Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the Climate - Block Island, Rhode Island
A 0 0%
B 13 30.23%
C 20 46.51%
D 9 20.93%
F 1 2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 06:17 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,586,994 times

Advertisements

One of the very few places on the East coast that has a Cfb (oceanic) climate..... how do you rate it? I give it a D for the winters...

Block Island - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 06:21 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,445,916 times
I was expecting something much cooler in winter and hotter in summer to be honest! C

Old 01-29-2012, 06:31 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,309,974 times
Although Block Island is technically a Cfb climate because its coldest month is at 32 F…the overall climate of Block Island stands in fairly stark contrast to typical oceanic climates like Seattle, Vancouver, and London…etc.

For one thing average summer temps are much warmer (77 – 78 F) than typical oceanic climates. Block Island often sees many days in the 80’s in the July – Sept months, more so than would typical Cfb climates like Seattle, Vancouver…etc. In fact, I think Block Island has hit 100 F a few times. Also, SST is often in the lower 70’s in this part of the Atlantic in the summer months...far warmer than the 50 F SST typically found close to high latitude oceanic climates. So summer nights are about 10 F warmer on Block Island than in oceanic climates like Seattle or Vancouver...and dew points are often much more sultury in summer. Also, Block Island is subject to hurricanes, something that is impossible in high latitude oceanic climates.

A bit too cool for me however, but otherwise, an interesting climate, and I have visited BI a few times. It has nice beaches and interesting architecture. C+

Old 01-29-2012, 06:36 PM

1,546 posts, read 2,941,147 times
Too cold in winter, not hot enough in summer. Too wet. D+. (The + is because it's warmer then the PNW in the summer and warmer then inland at the same lat. in the winter.)

Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM

22,139 posts, read 29,445,916 times
This climate is like the winters of Prince Rupert and the summers of Paris.. both of which are Oceanic, but yeah, it's lower latitude so will obviously differ a lot from high latitude places like London and Paris

Old 01-29-2012, 06:40 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,586,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Although Block Island is technically a Cfb climate because its coldest month is at 32 F…the overall climate of Block Island stands in fairly stark contrast to typical oceanic climates like Seattle, Vancouver, and London…etc.

For one thing average summer temps are much warmer (77 – 78 F) than typical oceanic climates. Block Island often sees many days in the 80’s in the July – Sept months, more so than would typical Cfb climates like Seattle, Vancouver…etc. In fact, I think Block Island has hit 100 F a few times. Also, SST is often in the lower 70’s in this part of the Atlantic in the summer months...far warmer than the 50 F SST typically found close to high latitude oceanic climates. So summer nights are about 10 F warmer on Block Island than in oceanic climates like Seattle or Vancouver...and dew points are often much more sultury in summer. Also, Block Island is subject to hurricanes, something that is impossible in high latitude oceanic climates.

A bit too cool for me however, but otherwise, an interesting climate, and I have visited BI a few times. It has nice beaches and interesting architecture. C+

Yes Block Island to me looks more like a hybrid climate than a pure oceanic climate.. it has some oceanic features but also some continental features...
According to Wikipedia and other climate data, it says the record high for Block Island is 95°F so I don't think it's hit 100 there..

BLOCK ISLAND STATE AP, RHODE ISLAND - Climate Summary

Old 01-29-2012, 07:01 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,309,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deneb78 View Post
Yes Block Island to me looks more like a hybrid climate than a pure oceanic climate.. it has some oceanic features but also some continental features...
According to Wikipedia and other climate data, it says the record high for Block Island is 95°F so I don't think it's hit 100 there..

BLOCK ISLAND STATE AP, RHODE ISLAND - Climate Summary
Exactly the way I would put it as well:

Block Island has some oceanic features but also some continental features as well. I think that some of the islands a bit further south down the Atlantic coast (like Wallops Island, VA, the islands inside the Outer Banks of North Carolina…etc) in a way are closer to the cool, but not cold winters of true oceanic climates. Locations like the Bodie Island, NC might only see a frost 5 times a year and very little snow. The problem is that once you consider these type of locations, the hot season is so long (May through October)….so warm (average highs above 78 F for half the year)….that they seem more subtropical than oceanic.

As far as max temps at Block Island…you’re right - the record high on Block Island is 95 F set in 1948. However, the full time weather station was closed in 1970 on Block Island. On August 2, 1975, nearby Nantucket, MA (30 miles out to sea), hit 100 F (the current record at the weather station there), and reports of 100 F (and over) were made on Block Island, Fishers Island, and the eastern end of Long Island. I read a few articles that many meteorologists think that BI likely has hit 100 F on this day.

In any event, Block Island, like all tiny "out to sea" locations is a strange and interesting place.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:23 PM

15,317 posts, read 17,142,263 times
Seattle's average summer high is only a couple degrees cooler than Block Island. But yes, the lows are warmer and it's more likely to be sultry.

Anyway, I give it a B. Summers a bit warmer than ideal, but definitely tolerable and winters are pleasantly cool.

Old 01-29-2012, 08:27 PM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

46,011 posts, read 53,143,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Block Island has some oceanic features but also some continental features as well. I think that some of the islands a bit further south down the Atlantic coast (like Wallops Island, VA, the islands inside the Outer Banks of North Carolina…etc) in a way are closer to the cool, but not cold winters of true oceanic climates. Locations like the Bodie Island, NC might only see a frost 5 times a year and very little snow. The problem is that once you consider these type of locations, the hot season is so long (May through October)….so warm (average highs above 78 F for half the year)….that they seem more subtropical than oceanic.
I'd say it's an in between an oceanic and continental climate. Not as oceanic as a Western European or Pacific NW climate but still a different class than most North American continental climates, not like a Midwestern or even an interior New England climate. Growing season is relatively long (mid-April to mid-November frost free) and fluctations a bit lower. Early spring, like much of coastal New England is chilly. March is less than one degree warmer than December, an indicator of a large seasonal lag and strong oceanic influence.

Unlike typical oceanic locations, Block Island is rather sunny, though it might get a bit of fog and low clouds from the coast if it's similar to barrier islands by Long Island. And the dewpoint is higher than a typical oceanic climate in the summer; not sticky like the South or a place like DC but noticeably humid. Warm and humid-ish rather than hot and sticky. Not a bad a place to be in the summer.

Quote:
On August 2, 1975, nearby Nantucket, MA (30 miles out to sea), hit 100 F (the current record at the weather station there), and reports of 100 F (and over) were made on Block Island, Fishers Island, and the eastern end of Long Island. I read a few articles that many meteorologists think that BI likely has hit 100 F on this day.
Hmm. 100°F is unusual in Eastern Long Island.

Old 01-30-2012, 02:09 AM

2,678 posts, read 5,041,272 times
C. Great summers but winters are much too cold for my liking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather