Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2007, 06:24 PM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times

Advertisements

Fall is beautiful and the temperature is ideal, but I always feel a sense of sadness. Everything is dying. I think fall reminds us of our mortality.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2007, 06:29 PM

130 posts, read 527,577 times
I am not looking forward to a long dreary winter in Mn. I am not trying to be negative but winters here are too long and can get very sad. I just got back from vacation in Florida and wish I could've stayed on the beach longer!

Old 09-10-2007, 04:31 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JameeLynn25 View Post
I am not looking forward to a long dreary winter in Mn. I am not trying to be negative but winters here are too long and can get very sad. I just got back from vacation in Florida and wish I could've stayed on the beach longer!
See the thing about Florida is its a great place to visit but not to live. People do not realize that there is a depression that goes with Florida too. There is absolutely NO season change. Most people are like ohh cool no snow.. Yah but realize that almost every single day will be HOT , my Christmas last year was 83 degrees wtih 90% humidity. I was sweating on Christmas day. Thanksgiving in the 90's.. Thats every single year,, year after year after year. Know those days in summer where you're like ugh I wish it was cooler.. Yah the cooler days NEVER come. And it gets depressing. Honestly. Also when you live in Florida you don't go to the beach. Its like people who live in near Boston or whatever city but never go to it. The beaches are packed with tourists, there is a algea that blooms off the water that the state likes to keep a little secret called Red Tide. It blooms for like 3 or 4 months a year. It burns your eyes and mouth and throat. People end up in the hospital. You don't even have to live near the beach to be affected, the wind blows the little blooms into towns and people can't go outside. Then for 6 months a year you can watch your town go from 200,000 people to 1,000,000 people. I laugh when I see those stupid commercials of people running on white beaches (which btw the water on the west coast of Florida is not blue, its brown the Gulf of Mexico runs brown) , yah okay life is really like that. And like is really like a Friends episode for everyone who lives in a city.. Pfftt

Old 09-10-2007, 08:28 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
See the thing about Florida is its a great place to visit but not to live. People do not realize that there is a depression that goes with Florida too. There is absolutely NO season change. Most people are like ohh cool no snow.. Yah but realize that almost every single day will be HOT , my Christmas last year was 83 degrees wtih 90% humidity. I was sweating on Christmas day. Thanksgiving in the 90's.. Thats every single year,, year after year after year. Know those days in summer where you're like ugh I wish it was cooler.. Yah the cooler days NEVER come. And it gets depressing. Honestly. Also when you live in Florida you don't go to the beach. Its like people who live in near Boston or whatever city but never go to it. The beaches are packed with tourists, there is a algea that blooms off the water that the state likes to keep a little secret called Red Tide. It blooms for like 3 or 4 months a year. It burns your eyes and mouth and throat. People end up in the hospital. You don't even have to live near the beach to be affected, the wind blows the little blooms into towns and people can't go outside. Then for 6 months a year you can watch your town go from 200,000 people to 1,000,000 people. I laugh when I see those stupid commercials of people running on white beaches (which btw the water on the west coast of Florida is not blue, its brown the Gulf of Mexico runs brown) , yah okay life is really like that. And like is really like a Friends episode for everyone who lives in a city.. Pfftt
You make a lot of sense! I'm not a big fan of constant, bone numbing cold, but I'll take four seasons any day. Especially after the summers we experience in North Texas. The winters here are just about right.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:09 AM

1,451 posts, read 2,490,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synopsis View Post
You make a lot of sense! I'm not a big fan of constant, bone numbing cold, but I'll take four seasons any day. Especially after the summers we experience in North Texas. The winters here are just about right.
ugh Texas summers... worse than South Fla no doubt! For me I want Christmas to feel like Christmas, the cold just never bothered me for some reason. Even when it was 9 degrees out it was cold.. not miserable.. I dunno lol different strokes for different folks!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:20 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
Quote:
ugh Texas summers... worse than South Fla no doubt! For me I want Christmas to feel like Christmas, the cold just never bothered me for some reason. Even when it was 9 degrees out it was cold.. not miserable.. I dunno lol different strokes for different folks!
I understand what you're saying about monotonous Florida and no season change and I completely agree...but Synopsis also has a point in that the hot Texas summers of unending days in the 97-102 degree range (especially in North TX but nowhere near as muggy as Florida or even Houston) does end and it will change. You can't say that for much of Florida. It won't be a numbing cold like New England, but occasional days in the 30s for highs, an occasional snow or ice event, etc at least offers up a change of season which many newly transplanted northerners and native southerners crave in N TX.

Old 09-10-2007, 09:53 AM

9,589 posts, read 27,808,501 times
Quote:
Know those days in summer where you're like ugh I wish it was cooler..
Nope, not at all!
I like to play outside even when the heat index is 115 F.

Quote:
You don't even have to live near the beach to be affected, the wind blows the little blooms into towns and people can't go outside.
Ouch!

I never dreamed that red tides could cause problems on land.

Does it cause allergic reactions?

Old 09-10-2007, 10:05 AM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Nope, not at all!
I like to play outside even when the heat index is 115 F.

Cold Canadian,
I can hardly believe that you think a heat index of 115F is acceptable to even be outside. I was outside a few weeks ago when the heat index was around 110F and I thought I was going to have a heatstroke after 20 minutes outside. Trust me, when the heat index is over 110F with around 60% humidity no one (less than 5%) of the population wants to be outside for an extended period of time unless they have to. That kind of heat and humidity is very dangerous.

Old 09-10-2007, 10:12 AM

13,791 posts, read 8,155,037 times
I thought the same thing when I read that...no one likes to be outside in 115F heat index....it can be very dangerous...people die down here at heat indices that high and you're warned to limit your activities outside if possible.

Thank God it's not a common occurrence and doesn't usually last too long at indices that high....

Old 09-10-2007, 10:25 AM

11,887 posts, read 36,922,373 times
At 11:25 here in DFW, it's 73 degrees and raining buckets. A cold front is supposed to slip through here later today and dip us down into the 60s for the first time since Spring. This time, and the next few months are my favorite time of the year! I love September, even though it's mostly hot, because of what's right around the corner - FALL.. The anticipation of cooler weather is almost as good as the cooler weather itself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather