U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-13-2012, 01:49 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,765,434 times
When it comes to the question, I'd say Argentina seems fairly diverse as well.

Maybe Mexico too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2012, 08:14 PM

5,038 posts, read 2,564,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumbler. View Post
Would a climate like Miami or Key West not qualify? Aren't they tropical monsoon and tropical wet-and-dry?
Yes, they do qualify as dry-winter climates. However those tropical locales are the only dry-winter climates the USA sports, as opposed to, say, China. And also none of these are totally dry in winter like Darwin is. Take a look at all the Koeppen dry-winter climates:

Aw - The USA has these in parts of South Florida
Am - The USA has the dry-winter version of this in Miami
Cwa - No US locations
Cwb - No US locations
Cwc - No US locations
Dwa - No US locations
Dwb - No US locations
Dwc - No US locations
ETw - No US locations

Again, what I said was the U.S. doesn't have dry winter climates outside of the tropical ones. The States' climatic diversity lacks in the dry-winter department.

I also agree with Stumbler that Canada and Russia have tremendous variation in their climates, especially Russia. It's just that they don't have a lot of different types. There's a huge difference between -5C winter mean and a -40C winter mean, although both may fall (justifiably so) into the Dfc climate.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:31 PM

26,474 posts, read 12,849,750 times
The Great Plains has rather dry winters, though not as much as East Asia, and not enough to be fall under the dry winter category by Koppen

Old 02-13-2012, 09:50 PM

It looks as though dry winter climates that are temperate/continental as opposed to subtropical/tropical seem to be mostly restricted to China and nearby north "far east" Asia.

It seems strange to think of the monsoon in summer as a system that's tropical but where it can affect climates as cold as Siberia in Asia, but in the US (Arizona, Texas, Florida etc.) and elsewhere it's only influencing warm places.

I remember when I first learned how monsoon climates dominate Asia so far north, I asked someone who was a geography instructor why we don't get it in our part of the world, and they said it'd be because the continent of Asia is so big and that if N. America was that big it'd be like that too.

Old 02-13-2012, 10:07 PM

Then again it really does seem like a matter of degree or cut-offs.

I see Koppen's climate definition for "w" for non-tropical climates (C and D categories) means the driest winter month can have only 1/10 of wettest summer month (and some definitions saying driest month must have under 30 mm).

I see that there are quite a few Great Plains climates that would fall under 30 mm in winter months, and according to Wikipedia stats, Omaha has 121 mm in May and 18.5 mm in Jan. So, while one isn't one tenth the other, if winters were a little bit drier (12.1 mm instead of 18.5 mm), Omaha, Nebraska could come close to squeezing into the continental winter dry category. I wonder if there's some place in the Great Plains, based on measurements, even a small spot(s), that manages to do this or even come closer to the mark/category (since I don't see Dwa on any large-scale map of the US).

Maybe if climate changes (more intense summer thunderstorms), Dwa might pop up on a US map?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:50 AM

4,417 posts, read 1,743,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Peru and Chile have some pretty unusual climates and climate variations.
I was thinking of this. Aside from the usual big ones like the USA or China, countries that spawn both sides of the Andes have an impressive diversity for their size. in Peru you go from equatorial rainforest to Alpine to desert over a relatively small distance.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:04 AM

26,474 posts, read 12,849,750 times
For their size, both Italy and Spain have a good variety. Italy has nearly cold continental climates as well hot Mediterranean and mild oceanic ones. Spain has interior continental climates, hot almost deserts, and mild very wet oceanic ones.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:18 AM

Turkey seems to be one of them like that as well.

Old 02-14-2012, 03:29 PM

701 posts, read 496,209 times
For its size, france is pretty impressive. Medittereanian in the south, maybe even semi-arid/almost desert in some bits, alpine in the South East, near-continental in the east, Maritime in the West and north.

Old 02-14-2012, 04:40 PM

4,940 posts, read 3,139,119 times
Argentina, funny no one is mentioning it among the "big" countries.We have a lot of climates over here, huh??

Actually, when you are in primary school, teachers always say "argentina is a great country cause its got all the climates" lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather