U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2007, 11:32 AM

8,636 posts, read 10,906,374 times

Advertisements

We are in AZ and we absolutely love the fall and winter here vs the cold/snowy N.CA winters.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2007, 11:58 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,613,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plains10 View Post

Cold Canadian,
I can hardly believe that you think a heat index of 115F is acceptable to even be outside.

I was outside a few weeks ago when the heat index was around 110F and I thought I was going to have a heatstroke after 20 minutes outside. Trust me, when the heat index is over 110F with around 60% humidity no one (less than 5%) of the population wants to be outside for an extended period of time unless they have to. That kind of heat and humidity is very dangerous.
Well let me tell a story and you can tell me if I'm making a mistake. (that's possible)

I was in Hilton Head SC for a week after being evacuated from Myrtle Beach. It was 97 F every day, humidity somewhere between 45-55 % in the afternoon. They forecast the heat index between 105-110 F everyday. I spent all day outside, sometimes in the water, but also I recall a few afternoons I sat on the porch in the shade reading for up to an hour-and-a-half. After reading for over an hour, I didn't even feel overly thirsty.

Another time I was in Raleigh and it was 103 F with 35 % humidity and I loved how toasty and dry it felt. Recently some Texans pointed out that with that humidity it would equal a heat index of 115 F.

Well I might be in that "less-than-5%," since none of that heat I was in seemed dangerous, except for people not trying to stay hydrated.

*I did notice other people were out at the resorts I was in, no one there seemed to be having too much of a problem, though they might have taken breaks for A/C once in a while.

Old 09-10-2007, 12:08 PM

1,461 posts, read 260,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Nope, not at all!
I like to play outside even when the heat index is 115 F.

Ouch!

I never dreamed that red tides could cause problems on land.

Does it cause allergic reactions?

It causes very bad allergic reactions. People end up in the hospital , doctors offices. You can't go in the water becasue it irritates your skin. But you mostly don't have to worry about that because its impossible to get near the water. If feels like your eyes and throat are on fire! It kills all the fish, so while your throat and nose are burning you can smell dead rotting fish (in the 105 degrees sun) for weeks on end
here's some snippits from Wikipedia

"

On August 23, 2007, 5 year-old boy was killed and 12 others were hospitalized after eating mussels shellfish contaminated with red tide toxin

These blooms of organisms cause severe disruptions in fisheries of these waters as the toxins in these organism cause filter-feeding shellfish in affected waters to become poisonous for human consumption due to saxitoxin.The term "red tide" is often used in the United States of America to describe a particular type of algal bloom common to the eastern Gulf of Mexico, and is also called "Florida red tide". This type of bloom is caused by a species of dinoflagellate known as Karenia brevis, and these blooms occur almost annually along Florida waters. The density of these organisms during a bloom can exceed tens of millions of cells per liter of seawater, and often discolor the water a deep reddish-brown hue"

Old 09-10-2007, 02:40 PM

130 posts, read 361,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarastomsgirl View Post
See the thing about Florida is its a great place to visit but not to live. People do not realize that there is a depression that goes with Florida too. There is absolutely NO season change. Most people are like ohh cool no snow.. Yah but realize that almost every single day will be HOT , my Christmas last year was 83 degrees wtih 90% humidity. I was sweating on Christmas day. Thanksgiving in the 90's.. Thats every single year,, year after year after year. Know those days in summer where you're like ugh I wish it was cooler.. Yah the cooler days NEVER come. And it gets depressing. Honestly. Also when you live in Florida you don't go to the beach. Its like people who live in near Boston or whatever city but never go to it. The beaches are packed with tourists, there is a algea that blooms off the water that the state likes to keep a little secret called Red Tide. It blooms for like 3 or 4 months a year. It burns your eyes and mouth and throat. People end up in the hospital. You don't even have to live near the beach to be affected, the wind blows the little blooms into towns and people can't go outside. Then for 6 months a year you can watch your town go from 200,000 people to 1,000,000 people. I laugh when I see those stupid commercials of people running on white beaches (which btw the water on the west coast of Florida is not blue, its brown the Gulf of Mexico runs brown) , yah okay life is really like that. And like is really like a Friends episode for everyone who lives in a city.. Pfftt
Good point on Florida. I guess being from Mn. and seeing the beach for the first time I was in ahhhh. The first thing that came to mind was "I want to live here". Then as the days passed while visiting I realized the drivers were worse than Mn., the people seemed a little to stuck on themselves, they have jobs, yes, however the pay is inhumane (sp), the cost to live in a shoebox in Florida is outrageous and property tax is going way up. Its nice they dont have state taxes, but let me tell ya, they make up for it on everything else. Its too bad the state cant get there act together for people that want to have a life there.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:47 PM

15,403 posts, read 21,493,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCanadian View Post
Well let me tell a story and you can tell me if I'm making a mistake. (that's possible)

I was in Hilton Head SC for a week after being evacuated from Myrtle Beach. It was 97 F every day, humidity somewhere between 45-55 % in the afternoon. They forecast the heat index between 105-110 F everyday. I spent all day outside, sometimes in the water, but also I recall a few afternoons I sat on the porch in the shade reading for up to an hour-and-a-half. After reading for over an hour, I didn't even feel overly thirsty.

Another time I was in Raleigh and it was 103 F with 35 % humidity and I loved how toasty and dry it felt. Recently some Texans pointed out that with that humidity it would equal a heat index of 115 F.

Well I might be in that "less-than-5%," since none of that heat I was in seemed dangerous, except for people not trying to stay hydrated.

*I did notice other people were out at the resorts I was in, no one there seemed to be having too much of a problem, though they might have taken breaks for A/C once in a while.
The heat can still be very bad even in the shade when the heat index is over 110F. In the eastern plains the sun is very intense because their is not as many trees compared with the eastern part of the country. The heat and humidity is extremely bad when you do not have much shade. Yes, I think you are in the less than 5% minority because you can tolerate a heat index of over 115F.

Old 09-10-2007, 05:58 PM

2,181 posts, read 3,802,308 times
Quote:
You can move up to the NE here with me, Farmers almanac is predicting a VERRYYYYYY snowy winter... sorry coldcandian looks like you're gonna have to fly south for the winter
I'd gladly move up to the NE. Cincinnati winters can be too warm and boring. Too much rain in the Winter around here - not enough snow.

Quote:
How do you guys post pictures?
Anyway, I hate heat and humidity very much. It only starts to feel a little cool to me when it is 50F outside. Anything above 90F is way to hot for me. I think that the climate of New Hampshire will be a good fit for me because I want to escape the heat/humidity for the most part.
I'm with you. Anytime it gets above 74 degrees, I start roasting.

You're a moderator and no one told you how to post pictures? Tell those guys to get on the ball and train the help better! LOL! Just kidding. The picture has to be online somewhere, unless you upload it as an attachment. All you do is click on that little icon above the reply box that looks like a little postcard (some say it looks like a postage stamp), and enter the URL to where the picture is located on the internet. And then when you submit your reply, the picture will show up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Fall is beautiful and the temperature is ideal, but I always feel a sense of sadness. Everything is dying. I think fall reminds us of our mortality.
Oh, no no no - don't feel that way! Think of it like this......Summer's getting ready to go to bed for a while, and it's putting on a great show for us before saying "Good night!"

Quote:
ugh Texas summers... worse than South Fla no doubt! For me I want Christmas to feel like Christmas, the cold just never bothered me for some reason. Even when it was 9 degrees out it was cold.. not miserable.. I dunno lol different strokes for different folks!
I agree about Christmas. Christmas is supposed to be cold (or at least cool enough to wear a sweater), with lots of snow!

Old 09-10-2007, 08:57 PM

265 posts, read 515,550 times
Default Brrrrrrrrr!

[quote=ColdCanadian;1439465]I never intended this thread to sound like my rant about my climate, just as humour among fellow heat-seeking Northerners or as way to bleed off some frustration for those already experiencing chill. (not likely in the lower 48, but perhaps someone "trapped" in Alaska, northern Canada, northern Europe etc.)

I'm already feeling a bit chilled...I'm in Michigan. Lets see, scraping ice off my windshield, driving 40mph on slippery roads, shoveling, and not being able to sleep because my feet are chilled to the bone! Nope, I'm not looking forward to Winter at all. I'll just have to keep reminding myself that this will be my last, then, I'm outta here!

Old 09-10-2007, 09:59 PM

3,716 posts, read 5,477,919 times
I look forward to winter....kills all the bugs! By the way it was 34 this past Sunday morning 9/9 not real frosty though but wet as soil is still warm. About average as our first frost is usually mid Sept and first freeze last week in Sept.

Dan GF/EGF ND-MN

Old 09-10-2007, 10:03 PM

91 posts, read 212,794 times
Fall is so beautiful in NC ..I can't wait to drive by a Lake and see the reflection of the leaves on the water..ahhh! Cool weather come on!!

Old 09-11-2007, 12:20 AM

9,598 posts, read 15,613,823 times
Quote:
Yes, I think you are in the less than 5% minority because you can tolerate a heat index of over 115F.
If that's true, isn't it odd that I'm a northerner and/or Canadian?

For me when the shade just starts feeling noticeably hot, it's not unusual to hear of people dying on the news.

Over 115 F? I never said anything about that.
I don't know if I've ever felt weather that hot.
Did you figure that because of how well I handle heat index of 105-110 F?

I know for a fact that if I start out cool and refreshed and hydrated indoors I can go outside when it's 98 F, humidity like 55% so heat index around 110 F and while not exerting myself I can go without anything to drink probably at least one hour.

In situations like that of being cool and refreshed it would easily take me 10-15 minutes before my face is not dry and about 30-45 minutes before I start being very oily.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather