U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2012, 08:34 AM

2,330 posts, read 1,616,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
That is okay/fine if that is your weather preferences since different people have different weather preferences.

However, you donít ever get bored of sunny warm/hot weather for at least 3 months and at least sometimes?

For June to September, I actually have similar weather preferences as you with enjoying sunny warm/hot weather. (80s/90s for highs and 60s/70s for lows).

However, for the rest of the year I prefer very different weather such as cooler temperatures, much more clouds, more rain, etc.

So what Hong Kong has for Late Winter/Early Spring (many cloudy/rainy/drizzly/foggy days in a row) is something I enjoy for that time of the year.

I know plenty of things about Hong Kong. This city has plenty of tropical/subtropical beaches and islands in the area, so I assumed this made it more laid back in some ways etc. And I was not necessarily saying it is very laid back, I was just saying the recent weather might be making it more laid back.

I also was not saying Hong Kongís air quality is good year round. I just donít think the air quality is always so bad. Air quality seems to vary a lot there between decently good air quality and bad air quality days which is true for plenty of big cities. Plus, Hong Kong has one of the highest life expectancy and well being rates in the world, so the air quality canít be that bad.

Hong Kong is one of those great places in the world where it is easy to overcome less than ideal weather.
I never get bored of sunny hot weather and I HATE Hong Kong's early spring weather

Hum, HK indeed has many islands, beaches, and green, undeveloped areas. But it's the opposite extreme : nothing is happening in those areas. Hong Kong is either unbelievably fast paced and crowded urban areas, or totally empty, natural areas. It's hard to find something in the middle, like a place where you can just enjoy a coffee in the sunshine in a pedestrian street or whatever

The argument about life expectancy is irrelevant, HK's air quality is terrible, no need to prove anything about that
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2012, 09:00 AM

10,436 posts, read 5,492,032 times
The fluctuation between Thursday and yesterday was crazy, though not unheard of either. It went from 70 F and breezy Thursday afternoon (and still 65 F around midnight) to cold and blustery (30s) late Friday afternoon. This must be similar to what the south often experiences during the winter.

Old 03-10-2012, 10:03 AM

5,038 posts, read 2,567,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovemycomputer90 View Post
The fluctuation between Thursday and yesterday was crazy, though not unheard of either. It went from 70 F and breezy Thursday afternoon (and still 65 F around midnight) to cold and blustery (30s) late Friday afternoon. This must be similar to what the south often experiences during the winter.
It does seem similar to conditions sometimes experienced in the Southeast, although monotonous warmth is more common. Of course it depends greatly on the particular winter and where you go - New Orleans will have a lot more monotony than Nashville.

I'd certainly call what you experienced a decent swing, from 70F to about 35F. Still it's just a washout from really warm to merely mild, even if it's unusual for your area, and not what I'd call an up-and-down pattern, as I noted in a previous post. For there to be a real up-and-down pattern, there has to be changes from warmth/heat to cold and preferably snow, preferably repeated several times. 30's F doesn't cut it. And from what I gather from Newark's forecast you're slated to go right back to extreme warmth in the 60's and 70's Fahrenheit in a matter of 2 days. Some cold shot (of course I know your attitudes, and both of us would milk it for all it's worth).

Old 03-10-2012, 10:30 AM

26,489 posts, read 12,870,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
IFor there to be a real up-and-down pattern, there has to be changes from warmth/heat to cold and preferably snow, preferably repeated several times. 30's F doesn't cut it.
Well we kinda had snow after our warm spot, even if it was brief, and one of the coldest nights of the winter just before (10įF).

And the snow patch across the street survives!

Hoping for green grass next week...

Old 03-10-2012, 05:19 PM

1,712 posts, read 1,424,785 times
After this lame winter with barely any snow on the ground, 60s and sunny is great! That is my favorite non-snowy weather. Hopefully it's a sign of a prolonged spring instead of an early summer.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:03 PM

4,297 posts, read 1,460,676 times
Snow should be gone by this time next week.

Old 03-10-2012, 06:16 PM

7,039 posts, read 3,691,350 times
So it turns out that after the sunny false start to spring this high pressure is going to be choked with cloud and gloom for the next week at least. What a crock of balls.

Old 03-11-2012, 01:33 AM

14,382 posts, read 7,887,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Weatherfan2 View Post
So it turns out that after the sunny false start to spring this high pressure is going to be choked with cloud and gloom for the next week at least. What a crock of balls.
Not a cloud in the sky here. The Met Office are being stupid at the moment, their text forecast contradicts their graphic forecast. No significant rain in the forecast either until at least Sunday next week. 10.2mm / 0.4in for the month, so could be another dry one, well, not for those in Kent who got over 40mm / 1.5in

Old 03-11-2012, 01:43 AM

18,265 posts, read 8,358,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
Not a cloud in the sky here. The Met Office are being stupid at the moment, their text forecast contradicts their graphic forecast. No significant rain in the forecast either until at least Sunday next week. 10.2mm / 0.4in for the month, so could be another dry one, well, not for those in Kent who got over 40mm / 1.5in
I woke up not too long ago, and was greeted with a sheet of gray across the sky (like every morning so far) supposed to be 60įF down here and partly cloudy today

Old 03-11-2012, 06:11 AM

7,039 posts, read 3,691,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dunno what to put here View Post
I typed this last night after looking at the BBC forecast.

However it appears as though my rant was impromptu as it is indeed sunny here. What a surprise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Weather