U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 09:54 AM

2,826 posts, read 1,398,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Scripps Pier is not San Diego.

Coronado Beach - TourGuideTim Reveals San Diego!

Water temps in S. Calif reach their highest along Coronado and Mission Beach (San Diego). Scripps Pier is north of San Diego. I posted that data in my table. That link you have doesn't show Coronado or Mission Beach(San Diego-the bottom line in my table), but the table I posted did. Water temps reach 70-72F there on average. In winter, Perth water temps are warmer.
I just noticed that table now that you've mentioned it. Scipps Pier is about 13 miles north of San Diego admittedly but they were the closest NOAA figures for the area I could find on their website. Interested to know if the location for the figure you posted is in San Diego Bay or on the coastline proper. Either way, I agree summer SST's are similar with cooler temperatures during other seasons along the San Diego coast, SST's follow an unusual sort of pattern here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 11:15 AM

6,943 posts, read 3,266,919 times
Quote:
I admit I got carried away, which is easy to do on here, lol. I'm not the only one for sure. It is just kind of anathema for Americans to move overseas for climate. I do know Americans that have moved because they don't agree with the govt policies here, but not climate. You need to take a look at some of the comments on the Canada forum if you want to see rude comments about the US.
There's no shortage of Americans around here, but I've never met any that moved here for the climate. I do know some that have said they found their perfect climate though- not too hot, not too cold.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:23 AM

5,754 posts, read 2,760,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
I just noticed that table now that you've mentioned it. Scipps Pier is about 13 miles north of San Diego admittedly but they were the closest NOAA figures for the area I could find on their website. Interested to know if the location for the figure you posted is in San Diego Bay or on the coastline proper. Either way, I agree summer SST's are similar with cooler temperatures during other seasons along the San Diego coast, SST's follow an unusual sort of pattern here.
As I've said before, Perth wins. For me it is because of warmer beach air temps. That makes a big diff when you come out of water in the low 70's or upper 60's. Inland San Diego is very warm in summer, but right at the beaches max summer temps are mid 70's. I checked the BOM, and it seems right on the beach at Perth, max summer temps are 80-85F.

I think San Deigo offers great winters, I think nicer than Perth since I wouldn't be going in the ocean in Perth with air temps in the mid-60's and cool water in August. However, compared to where I am now, Perth offers great winters to me. So they are both so close for winter, but Perth doesn't have May Grey or June gloom and cloudy beach days in those late spring/early summer periods.

Perth summer air temps are more beach friendly. The water in summer is probably more consistenly warmer, cause I don't think La Nina would cause cooler water in Perth. 2010 and 2011 were La Nina for San Diego and the water was def cooler. Before that temps were in the lower 70's in 2009 and 2008.

Old 02-29-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
There's no shortage of Americans around here, but I've never met any that moved here for the climate. I do know some that have said they found their perfect climate though- not too hot, not too cold.

People from Arizona and the SW US head to the PNW in summer for that very reason. A friend of mine here, his mother has a condo in Scottsdale, AZ and she heads there from Minnesota every winter. This is what Americans do, tons of them. My dad's sister hated winter, along with her French born husband, and years ago they up'd sticks and moved to Hollywood, FL. The US may not have the exact climate of NZ, but there are def areas where it is never hot nor cold, like coastal California and the PNW. I just don't think it in the mindset of Americans to move overseas for climate.

My good friend here in Philly got a job in Geneva for an American University, and I don't think he has ever looked back. Climate played no role. He favors a European lifestyle. Trimac made a great point. Countries like Australia are afforded the ability to lay in the background and quietly do their thing. We spend huge, absolutely huge amounts of good tax money on defense that other countries don't have to. Much of that money could do well to improve infrastructure and standard of living here, but ain't happening. I look forward to the day we are not a superpower, or at least the day we no longer police the world.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
People from Arizona and the SW US head to the PNW in summer for that very reason. A friend of mine here, his mother has a condo in Scottsdale, AZ and she heads there from Minnesota every winter. This is what Americans do, tons of them. My dad's sister hated winter, along with her French born husband, and years ago they up'd sticks and moved to Hollywood, FL. The US may not have the exact climate of NZ, but there are def areas where it is never hot nor cold, like coastal California and the PNW. I just don't think it in the mindset of Americans to move overseas for climate.

My good friend here in Philly got a job in Geneva for an American University, and I don't think he has ever looked back. Climate played no role. He favors a European lifestyle. Trimac made a great point. Countries like Australia are afforded the ability to lay in the background and quietly do their thing. We spend huge, absolutely huge amounts of good tax money on defense that other countries don't have to. Much of that money could do well to improve infrastructure and standard of living here, but ain't happening. I look forward to the day we are not a superpower, or at least the day we no longer police the world.
I recently met a couple from Arizona, who move up to Portland for the summer. Since they had retired, they no longer wanted to spend the summer in Phoenix. They thought that our summer felt like a humid Phoenix winter.

California would have the perfect climate/geography for me, except for two things. A dry summer, which I don't like, and a relatively unvaried coastline. Apart from those things, it would be fantastic.

I have to disagree with the notion of Australia living the good life at others expense. It owes a debt of gratitude to no country, other than itself.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:01 AM

27,019 posts, read 13,411,049 times
How's California's coastline unvaried? I can't think how it could be unvaried.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How's California's coastline unvaried? I can't think how it could be unvaried.
It seemed to lack a lot of geographical features I'm used to -Sounds, fiords, large harbours (apart from SF) large estuaries, indented coastline in general.

I've driven the length of it's coast, and while I thought it was beautiful, I do remember thinking it was less varied than I was used to. NZ has a coast line about 3 times the distance of Californias, so could be expected to have more variation.

The US eastcoast looks more varied to me.

Last edited by Joe90; 03-01-2012 at 11:39 AM..

Old 03-01-2012, 11:42 AM

27,019 posts, read 13,411,049 times
Quote:
It seemed to lack a lot of geographical features I'm used to -Sounds, fiords, large harbours (apart from SF) large estuaries, indented coastline in general.
When I thought varied I was thinking topography such as this (both of California):

The east coast is rather dull and unvaried in comparison.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:59 AM

It is certainly a beautiful and rugged coastline, but I would typically expect to see something quite different just around the corner- a huge sandy beach, a big estuary, mangrove lined harbours, massive sand dunes, mountains coming right down to the sea.

I liked the California coast, but from what I remember, it was mostly like the photos you posted, or sandy beaches.

I will have to check out the east coast one day.

Old 03-01-2012, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I recently met a couple from Arizona, who move up to Portland for the summer. Since they had retired, they no longer wanted to spend the summer in Phoenix. They thought that our summer felt like a humid Phoenix winter.

California would have the perfect climate/geography for me, except for two things. A dry summer, which I don't like, and a relatively unvaried coastline. Apart from those things, it would be fantastic.

I have to disagree with the notion of Australia living the good life at others expense. It owes a debt of gratitude to no country, other than itself.
I never said anything about people living the good life at our expense. They get to stay in the background cause they are not a superpower or a large power. It's a well known fact how much we spend on defense cause we play the policeman.

And I have to disagree. Australia, the US, NZ and Canada owe a debt of gratitude to the UK. Without the UK, we wouldn't exist. The greatest gift we got from them was that we were colonies of theirs, and they laid very good foundations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather