Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 12:46 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,921,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChesterNZ View Post
Man, I really don't know as I don't live in either place. I can only judge based on the data available online, which suggests that Perth has SSTs significantly higher than San Diego.

I've looked far and wide, and everything I find has Perth as significantly warmer than SD. Just learn to deal with it.

If you find different data I'd be interested in hearing about it.
I posted the data. Post data from the BOM, then I will believe. You are talking a couple of degrees F at most. Hardly "much warmer". You post hyperbole, deal with it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 03:31 AM

3,187 posts, read 4,586,474 times
As a whole the 'average' Californian and Australian climates are hard to separate, many people find both very agreeable. Generally California has cooler summers but Australia more summer rainfall. Personally I'd pick higher summer rainfall over cooler summer temperatures, though southwest WA is of course more typically Californian than Australian as far as climate is concerned.

RE: Perth/San Diego SST's

Perth sea surface temperatures are slightly warmer than San Diego's in summer and much warmer in winter. On an annual basis Perth SST's are 3.8C (6.8F) warmer.

Perth Average Sea Surface Temperatures (data sourced from the Australian Ministry of Defence)

Monthly Averages
Jan= 21.0C / 70F
Feb= 21.6C / 71F
Mar= 21.8C / 71F
Apr= 21.3C / 70F
May= 21.1C / 70F
Jun= 20.3C / 69F
Jul= 20.1C / 68F
Aug= 19.2C / 67F
Sep= 18.7C / 66F
Oct= 19.1C / 66F
Nov= 20.3C / 69F
Dec= 20.1C / 68F

Summary Statistics
Max= 21.8C / 71F Min= 18.7C / 66F Avg= 20.38C / 69F

Navy Meteorology and Oceanography (METOC) > Products and Services

Quote:
The West Australian Current and Southern Australian Countercurrent, which are produced by the West Wind Drift on the southern Indian Ocean and at Tasmania, respectively, flow in the opposite direction, producing one of the most interesting oceanic current systems in the world.

The Leeuwin Current is very different from the cooler, equatorward flowing currents found along coasts at equivalent latitudes such as the southwest African Coast (the Benguela Current); the long Chile-Peru Coast (the Humboldt Current), where upwelling of cool nutrient-rich waters from below the surface results in some of the most productive fisheries; the California Current, which brings foggy conditions to San Francisco; or the cool Canary current of North Africa.

Because of the Leeuwin Current, the continental shelf waters of Western Australia are warmer in winter and cooler in summer than the corresponding regions off the other continents. The Leeuwin Current is also responsible for the presence of the most southerly true corals at the Abrolhos Islands and the transport of tropical marine species down the west coast and across into the Great Australian Bight.
Leeuwin Current - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Diego Sea Surface Temperatures (Scripps Pier-La Jolla, San Diego sourced from the NOAA)

Jan= 58F / 14.4C
Feb= 57F / 13.9C
Mar= 58F / 14.4C
Apr= 59.5F / 15.3C
May= 62F / 16.7C
Jun= 64.5F / 18.1C
Jul= 66.5F / 19.2C
Aug= 68F / 20.0C
Sep= 66F / 18.9C
Oct= 64F / 17.8C
Nov= 61F / 16.1C
Dec= 59F / 15.0C

Summary Statistics
Max= 68F / 20.0C Min= 57F / 13.9C Avg= 61.95F / 16.64C

US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Old 02-29-2012, 04:33 AM

497 posts, read 983,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Most of Northern Australia isn't agriculturally rich land - it's more suitable for grazing. Actually most of the North is on the arid side most of the year except the far north Top End and coastal Queensland.
I meant in terms of living, enough water and space to do everything a developed world person would need to do. Agriculturally, I still think Australia could do it, if not just reduced import restrictions (not that I'd really want that to happen though).

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
It doesn't now, but the US does. The US started out about the size of Australia population wise, and look where it is now. The US has abundant natural resources that went into building the richest nation in the world. You simply cannot compare Australia providing a great country for 22M people, with the US providing a great country for most of the population of 310M people. Simply not in our league, no way no how. I don't mean that to insult, but do you seriously think you can compare a nation of 22M with one over 310M. Anyway, this is a weather forum and not a political or geography forum.
I'm not comparing the countries, I'm not really comparing anything at all really. It was just my point that Australia can support a large population. The areas needed to this aren't currently developed, but they're there.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:41 AM

6,990 posts, read 11,410,464 times
Looking at both the climatic averages and sea surface temperatures it takes no kind of genius to work out that Perth is far better for water sports and enjoying the beach if you like warmth. Duh.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:48 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,922,556 times
Quote:
Ha Ha Ha, A Canadian has to move overseas and uproot their life entirely to get a warm climate, something an American never does. We have every climate on earth just about, as well as geologic landscapes, and no need for us to move overseas for weather or natural beauty. I can honestly say I never met an American that moved countries solely for climate reasons.

There is a geologist working in my office here, and he owns a condo in Venice Beach, FL. His condo neighbors on either side of him are Canadian, along with bunches of them in the housing development. They have to run back to Canada when they reach their 6 month visa limit. He checks on their property for them, because after spending the cold season getting out of that icebox of Canada, they aren't allowed back in the US for six months. That is funny. We will take your investment money to live in our warm climates, but you can't stay. And let's be honest here, the warm and sunny winter climate and scenic desert beauty of S. California is not matched anywhere in frozen tundra Canada.

I choose Perth for the better beach weather (just barely compared to San Diego). And if you wanna talk moving up the coast in WA, then why don't you mention crocs, irukandji, and the box jellyfish. I wouldn't go near unprotected beaches for half the year. In fact, I've seen websites that recommend never going in the water there at certain times of the year, protected or not. California folks can go to Hawaii for beaches that are just as spectacular or even more so, with warm water all year round and no such critters in the ocean.
I think it's great that we don't have to uproot our lives and move overseas to find warm climates when we have our own. We are pretty spoiled when it comes to that, and probably factor in why many Americans don't venture overseas much when weather is concerned. If we want something that isn't found in the US, a short, inexpensive trip to Mexico or the Caribbean suffices, and Mexico is the North American version of Australia, climatically speaking. The only thing that Australia beats the U.S. out on, is that they have a larger land area in the deep tropics than the U.S. The tropics in the U.S. is basically limited to small-medium sized islands and the Florida peninsula. Still, Australia's livable land area in QLD is confined to no more than 20 miles from the coast

Last edited by theunbrainwashed; 02-29-2012 at 05:01 AM..

Old 02-29-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yes, the US has a population so large over such a wide area but for how much longer can it support its current standard of living with so many people, huh? And over such a wide area. Australia has a tiny population by comparison yet manages to have an economy worth over 1 trillion dollars on par with the likes of India and Russia.. I think for such a small country population wise that is pretty darn impressive.

(oh, and I guess one just has to ask why Cold Canadian didn't move to Florida instead of Australia.. hmm. )

And yes, this is a weather forum, but if you're going to start arguing about such things then be prepared for a reply from me because I take these things very seriously and will not allow ignorant comments to go unanswered.
I don't think it ignorant to state that comparing a nation of 22M with 310M is comparing apples to oranges. I think I stated Aus does afford a better standard of living, but the US isn't bad either. As far as the US maintaining a certain living standard, who knows how long any country can maintain that. I will say that much of our population growth is fuelled by immigration, so quite a lot of people from all over the planet are moving here. The problem with India and Russia is governance, and if that is ever sorted they will go much beyond Australia's economy.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkiercupid View Post
As a whole the 'average' Californian and Australian climates are hard to separate, many people find both very agreeable. Generally California has cooler summers but Australia more summer rainfall. Personally I'd pick higher summer rainfall over cooler summer temperatures, though southwest WA is of course more typically Californian than Australian as far as climate is concerned.

RE: Perth/San Diego SST's

Perth sea surface temperatures are slightly warmer than San Diego's in summer and much warmer in winter. On an annual basis Perth SST's are 3.8C (6.8F) warmer.

Perth Average Sea Surface Temperatures (data sourced from the Australian Ministry of Defence)

Monthly Averages
Jan= 21.0C / 70F
Feb= 21.6C / 71F
Mar= 21.8C / 71F
Apr= 21.3C / 70F
May= 21.1C / 70F
Jun= 20.3C / 69F
Jul= 20.1C / 68F
Aug= 19.2C / 67F
Sep= 18.7C / 66F
Oct= 19.1C / 66F
Nov= 20.3C / 69F
Dec= 20.1C / 68F

Summary Statistics
Max= 21.8C / 71F Min= 18.7C / 66F Avg= 20.38C / 69F

Navy Meteorology and Oceanography (METOC) > Products and Services

Leeuwin Current - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

San Diego Sea Surface Temperatures (Scripps Pier-La Jolla, San Diego sourced from the NOAA)

Jan= 58F / 14.4C
Feb= 57F / 13.9C
Mar= 58F / 14.4C
Apr= 59.5F / 15.3C
May= 62F / 16.7C
Jun= 64.5F / 18.1C
Jul= 66.5F / 19.2C
Aug= 68F / 20.0C
Sep= 66F / 18.9C
Oct= 64F / 17.8C
Nov= 61F / 16.1C
Dec= 59F / 15.0C

Summary Statistics
Max= 68F / 20.0C Min= 57F / 13.9C Avg= 61.95F / 16.64C

US NODC Coastal Water Temperature Guide

Scripps Pier is not San Diego.

Coronado Beach - TourGuideTim Reveals San Diego!

Water temps in S. Calif reach their highest along Coronado and Mission Beach (San Diego). Scripps Pier is north of San Diego. I posted that data in my table. That link you have doesn't show Coronado or Mission Beach(San Diego-the bottom line in my table), but the table I posted did. Water temps reach 70-72F there on average. In winter, Perth water temps are warmer.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Looking at both the climatic averages and sea surface temperatures it takes no kind of genius to work out that Perth is far better for water sports and enjoying the beach if you like warmth. Duh.
I agreed that Perth was better in this department. For me though, the real diff is that beach air temps would be in the 80's there, while in San Diego it would be the upper 70's. I stand by my statement that the water temps are not "much warmer". That would intimate somewhere on the order of 10F to me. They are like 2F off at most in an average summer. The key diff is air temps in Perth are almost 10F warmer.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Yeah, most Americans just move to get the hell out.

Seriously though, that was a pretty stupid post, and really unnecessary. I don't think ColdCanadian was expecting such a rude reply. No wonder Americans are so unpopular just about anywhere and everywhere.
I admit I got carried away, which is easy to do on here, lol. I'm not the only one for sure. It is just kind of anathema for Americans to move overseas for climate. I do know Americans that have moved because they don't agree with the govt policies here, but not climate. You need to take a look at some of the comments on the Canada forum if you want to see rude comments about the US.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:52 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,996,087 times
Quote:
I admit I got carried away, which is easy to do on here, lol. I'm not the only one for sure. It is just kind of anathema for Americans to move overseas for climate. I do know Americans that have moved because they don't agree with the govt policies here, but not climate. You need to take a look at some of the comments on the Canada forum if you want to see rude comments about the US.
Well, I'm sure that a few among the Americans that move abroad do it primarily for climatic reasons, but it's quite rare compared to other countries, for the simple reason that the U.S. has very high climatic diversity, especially compared to even Canada or Mexico, or Australia (although varied, these feature only certain types), and especially countries like the U.K., New Zealand, and Brazil (which feature practically just one or two types). I will say, though, that the diversity is only so incredible because of the addition of Alaska and Hawaii. With just the lower 48, the pickings are much slimmer even if it's still diverse, especially if you're a winter weather fan.

Americans don't move overseas for climate because they don't need to. If you're looking for a particular climate, all other things being equal one would choose the place with that climate in one's own country over one overseas, due to less hassle with moving and immigration. This sort of scenario is very common in the United States. If the United States just had a few climatic types and was lacking in a certain area (heat or cold; speaking of that it's already cold-deficient now ex-Alaska), I'm sure Americans would be just as eager to move abroad for climate as any other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather