U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-11-2012, 09:52 PM

504 posts, read 208,755 times
Looks like daytime highs will be near 70 all week. This is the earliest spring that I have experienced here. This might be the warmest March on record if this warm weather keeps up. There doesn't look to be any end in sight through at least next weekend. I just hope this doesn't mean that we're going to have another hot summer like we did the past 2 years
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2012, 09:56 PM

3,339 posts, read 2,583,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
Last night, as I was trying to sleep (with the radio on quietly), I kept hearing a faint, ethereal moaning sound. Quite spooky. I thought at first it might be coming from the radio. However, when I turned it off, I still heard the weird sound every now and then. Every time the sound moaning reached a crescendo I heard a kind of rattling noise outside. I then noticed the temperature in my room was dropping faster and the curtains started moving by themselves, slightly.

I got totally creeped out and thought there was a ghost or demon in my room, or outside the window. I froze in fear. I dared not look out of the window lest I see a pair of red eyes staring back at me or see a great apparition of the moth-man or some other beast loom up infront of me. Finally though, I got my rational mind together and gingerly tipped over the the weather station console on my computer table, on which I noticed the wind seemed particularly high, and blowing from the north west, which my window faces. The sound was in fact the wind, and yet I stupidly though it was some supernatural entity all along.
lol... I found this post funny.

Old 03-11-2012, 10:38 PM

2,792 posts, read 2,581,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWNJ View Post
Looks like daytime highs will be near 70 all week. This is the earliest spring that I have experienced here. This might be the warmest March on record if this warm weather keeps up. There doesn't look to be any end in sight through at least next weekend. I just hope this doesn't mean that we're going to have another hot summer like we did the past 2 years
This is my dream spring! I cannot overstate how much I LOVE 70 degree days in March.

Old 03-12-2012, 03:57 AM

13,707 posts, read 7,054,736 times
A cloudy start but skies are clearing from the north east so another lovely day in store. Had 10.4 hours of sunshine yesterday - clear and sunny from dawn to dusk.

Just a quick table showing my recorded sunshine hours this month, averaging 5.1 hours a day now, keep this up and we'll be over 158 hours by the end of the month,

Last edited by dunno what to put here; 03-12-2012 at 04:14 AM..

Old 03-12-2012, 05:57 AM

4,933 posts, read 2,335,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
This is my dream spring! I cannot overstate how much I LOVE 70 degree days in March.
Just the opposite for me. Early springs, by American standards anyway, are absolutely horrific and jumping right into the blast furnace of heat so early with monotonous weather and no chance for cold snaps or snow is close to my nightmare spring. If your current Spring weather was 2 months later, I'd like it a lot better, mainly because the timing of plant growth and blooming would be better in mid May than mid March. Even then I'd like nights a bit cooler than what Newark is getting, and I'd like more variation all-around. I despise 70+ Fahrenheit days any time from October to April, but I don't mind some 70's in the Summer months. Truthfully, your dream Spring bears more a resemblance to my dream Summer (65/45F) than anything else.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:51 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,418,471 times
A disappointing day today. Most of the country stuck under layers of low cloud caught up in the high, and the sun not able to burn it off. A chilly 7C outside. Some places in the East Midlands that reached 17C yesterday were only 6C at 12:00 noon today.

I was wondering if I was in the only place to be getting this crap but a look at the metoffice satellite reveals most of the country is sharing in this gloom. So all in all I've only had one sunny day out of this high. Gloomy high pressure indeed. Metoffice got it right for the most part overall.

Looking at my previous years weather records it seems that March 2012 is now quite some way duller than both 2010 and 2011 were to the 11th, and will continue to be relatively even duller. Forget this crap, roll on summer.

Anyway by the 17th/18th a northerly wind is in the offing with forecast highs of 5C or so, reminding us all that in fact despite this false-spring start, March is indeed a winter month, and so often can early April be too.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:52 AM

25,122 posts, read 11,511,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Just the opposite for me. Early springs, by American standards anyway, are absolutely horrific and jumping right into the blast furnace of heat so early with monotonous weather and no chance for cold snaps or snow is close to my nightmare spring.
But that's not really real spring when cold snaps are preventing plant growth. You're looking for something closer to extended winter...Real spring is something closer to ben86's photos... hopefully we can catch up!

Quote:
If your current Spring weather was 2 months later, I'd like it a lot better, mainly because the timing of plant growth and blooming would be better in mid May than mid March.
Are you opposed to early plant growth or worried that frosts will kill off plant growth? There's a possibility that NYC might not get another frost this season, at least not a killing frost.

Here, 31F this morning.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:40 AM

4,933 posts, read 2,335,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
But that's not really real spring when cold snaps are preventing plant growth. You're looking for something closer to extended winter...Real spring is something closer to ben86's photos... hopefully we can catch up!
I agree that "Spring" entails plant growth, such as blooming, if you exclude what I call the "other spring", which is properly referred to as breakup or mud season. However that's not what I'm talking about. When I'm talking about cold snaps in a Spring context, I'm referring to frosts and light freezes; nothing on the order of a hard freeze (26F and colder) that could damage a hardier plant. These hardier plants, which include most trees in a continental climate, would have no problem with some light freezes, aside from retarding growth somewhat (which is a good thing if one wants the Spring to last longer than a week). Snow is also part of a proper spring, if uncommon. I'm referring to that kind of 33F wet snow, which is "here today and gone tomorrow". More tender plants can wait until later in the season in this proper seasonal climate (my dream climate is colder than this but that is still my benchmark).

I do prefer an extended winter lasting into April and dormancy lasting until May; however I still know and appreciate a Spring as long as it is in its proper place. For me that's later in the season in May or June. Of course once we enter June we're entering subarctic territory, which my dream climate is a part of, and Spring (which occurs in the summer months) just transitions back to Winter at that point. I don't like a real Summer myself, so my dream climate doesn't feature proper four seasons, however I have not lost sight of what a proper, prototypical four-season climate is, and the standards I use as a climatic benchmark.

More fundamentally, I see a real Spring as being the transition season from a real Winter to a real Summer, so naturally there's going to be cold snaps and freezes especially earlier on, and hotter weather later on, along with plants coming out of dormancy sometime in the middle of the period. The proper Spring, thus, also features snowfall, but usually wet and ephemeral, especially in the middle to late portions when the plants come out. Something like Memphis where snow is nonexistent anytime past March is not what I'm talking about. Winnipeg, Calgary, and Minneapolis are good examples of this in action, and as an isolated case I point out the snow on the cherry blossoms in Washington, D.C. in late March 2011, which was sheer perfection for Spring, if it occurred 1-2 months later. As I recall it helped to extend the blooming period, and cold snaps did occur during that time period, but nothing deadly.

Quote:
Are you opposed to early plant growth or worried that frosts will kill off plant growth? There's a possibility that NYC might not get another frost this season, at least not a killing frost.
I'm definitely opposed to early plant growth, and that has no relation to concern about the plants. It's more of a "on principle" objection. Of course, it is a bummer to have the blooms killed and turned black by frost, which ruins the whole period. If the plants bloomed later that would be less of a problem. However if they come out early, I root for the elimination of those abominable blooms. I consider it to be, for lack of a better analogy, righteous retribution.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:46 AM

2,792 posts, read 2,581,102 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Just the opposite for me. Early springs, by American standards anyway, are absolutely horrific and jumping right into the blast furnace of heat so early with monotonous weather and no chance for cold snaps or snow is close to my nightmare spring. If your current Spring weather was 2 months later, I'd like it a lot better, mainly because the timing of plant growth and blooming would be better in mid May than mid March. Even then I'd like nights a bit cooler than what Newark is getting, and I'd like more variation all-around. I despise 70+ Fahrenheit days any time from October to April, but I don't mind some 70's in the Summer months. Truthfully, your dream Spring bears more a resemblance to my dream Summer (65/45F) than anything else.
I'm sorry but only an Alaska resident would call 70F days a "blast furnace of heat". It's actually quite pleasant and you still need a hoodie most of the time when not in direct sunshine.

Also I'd be very depressed if I had to wait until May to see plant growth.

Old 03-12-2012, 07:49 AM

1,158 posts, read 631,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
A cloudy start but skies are clearing from the north east so another lovely day in store. Had 10.4 hours of sunshine yesterday - clear and sunny from dawn to dusk.

Just a quick table showing my recorded sunshine hours this month, averaging 5.1 hours a day now, keep this up and we'll be over 158 hours by the end of the month,
that's more than here, and we are coming out of "summer".

FAIL WHALE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather