Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2012, 10:23 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,356,103 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Lol what? The Gulf of Mexico's water temps reach around 32°C in the height of summer. That's a lot closer than Guam, and still warmer
Out of the places shown in the table. Didn't see the gulf of Mexico there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2012, 10:31 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,818,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Out of the places shown in the table. Didn't see the gulf of Mexico there.
That's because it's not the height of summer anymore The ≤32°C are only around mid July. Gulf temperatures are around 29-30°C right now. That SST chart seems to only list Pacific stations, not Gulf or Atlantic

Old 08-13-2012, 10:45 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,356,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
That's because it's not the height of summer anymore The ≤32°C are only around mid July. Gulf temperatures are around 29-30°C right now. That SST chart seems to only list Pacific stations, not Gulf or Atlantic
I'll swim anywhere where it happens to be over 28 degrees. I know Guam isn't the only place where that happens. Because the table only showed Guam, that's why I said Guam.

Old 08-13-2012, 10:58 AM

25,024 posts, read 27,818,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
I'll swim anywhere where it happens to be over 28 degrees. I know Guam isn't the only place where that happens. Because the table only showed Guam, that's why I said Guam.
Ah gotcha

Old 08-13-2012, 12:01 PM

20,652 posts, read 23,796,695 times
The sea temps reach 29c in cyrpus sometimes. That is alot closer to him than the Gulf of Mexico.

Old 08-13-2012, 01:00 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,858,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight Simmer View Post
Only the very south of California has decent temps, the rest are purely disgusting and those temps around SF are as bad as SSTs around Tasmania in the middle of winter!
I agree with you. Only from LA down to the Mex border is decent in summer. Currently in Santa Monica Bay off of Long Beach the temp is 70F and goes up to 74F from Oceanside down to San Diego.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:26 PM

227 posts, read 144,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
I haven't had a proper summer in California, but comparing it to the NSW south coast, I would say California. The feel of the sun was the biggest difference I noticed- a less intense feel in coastal California. Possibly less bugs and less of a bushfire risk as well, even though California is bad for fires, NSW has more bush (and burnt out areas). California is also warmer in winter. Coastal NSW generally looks greener

Southern NSW seems to have a California feel to despite, some obvious differences. It even has the mountains and snowy climates, not too far away.
there are mountains with snow almost everywhere California, and California is much colder than Australia. although southeast asutralian coast has colder winters than coastal California due to its latitude.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:30 PM

227 posts, read 144,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
How do you know that a 19C shade temp, would feel like 39C in the sun, or is that an approximation? Is there an unbiased way of working out the hot the sun feels on the skin at a given temp? I asked this question indirectly awhile ago, but didn't get much response. http://www.city-data.com/forum/weath...shade-sun.html

I also thought that the SoCal sun felt nice for the time of year, and lacked the burning sensation of here. There should be more energy and heat in the SoCal sun given the lower latitude, but it felt like there was less heat in the sun. I know UVI is only said to make a slight difference. Could air pollution take a bit of the sting out of the coastal California sun?
no its, the earth's axis. during nov-march, the earth is closer to the sun, and these months are the summer season for the southern hemisphere. a combination of these factors means very warm summers with strong sunshine in australia.

Old 09-15-2020, 01:42 PM

1,503 posts, read 895,849 times
"Healthful" is rather a subjective term that isn't much used these days. In the old days people from Britain who had asthma and some other conditions were packed off to places like Perth in Australia, which were considered to have "healthful" climates.

Coastal Australia is generally warmer than California (there are exceptions of course) so I'd choose Australia. Certainly California has nothing like Townsville, Innisfail or Cairns which I'd place well above anything California has to offer.

Old 09-16-2020, 01:36 AM

11,645 posts, read 12,846,050 times
The OP is comparing a golf cart to an airbus. Does he not know realise how vast coastal Australia is? I mean, seriously:

He is comparing this...

To a relatively small coastal sliver:

Northwest Australia is anything but healthful. The summers are very humid with dewpoints reaching over 25C, and the rest of the year has drought for the most part. The far north coast is hot and humid all year round. The northeast is wet and prone to tropical cyclones that bring flash flooding and destructive conditions. The southwest and southeast are the only habitable areas with decent climates, although they are prone to bushfires and the latter can get stormy as well.

You can see that coastal Australia has an array of climates, whereas coastal California is mostly temperate to subtropical Mediterranean with substantial semi-arid tendencies in the south. One simply cannot compare that strip piece of land to the whole Australian coast. Lol...

Last edited by Ethereal; 09-16-2020 at 01:50 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather