Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 03:09 AM

575 posts, read 339,237 times

Advertisements

- Last year I moved out of New Jersey (north jersey, border with NY), which has basically unbearably tropical winters for me. Even the heavily advertised local blizzards (the "snowmageddons" in media) are just merely Hot Blizzards (e.g. above 0'F)

- I moved to Montana (north, just few hrs from Canadian border) and this place has much more acceptable winters (though, far from ideal - hence this thread to find out):
- We got down to -40'F one night
- Lots of sub -20'F nights
- Every few weeks we got below -30'F, and it stays few nights like that, which is awesome
- I noticed that walking by river clearly increases the windchill (compared to walking just between the houses), so that helps
- looks like the deep valley, where my village is located, helps a lot, as other nearby small villages are usually 10-15 degrees hotter

Please note, that those low night temperatures aren't just hypothetical for me, because:
- I work remotely and have the option to flip day with night, so I tend to be up between 6pm - 8am (e.g. when it's coldest)
- I walk my Husky 4-6 times a day (well, night, really), so there's no such thing as "inclement weather". If I feel lazy some day, 4 walks is still a bare minimum (get up (1x), go to sleep (1x), and twice in between).
- I tend to close my window at home only when it's below -20 out there, as my Husky just loves to just chill by the open window (not that I blame her), but -20F outside is where I draw the line (it becomes very hard for me to precisely type on keyboard!)

So, no "hibernating" during winter. Also, I can safely leave here in car when I go for day hikes in Glacier National park, since she won't overheat in a car, if it's -20. Can't do it for well over half a year, though, when it's above +40F - looks like threshold is around 35F (though, that's usually very hot for me to hike up the snowy mountain anyway, I find -17F (ideally with a soft breeze) a sweet hiking temperature for a full-day snow hike)

I figured, since the cold benefits us both, we love it, and spend so much time in it, why not find us a nicer, colder place ?

Well, turns out it's actually not so easy. Every time a cold wave hit, I spent lots of time searching for those nice, isolated colder spots. I hit pages like usclimatedata.com and intellicast.com, comparing data for February 2018

I started with the obvious ones, first:
- Chicago: having spent couple winters in Chicago, those winters are definitely very mild compared to here
- North Dakota: Fargo. Been there only once in winter, but combing through historical data usclimatedata.com proves that its winters are absolutely overrated and it's just a myth that Fargo's cold, as this February, only few nights were below -10F. Forget -30 or less...
- Alaska: Anchorage. Few nights of -2F, and the majority around +20. Daytime range <+27, +41> which is literally like New jersey. WTF ?!?
- Alaska: Fairbanks fares slightly better, but dips below -30 only once, so it's meh
- Minnesota Duluth was a major disappointment (though better than most of road-accessible Alaska), given how much bitc*ing I heard about its climate; I checked Duluth (as it was in media), but only 2 nights below -10F ? That's what gets you national fame ?
- Minnesota: Minneapolis didn't even go once below -10, yet during day hovered within <+20, +47>. BTW, I walk my dog in T-shirt when it's +40, as it's just right temperature for walking in T-shirt. That's how cold Minneapolis is ! +47 ? I wouldn't even go out that day, it'd be hot ...

Now, a Prudhoe Bay, AK (gets well into <-50F, -60F> range: which must be awesome), would be great - but I can't expect to be able to drive my belongings there with a U-Haul trailer, now can I ? So, Prudhoe Bay is out.

Rogers Pass in Montana seems to get below -50F each winter, though I missed that last winter - I'm definitely getting winter tires this season. All-year ones are, uhm, suboptimal here (very fun driving (especially in blizzards), nonetheless!)

Can anybody recommend some places in U.S. that get at least below -40F, and ideally below -50F each winter ? I'm currently 50 miles from nearest bigger city, but would be willing to compromise to further distances (though, probably, still want to be at most 200 miles far).

The happiness my Husky was experiencing at -40F is, well - beyond words - she was like turbocharged - she even turned around and gave me this "WTF Look" when we stepped out. We spent only an hour out there, as I had a lot of work that night, and I regret it deeply, as I haven't seen her so over-excited ( I swear she spent more time in the air, than on the ground - that's how much she just kept jumping like on a trampoline) out there before or after.

The real winter magic simply starts below -40 F...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2018, 07:28 AM

5,699 posts, read 4,929,764 times
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fort_Y...Alaska#Climate

Old 07-12-2018, 07:56 AM

217 posts, read 146,493 times
Never have seen a post by an actual white-walker until now.

Old 07-12-2018, 08:40 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,739,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grega94 View Post
Only a -78 record low? That is shorts and tshirt weather

Old 07-12-2018, 09:40 AM

14,313 posts, read 11,702,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffydelusions View Post
Only a -78 record low? That is shorts and tshirt weather
Plus, it gets too hot in Fort Yukon. For five months of the year, the average high is above 50. That's WAY too hot to go outside!

I'm thinking Amundsen-Scott Station for the OP. Yes, it's at the South Pole, but it's an American station, and the temps are just right.

Last edited by saibot; 07-12-2018 at 09:51 AM..

Old 07-12-2018, 09:32 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,897,496 times
Here's a place in Colorado that has a nice Dfc climate AND gets a lot of snow

Fraser, Colorado https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraser,_Colorado

Bitter cold winters are pretty much par for course there ::

Old 07-13-2018, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Plus, it gets too hot in Fort Yukon. For five months of the year, the average high is above 50. That's WAY too hot to go outside!

I'm thinking Amundsen-Scott Station for the OP. Yes, it's at the South Pole, but it's an American station, and the temps are just right.
That sarcasm would have actually worked if you considered:
- you can't take dogs there
- you can only travel as tourist there or NSF employee

Yes, Antarctic climate would be ideal, Antarctic summers can be slightly miserable there, though.

Also, I'm extremely photo-sensitive - I simply cannot handle 24 hrs of light, and walking my dog in the middle of the day in summer (read: now) results in brutal headaches.

There's couple other spots with great winters in Kamchatka and Siberia, and there's always Oymyakov, but I'd rather stay close by to the U.S. labor market...

Old 07-13-2018, 01:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
Here's a place in Colorado that has a nice Dfc climate AND gets a lot of snow

Fraser, Colorado https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fraser,_Colorado

Bitter cold winters are pretty much par for course there ::
Oh

My

GOD!

300 nights below 32'F !!!! Just checked their weather history for July/August and they are indeed hovering around 34 'F in the middle of the summer !
I'm jumping from joy, if we get down to 45'F here these days, but those guys mean business!!!

And it's right here - just 800 miles from here, and totally close to Denver.

Wow, what a find !!! THANK YOU!!!

I'm guessing, since it's so close to the mountain range, blizzards should be a regular occurrence there. I totally fell in love with the white-out blizzards in Montana. Now, I only experienced one proper blizzard, but it was truly Antarctic-level and I would hate to miss opportunity of hiking in the blizzards. It was the first time I actually had to submit to mother nature and just get back to the car - it was that insane. About 10 years ago, in Chicago, they had a second worst blizzard in their history - life stopped for 2-3 days, I hiked ~5 hours in it, and it was absolutely pathetic to that Montana blizzard!
Though, just realized - I could totally drive here, it's just 800 miles, that's doable.

If I could drive 10 hrs through the worst snowstorm of the winter in Newfoundland (coast-to-coast) on my all-year-round-tires (never have I seen so many cars in ditches in one night), surely I can drive to Montana from Colorado with winter ones.

Weather alerts for blizzards are usually 24 hrs ahead, anyway. And I'm gonna have chains and winter tires this season, plus a 3-day car survival kit...

Old 07-13-2018, 02:35 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,216,433 times
Indianapolis Indiana in my humble opinion definitely leans towards at least a cool four season climate, DFW is clearly a fairly mild if not a warm year round climate, whether one prefers cold weather or warm weather is all in the eyes of the beholder.

Old 07-13-2018, 03:26 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,273,729 times
USA having a cold climate?.....not really ....but keep in mind I’m in Canada...

There’s cold .....then there’s COLD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather