and that's when I fell in love with that type of climate. July is right before the peak of the monsoon (August) in Senegal so it's still very sunny but already humid with some heavy downpours. I can remember how much I enjoyed walking in the warm, moist air of the night, hearing the occasional freak thunderstorm while sleeping, as well as the glorious sunshine and hot temps in the day.

- Summer in Hong Kong : years later the aforementioned experience, I found the same very humid and warm climate but this time in a thriving and developed metropolis.

- Singapore : ditto, and every month of the year ! Most of all I enjoyed not feeling cold a single time, ever there, as well as the thunderstorms, abundant vegetation and intense lights

- Snow in Paris and Lille : in both cases, in late November. After weeks of horribly gloomy and grey fall weather, I have to admit it was nice to see some snow. Paris is a beautiful city, snow makes it even prettier.

What's yours?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2012, 05:19 PM

4,042 posts, read 3,528,510 times
I lived near San Jose, California for 13yrs. Oh man, that climate is dreamy and perfect! I'm a native of South Central Texas and my heart remains there while I wish, in ways that I could live back near SJ.

We rented in Sunnyvale and Santa Clara, then bought our first home in Gilroy. Whew.....having lived in noticeable to horrible humidity in Texas I was thrilled to not even notice that humidity existed but maybe once a year, literally, in the area I'm referring to.

It could even get up to 90 on a summer day, there in Gilroy but between five and six PM I would need long sleeves because the breeze was so chilling. No wonder the local, evening news and others, called it "the natural air conditioning."

We moved from Gilroy to Oahu, Hawaii and no way did Hawaii beat areas near San Jose, and Gilroy...not a chance.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:04 PM

6,990 posts, read 11,413,567 times
Rome, Italy is one of the best in Europe.

Old 01-21-2012, 06:27 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Most days here in Perth are pretty comfortable. In April I often forget about the weather when it's sunny, mild-warm. It just feels like room temperature outdoors.

This July in LA had some really nice days. Not too hot at all. Experienced oppressive heat and humidity in the South and East.

It seems most holidays out of Australia I've been on the weather has been hot (like the tropics), or cold (winter in China or New Zealand).

Old 01-21-2012, 07:01 PM

1,440 posts, read 2,540,620 times
Cozumel/Cancun, Mexico, though it's far from my ideal climate.

Old 01-21-2012, 07:17 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,699,345 times
For me the most pleasant climate that I've actually experienced was Fortaleza, Brazil.. absolutely fantastic!
I've also been to Acapulco, Mexico and while it was nice.. it didn't feel quite as nice as Fortaleza.. I think mainly due to lack of onshore breezes.
Hong Kong was nice in the summer. I liked the moist warm and humid air, ideal for hiking in the parks

Old 01-21-2012, 07:42 PM

24,544 posts, read 56,047,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
For me the most pleasant climate that I've actually experienced was Fortaleza, Brazil.. absolutely fantastic!
I've also been to Acapulco, Mexico and while it was nice.. it didn't feel quite as nice as Fortaleza.. I think mainly due to lack of onshore breezes.
Hong Kong was nice in the summer. I liked the moist warm and humid air, ideal for hiking in the parks
Haha, I guess the torrential rain would wash away the sweat from the clammy humidity. Hiking in HK in summer sounds pretty oppressive. I'm not a real heat lover like you are!

Old 01-21-2012, 07:44 PM

3,341 posts, read 5,557,660 times
Early September in the southern foothills of the Brooks Range (clear blue sky, no wind, max temps at 60F-65F, lows down to 40F...no humidity whatsoever...it's a desert up there.)

Old 01-21-2012, 07:52 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,924,830 times
Summer in Barcelona and even Seville was very nice. Sunny but not with oppressive humidity.

I was in Dubai last January for a couple days en-route to somewhere else and it was beautiful. Temps in the mid 70's during the day and 60's at night. Dubai would be a great place to spend a winter.

I've been to S. Florida a number of times in mid-winter and it is usually beautiful. Mid to upper 70's with 60's at night. I remember having days in the low 80's there during a Feb visit. And was very sunny as well. It was like Sept where I live.

Spent a week in Portland, OR in Feb once and was very mild. Don't think I would like the low sun hours though.

St. John USVI once for a week in March and it was amazing. Beaches are incredible.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:40 AM

927 posts, read 1,947,425 times
Our mid-Willamette Valley summers are tough to beat. Nearly as dry as those in California and actually drier than most of the Sonoran Desert. We also don't get the mind numbing heat of a Red Bluff or Chico (or Phoenix), either.

Winter in south Florida is pretty awesome. I was fortunate enough to spend some December and January days on Sanibel Island. The Gulf moderates the rare cold wave that makes it that far south while the prevaling winds generally dump whatever moisture Florida gets during the winter overland. Ft. Meyers can get soaked and the island gets broken clouds and partial sunshine.

For early and mid-spring, my fave is the Organ Pipe/Ajo area in Arizona. While less than 250 miles to the north and 3000 feet in elevation finds Prescott ideal from early May onwards.

And for fall....Sometimes it's right here at home but usually traveling down to the upper Sacramento Valley gives me the ideal combination of generally sunny weather and temperatures up to 25 degrees cooler than those hellish triple digit days that are the norm for July and August.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather