Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 04:46 AM

22,112 posts, read 29,585,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigre79 View Post
You can get trench foot if your feet are wet or sweaty, and that can potentially lead to amputation. You can also get chilblains - damage to the capillary beds in your extremities - due to cold, usually damp conditions.
I had chilblains when I was younger due to walking around a cold kitchen floor with no socks on, and occasionally going outside. No amputations though!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2012, 05:47 AM

690 posts, read 1,202,243 times
Ha! try jumping in the North Sea at +5c and see how long before your body starts shutting down. +10c to 65c is the bodys operating range, and either ends of that range only for short periods of time.

Old 02-14-2012, 06:00 AM
nei nei won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Thirteenth Edition (Jan-Feb 2015). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

45,983 posts, read 53,485,386 times
Water chills your body much faster than air, water less than 20°C is really too cold to survive long term. Bathing in 65°C water would be deadly for more than a few minutes.

Old 02-14-2012, 09:45 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,999,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LondonAreaWeatherSummary View Post
Ha! try jumping in the North Sea at +5c and see how long before your body starts shutting down. +10c to 65c is the bodys operating range, and either ends of that range only for short periods of time.
That's for water, which has differing heat transfer characteristics from air, which is what the original post was referring to - air. A given person will prefer and be comfortable in hotter water temperatures versus their preferred air temperatures because water siphons heat from the body faster than air does. 5C water has the same effect on the human body as an air temperature much colder than 5C.

That said, although one certainly will get hypothermia in 5C water unless one is very highly acclimated, frostbite is still impossible unless the water temperature is below 0C. In most cases there won't be any water to swim in - it will have turned to ice.

And about the operating range for the human body even for short periods of time I would say 65C water is much more uncomfortable than 10C water, as most people would be scalded or burned by that sort of water temperature, and good luck swimming in that water; I would imagine one would be at great risk of heat stroke (I know I get too hot to swim in 45C water, let alone 65), and one may also be choked by the extreme amount of humidity that would be above the water surface. On the other hand, one who is unacclimatized would likely get hypothermia and shiver in 10C water, but that hardly compares to being scalded and burnt - one would need water quite a bit colder than 10C to do something similar on the cold end of the scale.

So I'd say for most unacclimatized people the range is from 20C to 50C. With acclimatization I'd imagine the range could be extended 10-15 degrees in either direction, more easily in the colder direction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather