Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 07:51 PM

414 posts, read 797,633 times

Advertisements

Since the other thread is being hijacked, it might be prudent to carry on the "discussion" (shall we say) here.

Simply: "Are palm trees, or the existence thereof, symptomatic of a warm climate?"

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 07:58 PM

61,640 posts, read 87,001,838 times
They are symptomatic of a warm climate, but some are pretty hardy, like those:
Mediterranean (European) Fan Palms - (Chamaerops humilis) - Cold Hardy Palm Trees
Windmill Palm Tree - Cold Hardy Palm Trees
They are OK in 5F.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 PM

10,635 posts, read 16,692,113 times
I think all palm trees show is that a place has mild winters not that the overall climate is warm.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:09 PM

650 posts, read 1,629,150 times
I love these type of threads where they talk of palm trees and tropical weather.

And yes, generally palm trees are indicative of a tropical/subtropical climate.

Old 02-03-2012, 08:24 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,362 times
carrying on from the other thread....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007
That was kind of my point – only in a reverse direction:

It seems that the three or four months of winter is used to define Atlanta’s climate – while the other 8 or 9 months are being ignored. FS seems to have a personal issue with Atlanta, and that’s fine. I just enjoy looking at climate data and seeing where climates fall. You’re quite right, a few months in summer or winter should not be used to define a climate. Annual mean temperates might be a better picture?
No one is defining Atlanta's climate by its winters. I am trying to bang it into your head that Atlanta's climate is not good for growing palms because it is too cold in winter!

Quote:
FS seems to have a personal issue with Atlanta, and that’s fine.
way to blanket your wrongness - no sorry, I don't have any issues with Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Boy...you really hate Atlanta.
would it be because you have no response to my post?

Quote:
]Yet, if you do just that – Atlanta (annual mean temp 61 F) is warmer than Melbourne (58 F):

Atlanta: ATLANTA USA, Weather History and Climate Data

Melbourne: MELBOURNE REGIONAL OFFICE, Weather History and Climate Data

I could care less what location can grow palms or apples or what place has 100 frosts or zero. My only point in this debate is that we should at least give the climate data/facts a fair shake and let them stand on their own.
Those stats are out of date. Atlanta's only goes up to 1980 and Melbourne's 1992. For comparisons sake, let us stick with 1980-2010 normals - these are anyway more indicative of the average temps found in recent years and is becoming the standard for worldwide climate data.

1980-2010 average annual temp:

Atlanta ........... 17.0C
Melbourne ....... 15.9C
Sydney ........... 18.5C

The ability to grow palm trees is hard to determine from annual average temps as it doesn't tell the whole story of conditions throughout the year. Melbourne's is lower than Atlanta's, but we can grow a much bigger variety of palms because we don't have a risk of hard frosts and too-cold winters which can kill them - which is the case in Atlanta, whether you like it or not. And all you have to do to figure that out is look at the facts/data - as you so often suggest

Old 02-03-2012, 08:40 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,952,362 times
Oh yes, I should mention that Victoria also has a native palm species, the Cabbage Tree Palm - which occurs naturally in the southeast of the state, in a climate similar to Melbourne.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:08 PM

497 posts, read 982,978 times
From the Sydney v Atlanta thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
To be honest, I too have seen the irony of this: It seems that those folks who live in climates where they tout how “palm trees grow here”…often have anything but palm tree weather.

I often think that palms are used in many martime climates or southern hemisphere climates to “give the impression of warmth”. Yet, Melbourne in the warmest month is no warmer than Augusta, Maine or Fargo, ND I think?
No one really cares about palm trees in Australia. They're so common, you can find them in any part of the country. A Canary Island palm, washintonias, etc. aren't exotic, even for a Melburnian. Palms are just as special as pines or deciduous trees.

Melbourne, just like ever other city or town in Australia is full of ornamental trees. The palms aren't there to make Melbourne feel warmer, they're there because either the local governments, or individuals on their property, thought they would look nice. The posh parts of Melbourne have mostly deciduous trees.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:20 PM

22,112 posts, read 29,570,200 times
Mild winters are better for palms then hot summers. End of. I have no idea why the other thread has gone so crazy when it's so simple!

Old 02-03-2012, 11:28 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,919,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Oh yes, I should mention that Victoria also has a native palm species, the Cabbage Tree Palm - which occurs naturally in the southeast of the state, in a climate similar to Melbourne.
Love it. I chose Sydney in that thread because you get a really decent winter with much milder min temps in the coldest months, and temps in the low 60's for highs which are warmer than Atlanta. What you will find is that the US being attached to a really massive continent stretching to the Arctic, with no major east-west mountain chain the arctic air has free reign when it decides to come for a visit. This is really only in the three winter months. The US South heats up really quickly in March.

When you look at a place like Charleston which is at sea level and coastal like Sydney, the 3 winter months have avg temps of 61/40F vs Sydney with 62.6/47.7F. Sydney is not so much warmer during the day as the night. No brutal cold air masses pulling that avg low down. Charleston has warmer high temps for 9 months of the year vs Sydney, but for low temps Charleston avg lows are warmer than Sydney for only five months. Fall and Spring you can still get those cool, clear, northwest winds coming down over nothing but land, dry air that cools quickly at night. It makes Charleston more continental than Sydney even though both are coastal. Even in Brunswick, GA which is coastal southeast GA, the avg high/low for the 3 winter months is 64.1/44F. Still slightly cooler than Sydney on the morning low temps.

I think this is because the N. Hemisphere has much colder air in the winter due to all the land, whereas the S. Hemisphere is small bits of land and lots of water keeping those low temps up.

If you look at the US west coast it is much more like Sydney in winter. LA airport avg for the 3 winter months is 66/49F with 0.0 days of min 32F temps. I think S. Calif is warmer than Sydney in winter and I wonder if it is because of the sun being closer in our winter. LA really doesn't get the arctic air due to the mountains blocking it going in their direction and the air off of the Pacific. That is why Sydney is such a neat climate, a hybrid of the SE US and the S. Calif coast.

Old 02-04-2012, 07:57 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,447,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ttad View Post
Melbourne, just like ever other city or town in Australia is full of ornamental trees. The palms aren't there to make Melbourne feel warmer, they're there because either the local governments, or individuals on their property, thought they would look nice. The posh parts of Melbourne have mostly deciduous trees.
Didn't realize palm trees were that common in Melbourne.

Can anyone tell what palm tree I had in the photo I posted of Arcata in the other thread?

http://www.city-data.com/forum/22835542-post64.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather