U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 07:52 AM

7,032 posts, read 4,030,998 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Drinking hot tea (or anything hot) is one of the most efficient ways of cooling yourself down. Go to Hong Kong in summer or Singapore to a random restaurant and the first thing you'll get is a hot tea or a glass of hot water, never cold.
I've heard this said before but never believed it as it certainly isn't the case with my body.

I like drinks freezing cold and that is always effective at cooling my body temperature down some (not that I necessarily want it to).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 07:53 AM

14,927 posts, read 8,913,351 times
I've been told it too, but I don't like drinking hot beverages even if it's cold outside

Old 01-29-2012, 07:58 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,850,780 times
Quote:
Drinking hot tea (or anything hot) is one of the most efficient ways of cooling yourself down. Go to Hong Kong in summer or Singapore to a random restaurant and the first thing you'll get is a hot tea or a glass of hot water, never cold.
That doesn't ever work for me. When I drink something hot I always feel hotter.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:26 AM

371 posts, read 441,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Acclimation seems to play a huge role in long term temp sensitivity (what one considers cold or hot):

I can remember a few times in the Caribbean getting into a conversation with locals about weather. They thought that any temp under 80 F/26 C is “cool”...and if you mention that you consider temps in the 60’s (15 - 18 C) as “warm or spring like”, they look at you like you like you’re from Mars. I have to remind myself that people in the deep tropics are used to 80’s every day, every month, all year. I remember one February morning very clearly in Jamaica: Looking out the window and seeing the young grounds keepers wearing jackets tidying up the grounds of the resort/beach. I figured it was chilly (it was early morning), so I wore long pants and long sleeve sweat shirt. When I walked outside the heat (had to be upper 70’s F already) and the semi -high dew point (had to be upper 60’s already) punched me like a wet slap. I admit I was a little in awe of them. This would easily be May or even early June weather in some areas of the USA.

People from the tropics do seem to think that areas outside the tropics are “very cold” in winter. When I lived in south Florida you could always tell who was from south Florida and who was from another state or Canada, Europe...etc. Not only are people in Florida not used to cold, but when it gets even "remotely chilly" they overreact so much with clothing it can be comical to see. Below 70 F in Florida and they break out the jackets/long pants, long sleeves...and if it’s in the 50 – 55 F range at night or early morning, Floridians are in full tundra mode (lol). One morning going to DD I saw a woman in Stuart wearing a ski hat, gloves, and a heavy wool coat.... in 55 F weather. lol.
I noticed something similar last January when I visited my father in Mesa, AZ. Me coming straight out of Polish winter found temperatures in the 40's at night and in the 60's during the day pleasantly warm, like proper spring, and was dressing accordingly, often in long trousers and T-shirt, where all the Arizonans were dressing in at least a jumper, and sometimes even wearing jackets, even during the day...

When we went up north to Show Low to visit family which had a cabin up there, I took out the quad a few times in 30's and low 40's weather wearing nothing more than a woolen jumper over my T-shirt. And yes, I was very comfortable like that. My brother who grew up in The Valley dressed in full arctic gear at that point...

Old 01-29-2012, 09:10 AM

1,256 posts, read 908,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
That doesn't ever work for me. When I drink something hot I always feel hotter.
Same here. I love hot weather, but drinking hot tea, even eating hot meals, can actually change me from comfortable to not.

This past July I stopped cooking almost entirely during a hot spell in the upper 30s C. It wasn't a hardship for me given all the delicious summer fruit!

I wonder - do cold lovers have problems with kitchens being too hot? Often in preparing a big dinner the kitchen wils rise 5-7C at least, sometime 10C if I'm cooking four or five dishes at once. In summer it was oppressive for me, but for someone who hates heat, that jump over room temperature would be awful.

Old 01-29-2012, 09:48 AM

5,117 posts, read 2,850,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
I wonder - do cold lovers have problems with kitchens being too hot? Often in preparing a big dinner the kitchen wils rise 5-7C at least, sometime 10C if I'm cooking four or five dishes at once. In summer it was oppressive for me, but for someone who hates heat, that jump over room temperature would be awful.
Speaking for myself, kitchens can be miserable in Summer-like heat (which in hot climates is most of the year) with the jumping up in temperature due to all the cooking and heat-producing appliances. Since I like hot cooked food myself, that is a major pain if the weather is hot and the inside temperature to start is only marginal for comfort. Of course if one has a strong enough cooling system it can be worked out.

On the flipside, I and probably other heat-haters would do better with kitchens and cooking in Winter, as inside temperatures that would be chilly to begin with (under my heat regime anyway) are warmed up to cozy-warm levels. That means less central heating is needed for me and I get to have all the kitchen products as well.

It all depends on what temperature one starts out with before the 5-7C rise. If it's 10 or 13, then a rise up to 17 or 20 would feel nice. If it starts out as a marginal 22-24, that 7C rise would create a 29-31C environment, which would be intolerable.

Old 01-29-2012, 10:47 AM

14,927 posts, read 8,913,351 times
My kitchen is usually one of the coldest rooms in the house, even when cooking. If we're frying for example and it becomes smokey and becomes very warm and stuffy we'll just open the door - simples.

Old 01-29-2012, 11:27 AM

28,580 posts, read 14,760,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CairoCanadian View Post
Same here. I love hot weather, but drinking hot tea, even eating hot meals, can actually change me from comfortable to not.
Yea, same here. I don't like hot drinks in warm weather; I usually switch to cold drinks when it becomes just warm not hot. A good sign it's summer is when I switch from coffee to iced coffee...

Old 01-29-2012, 11:49 AM

5,003 posts, read 3,528,858 times
Quote:

seriously??? wow, i wouldnt be caught drinking hot tea in BA from november till april, even if i had the flu, only the thought of drinking anything hot makes me wanna faint.
hey, i dont even eat anything hot, i eat salads or cold meat, i cant even eat hot food, let alone tea!!

Old 01-29-2012, 01:09 PM

5,900 posts, read 4,464,891 times
I actually can't stand hot drinks even when it's really cold outside.. I always have my tea lukewarm or just have it cold... one of the things I love to do when I've been in over 30°C temperature is to relax with an ice cold drink
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather