U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-16-2012, 11:04 AM

2,789 posts, read 2,862,845 times

Advertisements

Might be the first AC day of the year today.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2012, 06:04 PM

2,541 posts, read 2,243,827 times
Already 26.36" of precip this year, which is almost as much precip as the entire year of 2008 (30").

Old 04-16-2012, 06:39 PM

28,013 posts, read 14,278,587 times
Did a 60 mile bike ride today. Was more tiring than I expected with the heat, being mostly inactive for the last half a year didn't help, particularly choosing a hill with a long, steep hill (800? feet, small section with close to 20% grade).

If the leaves were out larger they would have blocked the sun better and made it more comfortable. That being said, I'm surprised how many small green leaves I saw up in the hills. Normally the hills stay bare for a long time, until just about the end of April. Many of the country homes had lots of flowers and flowering bushes. In a week, there'll be few bare trees left and the hills will be a carpet of light green. A lot of trees have a tinge of brown on the edge of their leave; frost damage?

High was exactly as predicted; 90F. Bizarely, the skies were kinda cloudy at times, making it look like a much cooler day, especially with the amount of bare vegetation. Cloudy skies with a temperature in the high 80s and a dew point around 50F is a strange combination; I assumed the dew point was close to 60F from the sky cover. Fire danger is 4/5, with 5 being the highest. Found this surprising quote:

The region could see as much as 2 inches of rain over Saturday and Sunday, he said.

Hoping...

Old 04-16-2012, 06:44 PM

28,013 posts, read 14,278,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
If I were home a fan would have been sufficient. But my room at school gets hot and has no fans. I guess I could bring one, but I may as well not skimp out on indoor climate control since it costs an arm and a leg to be here anyway.

Expected to be near 90 F this afternoon.
You have A/C at college? Or are you not in a dorm?

I never had one in college; except one year. That dorm had it on needlessly (on days cooler than today, more like 80/55 and many times colder) and it wasn't me, I remember a number of people in the hall trying to figure out to close the vent. I'd wake up and be too cold. Try opening the windows, but it was colder outside than in.

Maybe A/C is more common in colleges in NJ than upstate NY? NYU does not have A/C in its dorms, though.

Old 04-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Status: "Brace yourselves! Arctic Front coming!" (set 14 days ago)

2,615 posts, read 1,810,068 times
Got about half an inch of snow Saturday night into Sunday. Today was in the 50s all day The rest of the week doesn't look bad, but getting on the warm side towards the weekend. Only good thing is I'm going to Alamosa this weekend, so I know I'll have colder nights.

Our forecast: 10 Day Weather Forecast for <location_name> - weather.com

Alamosa's: 10 Day Weather Forecast for <location_name> - weather.com

Old 04-16-2012, 09:09 PM

25,535 posts, read 13,795,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j96g View Post
Got about half an inch of snow Saturday night into Sunday.
Cool! You just reminded me to look for something. I know nothern Minnesota got 5-10" of snow this morning, I wanted to see if there was any videos of it. Maybe over coffee tomorrow. :-)

Old 04-16-2012, 09:32 PM

10,644 posts, read 5,859,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
You have A/C at college? Or are you not in a dorm?

I never had one in college; except one year. That dorm had it on needlessly (on days cooler than today, more like 80/55 and many times colder) and it wasn't me, I remember a number of people in the hall trying to figure out to close the vent. I'd wake up and be too cold. Try opening the windows, but it was colder outside than in.

Maybe A/C is more common in colleges in NJ than upstate NY? NYU does not have A/C in its dorms, though.
I'm in an apartment on campus. I don't know about the dorms.

I'm not sure if A/C is more common here. I doubt many people live here during the summer so it would really only be needed a handful of days at the end and the beginning of the school year.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 AM

25,535 posts, read 13,795,760 times
Anyone see whats out in the Atlantic? It's not tropical but it could mean 1 of two things.

1. It delays the NorthEast weekend storm (maybe thats why models have it for 24th now)
2. It surpresses it.

Check out the loop on it! http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/goes/east/eaus/flash-wv.html

Old 04-17-2012, 08:29 AM

4,445 posts, read 4,676,665 times
For those who follow the climate change debate

Just 0.2 F and April 2012 will be the third month in a row to make the list of the top 10 warmest months for each month going back to 1869 at Central Park. Today NYC should again see 80s (low /mid 60s are normal).

In the last 17 daysonly two day were not above normal!

Old 04-17-2012, 10:42 AM

10,644 posts, read 5,859,396 times
The North American warmth has been an outlier compared to global temperatures this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather