Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 05:52 AM
B87

11,769 posts, read 10,597,260 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdh View Post
Do you have exact monthly averages for Central London? I'm curious about temps in the innermost part of the city.
It's true that I was in London for a few days in July and mornings/night felt much closer to 16/17°C than 13°C.

For 1961-1990 the averages were 14.6C for July and 14.7C for August, so it's probably closer to 16C now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2012, 10:25 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
we are in ORANGE alert today, and they just say in the news that we might be in RED alert (worst one) on saturday, but i dont know if i believe the news, cause they always love to scare people.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:09 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,953,394 times
I think it's 3 days over 32C here. Next to impossible to achieve during this times of catastrophic global warming

Old 02-17-2012, 03:37 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Any day with a horribly suffocating (NSW) westerly is more than enough to cause permanent brain damage

My threshold is when the maximum exceeds 30C with sunshine and a hot & dry westerly blowing for more than two days. If it is overcast then that is fine.

As for the official "heatwave" level - for the city that is - as set by BOM, it would be when temperatures rise above 30C over three consecutive days. Thankfully this very rarely happens.

Last edited by koyaanisqatsi1; 02-17-2012 at 03:46 AM..

Old 02-17-2012, 04:00 AM

2,688 posts, read 6,562,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
I think it's 3 days over 32C here. Next to impossible to achieve during this times of catastrophic global warming
Sounds like Sydney and Melbourne got a spectacularly crappy summer this year ! Sorry for you pal

Old 02-17-2012, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Sounds like Sydney and Melbourne got a spectacularly crappy summer this year ! Sorry for you pal
It's only this month in Melbourne. Jan had 11 days over 30C and another 10 nights over 20C so no complaints there. Sept-Dec was also one of the best periods for thunderstorms I can remember.

Sydney on the other hand has been stuck in this pattern of cool cloudy onshore winds all summer so there's been a severe lack of hot days. Sydney Airport had only 2 days above 30C for the whole summer! Very little storm activity aswell. Melbourne's actually averaged warmer days with more sunshine for all 3 summer months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
Any day with a horribly suffocating (NSW) westerly is more than enough to cause permanent brain damage
Ofcourse it is.

Old 02-17-2012, 09:53 AM

5,874 posts, read 10,528,943 times
Another day with 34 c in BA . February needs to have 10/22 celsius days for their last 10 days cause if not, this february average is gonna be like +5c hotter than average.

Old 02-21-2012, 04:54 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,125,272 times
A "heat wave" is either considered 3 or 5 consecutive days with highs above 90F. The National Weather Service issues advisories or warnings (I get them confused) when the heat index rises above 105F. That's 100F with a dewpoint of 67F, 95F with a dewpoint of 73F, 90F with a dewpoint of 75F, and 86F with a dewpoint of 83F.

For Duluth, a "heat wave" is unofficially 3 or more days with highs above about 82F. For the older crowd the cutoff might be 77F.

Old 02-21-2012, 05:40 AM

2,397 posts, read 3,350,573 times
Quote:
I, and many other locals, do not, in the case of the former, consider it crappy. In fact, this is being regarded as one of the loveliest summers ever and has been much welcome after years of ridiculously hot summers. The fact that December was the coldest in 51 years (and January in 12 years) speaks volumes!
For the record summer, for Melbourne, has been much warmer than Sydney.
Melbourne statistics: the December mean daily maximum of 25.1C was nearly a degree above average and the minimum of 15.1 more than 2C above average. January saw a maximum of 27.4C being recorded which is 1.5C above average and the minimum of 17.3C 3 degrees C ABOVE average!
This month is currently showing the running maximum (26.3C) at 0.5C above average and the minimum of 16.2C which happens to be 1.6C above average so he has no cause to complain about it really!
Looking at this: Melbourne Forecast - seems to be in for a spell of horribly hot and humid weather – rather they have it down there than up here – LOL

Old 02-21-2012, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by koyaanisqatsi1 View Post
I, and many other locals, do not, in the case of the former, consider it crappy. In fact, this is being regarded as one of the loveliest summers ever and has been much welcome after years of ridiculously hot summers.
For you. I'm sure most people in Sydney are sick to death of the lukewarm cloudy tripe of the last 3 months and would love temps that actually resemble summer to enjoy the beach etc. Highest temp this month in Sydney is 28.2C..... what a load of crap, and to add insult to injury, a pathetic 6.7 hours of average daily sun and with 16 of the 21 days so far recording rainfall. That is seriously taking the p1ss and I feel sorry for the majority of Sydney residents who are wondering where the fudge summer has gotten to...

Quote:
The fact that December was the coldest in 51 years (and January in 12 years) speaks volumes!
Very, very regrettable situation.

Quote:
For the record summer, for Melbourne, has been much warmer than Sydney.
True. I know a couple of Sydneysiders that came down to Melbourne for the tennis open and were ecstatic about the heat and sunshine....they said that it's the first time this summer they broke into a proper sweat...and actually experienced a true summer heat and sunshine..... noticed the tennis players themselves were drenched and were wiping their foreheads every 5 seconds. Fantastic!

Quote:
Melbourne statistics: the December mean daily maximum of 25.1C was nearly a degree above average and the minimum of 15.1 more than 2C above average. January saw a maximum of 27.4C being recorded which is 1.5C above average and the minimum of 17.3C 3 degrees C ABOVE average!
January average low in Melbourne is 15.6C... so that 17.3 is 1.7C above average, not 3C.

Quote:
This month is currently showing the running maximum (26.3C) at 0.5C above average and the minimum of 16.2C which happens to be 1.6C above average so he has no cause to complain about it really!
Looking at this: Melbourne Forecast - seems to be in for a spell of horribly hot and humid weather – rather they have it down there than up here – LOL
Incorrect. Melbourne's average Feb high is 26.6C and low 16.0C .... so that 26.3C is actually 0.3C BELOW average and the min only 0.2C above average.

That so called "horribly hot humid" weather will only last 4 days before the next antarctic front and prolonged cold spell due It'll bring crap here, but in northern Victoria it'll bring temps up to 8C below average....with clear sunshine

That cold air will be interacting with the hot and humid airmass preceding and will no doubt bring will bring massive thunderstorms. Melbourne is great at breeding intense storms lately that pop up out of nowhere....will be moving my car under cover to avoid the usual large hail that is always a threat with storms lately Luckily I live on top of a hill, because flash flooding has destroyed dozens of homes and businesses this summer But still, hail is a major concern here... it has caused untold damage to vehicles and residences over the last few years. my brother's and his girlfriend's car and my best mates's cars were damaged by hail in the last year.

Last edited by Flight Simmer; 02-21-2012 at 06:53 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather