U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-25-2012, 07:00 AM

4,445 posts, read 4,772,591 times

Advertisements

For much of the USA east of the Rockies...the big spring question is what will May bring?

Many NWS stations reported very warm Feb, March, and now April. The question is will May follow with above normal warmth east of the Rockies? The newest short range is out...and here is how it looks:

It looks like many areas of the east will continue to see warm and dry conditions...while the southern plains looks to be drier...and much of the rest of the mainland should see seasonable temps. I guess we'll find out soon if this all is correct.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 09:20 AM

2,021 posts, read 1,447,621 times
Bummer.

I just wonder if we'll ever see cooler and wetter here in the SE - the drought is building rapidly, and little rain is forecast for our area for the foreseeable future. Par for the course, I'm afraid...

Old 04-25-2012, 11:38 AM

10,734 posts, read 6,012,214 times
Today should come close to average (maybe a degree below), but the rest of the week is expected to be below average with a chance of rain. The sun has been out here and there, but it's been pretty cloudy. Great weather.

This morning's low was 30 F.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:02 PM

5,130 posts, read 2,867,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Bummer.

I just wonder if we'll ever see cooler and wetter here in the SE - the drought is building rapidly, and little rain is forecast for our area for the foreseeable future. Par for the course, I'm afraid...
Yes, par for the course. It's awful. However, I would like to point out that it doesn't have to get wet again if it doesn't want to, at least as far as I prefer. Cold and dry will work just as well as cold and wet.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:30 PM

2,021 posts, read 1,447,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
Yes, par for the course. It's awful. However, I would like to point out that it doesn't have to get wet again if it doesn't want to, at least as far as I prefer. Cold and dry will work just as well as cold and wet.
Yeah, my preferences for weather is as follows (most likeable to least):

Cold and snowy
Cold and dry
Warm and wet
Cold and wet
Warm and dry
Hot and wet
Hot and dry

Old 04-25-2012, 02:07 PM

26,299 posts, read 14,366,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthStarDelight View Post
Yeah, my preferences for weather is as follows (most likeable to least):

Cold and snowy
Cold and dry
Warm and wet
Cold and wet
Warm and dry
Hot and wet
Hot and dry
Perfect expressions for each senario. We should make that our signature. LOL

Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 PM

14,942 posts, read 8,971,374 times
Lol, that's funny.

For me it would be the following:

Cold and snowy
Cold and dry
Cold and wet
Warm and wet
Warm and dry
Hot and wet
Hot and dry

Old 04-25-2012, 02:27 PM

28,629 posts, read 14,871,924 times
A weather underground blogger claimed that the recent snowstorm was the largest late April snow event since 1928; though I think it depends on how you define late April; parts of upstate NY got over a foot of snow on April 17, 2007.

I'm a bit puzzled why he claims Jonestown was the largest town to receive substantial snow and lower elevations below 1500 feet missed snow. Perhaps, he means in general and Ithaca was one of the few exceptions.

All in all, an interesting event to experience (as I've said, I've seen late season snow events before but only during unusually cold and snowy winters / early spring) and a good conclusion to some the strangest weather period I can remember.

Since August:

1) Torrential rain in August to early October, including one tropical storm
2) A record-breaking late October snowstorm
3) Almost continuous above average temperatures since September, though since early April it's been less unusual, at least where I am
4) Record breaking March heat wave
5) Unusually long dry period
6) Freak? late April snowstorm

Old 04-25-2012, 03:23 PM

26,299 posts, read 14,366,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nei View Post
A weather underground blogger claimed that the recent snowstorm was the largest late April snow event since 1928; though I think it depends on how you define late April; parts of upstate NY got over a foot of snow on April 17, 2007.

I'm a bit puzzled why he claims Jonestown was the largest town to receive substantial snow and lower elevations below 1500 feet missed snow. Perhaps, he means in general and Ithaca was one of the few exceptions.

All in all, an interesting event to experience (as I've said, I've seen late season snow events before but only during unusually cold and snowy winters / early spring) and a good conclusion to some the strangest weather period I can remember.

Since August:

1) Torrential rain in August to early October, including one tropical storm
2) A record-breaking late October snowstorm
3) Almost continuous above average temperatures since September, though since early April it's been less unusual, at least where I am
4) Record breaking March heat wave
5) Unusually long dry period
6) Freak? late April snowstorm
Thanks for the reminder. Did you know Ithica broke the daily snowfall record for 4/22? And you were a part of it. :-)

Here's a good summary of that storm including the latest Ski resort open ever in PA. Two Feet of snow in PA on April 22 | Ice Age Now

Old 04-25-2012, 03:54 PM

186 posts, read 145,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
It looks like many areas of the east will continue to see warm and dry conditions...while the southern plains looks to be drier...and much of the rest of the mainland should see seasonable temps. I guess we'll find out soon if this all is correct.
AccuWeather.com - Brett Anderson | Long-Range Forecast Model Update (http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-blogs/anderson/long-range-forecast-model-update-2/64469 - broken link)

Brett Anderson of Accuweather.com posted an update to his long range forecast (until May 20). According to the forecast, the east coast will mostly be seasonable, while the areas around the Midwest and the Great Lakes will be wet and warm. This model seems to be in agreement with what's published by the NWS

Climate Prediction Center - Forecasts & Outlook Maps, Graphs and Tables

The rest of this week looks like it's going to be colder than average though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather