U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-05-2012, 03:29 PM

27,982 posts, read 14,231,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
How can plant growth not be exciting?

I'm close to counting the days...
Here's some I have. Didn't have a chance to go very far; I just walked down a local street late this morning and took whatever had some plants. You can in some spot we have a lot of growth and others are just bare and tiny buds, waiting for the weather to get warmer. The cool dry isn't helping; we keep getting frosts with the low dew points.

a bit tilted, but the trees got buds!

New life coming in among the old.

Many trees have flowers:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2012, 03:38 PM

14,840 posts, read 8,633,599 times
The Daffodils came up here ages ago but are already beginning to wilt as they do eventually..

Old 04-05-2012, 03:44 PM

2,789 posts, read 2,858,065 times
Here is a picture I took of Madison Park in NYC a few days ago:

Old 04-05-2012, 04:46 PM

7,826 posts, read 9,536,720 times
Pretty much every tree that didn't leaf yet is leafing now. I'm a happy camper.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:27 AM

25,442 posts, read 13,743,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMarbles View Post
Here is a picture I took of Madison Park in NYC a few days ago:
Wow! Just 40 minutes from me and its not that green here on the CT coast. Interesting. Woke up to 32 degrees here. Very nice.

Old 04-06-2012, 05:29 AM

Took this picture the other day. Its a little further up in CT.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:12 AM

7,032 posts, read 3,934,437 times
It's a bit ironic that it looks like the dead of winter in that photo above and like spring here with leaves coming out, but is probably nice and warm in that photo above and still freezing cold with bits of snow lying here for god's sake.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
It's a bit ironic that it looks like the dead of winter in that photo above and like spring here with leaves coming out, but is probably nice and warm in that photo above and still freezing cold with bits of snow lying here for god's sake.
lol. True. It was warm (and has been for past 6 months). I believe the trees there are a certain Maples and some oaks and usually they are late to bloom but you're right, it looks like Winter in that photo taken just 2 days ago. Its about 35 minutes from the coast so its not even that far north either.

Old 04-06-2012, 08:28 AM

27,982 posts, read 14,231,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cambium View Post
lol. True. It was warm (and has been for past 6 months). I believe the trees there are a certain Maples and some oaks and usually they are late to bloom but you're right, it looks like Winter in that photo taken just 2 days ago. Its about 35 minutes from the coast so its not even that far north either.
Your photo is more bare than mine are and I'm much further from the coast. It's very all over the place this year.

Old 04-06-2012, 10:59 AM

5,092 posts, read 2,775,044 times
I found some news stories that may be of interest. There's been an April snowstorm in parts of Eastern Europe (video link , and a news article). Arctic sea ice extent has also managed to catch up to average or close to it (depending on what data source you believe), and there's been another later than usual onset of the melt season. Multi-year ice is entering a steady climb due to there being a persistent core of ice that has stayed intact post-2007. Another interesting fact is the record high extent of ice in the Bering Sea, no doubt caused by the extremely cold weather that has parked itself in Alaska since November. I found a blog post with NORSEX data here (yes, I know it's a "skeptic" blog but it is real data). The NSDIC has an interesting article on their website. Robert Felix of IceAgeNow.com has a post detailing his point of view on it, which should be obvious given the site's name but it's quite interesting, if for no other reason than to keep close track of cold and snow.

There were also hard freeze alerts in California. This is from April 5:

Quote:
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE EUREKA CA

NORTH COAST INTERIOR-MENDOCINO INTERIOR-

HARD FREEZE WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 2 AM TO 8 AM PDT FRIDAY…
AS SKIES CLEAR THIS EVENING AND WINDS SLACKEN TEMPERATURES WILL FALL QUICKLY THROUGH THE 30S WITH LOWS IN THE MID TO UPPER 20S FRIDAY MORNING.

LOCATIONS…INTERIOR AREAS OF HUMBOLDT…DEL NORTE AND MENDOCINO COUNTIES.
A blizzard warning has also been issued in Montana:

Quote:
VISIBILITIES NEAR ZERO AT TIMES.

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE GREAT FALLS MT

BLIZZARD WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM MDT SATURDAY…

INCLUDING LEWISTOWN…LEWISTOWN DIVIDE

HEAVIEST SNOWFALL EXPECTED FRIDAY MORNING AND AFTERNOON. WINDS WILL STRENGTHEN FRIDAY MORNING RESULTING IN BLIZZARD CONDITIONS… POOR VISIBILITIES AND WHITEOUT CONDITIONS WILL HAMPER TRAVEL AND OUTDOOR ACTIVITIES.

SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 20 INCHES EXPECTED IN THE MOUNTAINS… AROUND 24 INCHES POSSIBLE NEAR RIDGE TOPS. FOR LOWER ELEVATIONS… GENERALLY AN ADDITIONAL 5 TO 9 INCHES EXPECTED.

LIGHT WINDS…BECOMING NORTHERLY AT 10 TO 20 MPH TONIGHT AND INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 40 MPH FRIDAY AFTERNOON. THE COMBINATION OF STRONG WINDS AND FALLING SNOW WILL REDUCE VISIBILITIES TO NEAR ZERO AT TIMES.
ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY. HEAVY WET SNOW COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO TREES AND POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES. YOUNG UNPROTECTED LIVESTOCK COULD BECOME STRESSED.
A Winter Storm Warning has also been issued for parts of Montana, including my favorite climate in the lower 48, West Yellowstone .

Quote:
... WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT MDT TONIGHT...

A WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL MIDNIGHT MDT TONIGHT.

* TIMING AND MAIN IMPACT: SNOW WILL BE HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGH EARLY THIS AFTERNOON... BEFORE DIMINISHING THIS EVENING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS: STORM TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATION 5 TO 9 INCHES. 10 TO 20 INCHES IN THE MOUNTAINS.

* WINDS AND VISIBILITY: NORTH WINDS 10 TO 20 MPH WITH GUSTS TO 30 MPH WILL CREATE LOCALIZED BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW AND VISIBILITY WILL BE BELOW ONE QUARTER OF A MILE AT TIMES.

* OTHER IMPACTS: ROADS WILL BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY. HEAVY WET SNOW COULD CAUSE DAMAGE TO TREES AND POSSIBLE POWER OUTAGES. YOUNG UNPROTECTED LIVESTOCK COULD BECOME STRESSED.

* LOCATIONS AFFECTED INCLUDE: BATTLE RIDGE PASS... BOZEMAN... BOZEMAN PASS... TARGHEE PASS... WEST YELLOWSTONE... BIG HOLE PASS... CHIEF JOSEPH PASS... DILLON... MONIDA PASS... ENNIS... NORRIS HILL... RAYNOLDS PASS... TWIN BRIDGES.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS....

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IF YOU MUST... KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT... FOOD... AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

FOR SPECIFIC ROAD AND TRAVEL CONDITIONS IN MONTANA... DIAL 5 1 1.
I've decided to follow Cambium's lead and try to dig up some wintry finds across Laurentia and the rest of the world. This is a Spring thread, but remember that wintry weather is the other half of the season (summer weather being the other half, with spring being a transition season and all that ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather